You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ph3l0n

Why is the Izumo the trash can of Battleships and a T9

30 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Beta Testers
167 posts
989 battles

Title says it all.  How did this heap of expletive make it past Q/A?  It has been around 3 years and still this god damn bad?  I feel like it needs to be a T4 or worse ship.  Can I just pay RL money to skip this garbage can?  Every other T9 BB is good, and this one is a heap of crap.

Edited by ph3l0n
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[TBW]
Members
6,311 posts
11,857 battles

Because I just made the credits to buy it today and now I have the Garbage Scow grind to the Yamato.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,222 posts
4,732 battles

I'm on the edge of Izumo but I hear few if any kind words about her...pretty much decided to power past it to Yamato with free XP instead.

[MVKS]
Beta Testers
167 posts
989 battles
8 minutes ago, Jim_Byrnes said:

I'm on the edge of Izumo but I hear few if any kind words about her...pretty much decided to power past it to Yamato with free XP instead.

I am trying to do that.  I was 100k short, even after converting 150k with dubloons.  4k Dubloons and still couldn't swag past her 325k price tag.

[-BSS-]
Members
384 posts
5,891 battles

I started to enjoy it once it was fully upgraded and I actually was a little sad to have to sell it to afford the Yamato.

• Cool 1

[ENNUI]
[ENNUI]
Beta Testers
30 posts
6,930 battles

I enjoy the Izumo.  It helped teach me how to angle with the Yamato.  Upgraded and played correctly, it's a good boat, especially with the armor changes,.

The trash cans of battleships are the researchable USN battleships from T3-T7.

Edited by C_Scrutinized
added comment
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
855 posts
3,419 battles

People lie about the Izumo, it feels bad only because the amagi is so good. The amagi, however; does not train you to be a good Yamato captain.  Unless you have the free-xp t9 little Yamato I don't recommend skipping the Izumo, you are only going to be bad yamato player if you do. The Izumo moves and feels similar to the Yamato, the only different between the two is firepower in terms of the guns. The Izumo still has decent guns. 

• Cool 2

[SCREW]
Members
538 posts
5,463 battles
23 minutes ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

The Izumo still has decent guns. 

Yeah too bad they got everything else wrong.... That gasoline soaked kindling deck is pretty impressive tho...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles
1 hour ago, ph3l0n said:

Can I just pay RL money to skip this garbage can?

Yes you can ... if you have enough convertable XP and money to do so. Having that with only 848 battles might be an issue tho ...

[MVKS]
Beta Testers
167 posts
989 battles
10 hours ago, Umikami said:

Yes you can ... if you have enough convertable XP and money to do so. Having that with only 848 battles might be an issue tho ...

I was a 125k off of free exp.  I am now only 50k off.

[NMKJT]
Members
1,726 posts
4,967 battles

For bad T9 BBs, you're thinking of FDG. Izumo was never as underpowered as her, and now with the buff she's pretty decent. Izumo can be a good gunship most of the time, but FDG is very situational.

[ARP2]
Members
1,221 posts
3,566 battles

There are two types of WoWs players:  people who hate Izumo and wierdos.

Never lend money to wierdos.

• Funny 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles

Before the recent buffs, as an opponent, I at least respected Izumo's guns.  Those are actually real good.  The 3rd turret arrangement is annoying though as it can't be used much.  If she got a Nelson gun arrangement, I'd say Izumo with her current buffs would look very good.

[BARON]
Members
24 posts
8,160 battles

The recent nerf to the Alsace and buff to the Izumo have evened them up a bit. In fact, I've been doing better in the Iz of late and often struggle to get 75k damage in the Alsace. That 2sec reload nerf on the Ally seems like forever. It makes her a bit tougher to brawl.

If you haven't tried the Izumo since the buffs, give her a go. The reduced detectability helped the most for me.

Members
945 posts
5,676 battles
On 8/29/2018 at 9:03 PM, ph3l0n said:

Title says it all.  How did this heap of expletive make it past Q/A?  It has been around 3 years and still this god damn bad?  I feel like it needs to be a T4 or worse ship.  Can I just pay RL money to skip this garbage can?  Every other T9 BB is good, and this one is a heap of crap.

You insult the dignitiy of the FDG, trying to wrest its rightful crown as worst T9 BB and place it upon an undeserving vessel!

On 8/31/2018 at 4:47 PM, MnemonScarlet said:

For bad T9 BBs, you're thinking of FDG. ...FDG is very situational.

Agreed, situational:

1. If you need a ship that will burn, FDG will be your funeral pyre.

2. If you need a ship that will inexplicably miss targets, FDG will answer the call.

3. Need insufficient barrels? FDG? Check!

4. Need a ship where what strengths it has are of poor utility against its competition? FDG, he's your man!! If he can't do it, well anyone can!!!

Outside of those situations, the FDG is pretty lame.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,765 posts
5,805 battles

The izzy isnt a 'down the pipe' kinda ship, its a map edge/island huggin kinda ship. The back turret is mostly useless no matter what, as with Yammy if you expose your side enough to use that 3rd gun, you will eat citadels and heavy damage hits from equal tier ships. Im not sure how it handles post buff, but pre buff the Izzy was weak before the hull upgrade and entirely useable after. I skipped the stock hull and I would strongly suggest ppl skip the stock hull but play the upgraded hull.

As has been said, driving Izzy will teach you to Yamato. Without that experience you will be too tempted to use the rear turret and your demise will be much quicker for it if you cant time it perfectly. BTW, Yamato also burns like its covered in gas, often requiring just a single cruiser shell to ignite it. I would recommend a 4th heal for captain skills too, you'll often live long enough to use/need it.

• Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,574 battles

the ship was known as a "lemon gate" ship. either grit through the grind or free XP your way past it.

[DIEBL]
Members
38 posts
2,907 battles

The Izumo has a 57mm deck. That's not bad at all.

• Cool 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
1 hour ago, Swadian said:

The Izumo has a 57mm deck. That's not bad at all.

Correct.  A traditional, common complaint of Old Izumo was the fact that she got penned very easily.  HE spam in particular quickly bit off chunks of HP.  I'm not talking Fires, that's easily dealt with.  I'm talking raw HE penetrating shell damage.  Old Izumo got worked over very quickly.  The deck armor buff is substantial, FFS, Tier VII-X German BBs "only" get 50mm deck.  On the flip side to the current game, French and RN BBs with their 32mm decks get eaten alive by HE shell damage.  I remember playing Richelieu and a Schors was taking significant chunks of HP from long range.  You can watch Haragumo videos on YouTube and see Republique getting ripped apart.  I watch Flamu attack a GK and get lots of Non-Pens because of shells falling on GK's 50mm deck, but against a Republique and its 32mm deck, nothing but pens, unless the shells land on a main battery turret.

But Izumo will continue to suffer because of her old reputation.  It's going to take some time, if at all, for her reputation to improve.  Because anyone right now that asks, "How is the Izumo now?"  Will get nothing but answers by the players that worked on her before the buffs.

There's no going around it, she was bad before the buffs, and the extra armor is very big welcome.  But even then there was this unavoidable truth.

For as bad as Pre-Buff Izumo was, statistically, she performed just as well as Iowa.

• Cool 2

Members
60 posts
365 battles
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:03 PM, ph3l0n said:

that's because wg.net need a little chuckle before they hand you a Yamato. 

Members
504 posts
2,823 battles
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, ph3l0n said:

Except it isnt bad. Its got the best guns and armor of its tier. I've done 4 BB lines so far and Izumo is right up there with Iowa. I enjoyed it far more than Amagi which I thought had stupidly temperamental dispersion and its reflected since my Izumo average damage is 20% higher than Amagi. FDG was the stand out turd for me.

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,557 posts
14,005 battles
12 hours ago, ksix said:

Except it isnt bad. Its got the best guns and armor of its tier. I've done 4 BB lines so far and Izumo is right up there with Iowa. I enjoyed it far more than Amagi which I thought had stupidly temperamental dispersion and its reflected since my Izumo average damage is 20% higher than Amagi. FDG was the stand out turd for me.

Izumo's dispersion is actually really good.  The funny part was I had skipped her after doing Amagi to get Yamato.  I purchased Izumo way after because I was curious.  This was before her current buffs.  Yes, I was getting HE penned easy, but the guns are wonderfully consistent with great patterns.  The old, easily penned armor and the awkward 3rd turret position holds this ship back from being dominant.  With the current, buffed armor, give Izumo the Nelson turret arrangement and you got a Tier IX monster of a BB.

• Cool 1

[BARON]
Members
24 posts
8,160 battles
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Correct.  A traditional, common complaint of Old Izumo was the fact that she got penned very easily.  HE spam in particular quickly bit off chunks of HP.  I'm not talking Fires, that's easily dealt with.  I'm talking raw HE penetrating shell damage.  Old Izumo got worked over very quickly.  The deck armor buff is substantial, FFS, Tier VII-X German BBs "only" get 50mm deck.  On the flip side to the current game, French and RN BBs with their 32mm decks get eaten alive by HE shell damage.  I remember playing Richelieu and a Schors was taking significant chunks of HP from long range.  You can watch Haragumo videos on YouTube and see Republique getting ripped apart.  I watch Flamu attack a GK and get lots of Non-Pens because of shells falling on GK's 50mm deck, but against a Republique and its 32mm deck, nothing but pens, unless the shells land on a main battery turret.

But Izumo will continue to suffer because of her old reputation.  It's going to take some time, if at all, for her reputation to improve.  Because anyone right now that asks, "How is the Izumo now?"  Will get nothing but answers by the players that worked on her before the buffs.

There's no going around it, she was bad before the buffs, and the extra armor is very big welcome.  But even then there was this unavoidable truth.

For as bad as Pre-Buff Izumo was, statistically, she performed just as well as Iowa.

I agree about the pre-buff deserving her reputation. I stopped playing it and missed that it got buffed. I can tell a big difference in how much damage it takes. Also, the better concealment is great. I think the Izumo is now on a decent par with other T9 bb/s