You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Ranked Battles, the biggest waste of my time

64 comments in this topic

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles

Another year another Rank Battles. Same as before, win one, lose one, win two, lose one, lose two win one etc. Ranked battles is nothing more than Random Battles but much worse. 

Ranking isn't based on anything more than your luck getting the better team and nothing more. Sure, they give you a bunch of flags but you need them because you will go through them quicker than you realize. 
This year I thought I'd do what I usually have in the past, get to about Rank 16-15 and then quit. However, my luck has it that I've been stuck at Rank 18 for three days. For those quick to blame me …  note that I didn't lose any stars in more than 50% of battles.

All I'm saying is that there is a ridiculous assumption that you are ranked on something when in fact you aren't. If you can get a team that stays together, selects targets and focus fires on the targets there's a good chance you will win. On the other hand if you get my typical team (2 battles ago) where we had two AFK ships  or my last battle where two ships ventured on their own and a cruiser decided to hide behind an island across the map by himself ….you will find yourself on the losing team.

I'm pretty much done wasting any more time and consumables in Ranks. perhaps WG will create a Battle mode one day that actually moves you up the ranks based on your performance…. nahhhh, that's too easy.  

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[STW]
Members
274 posts
6,280 battles

How about you offer suggestions with the criticism. Simply complaining about something is easy.

Edited by Robinhood_
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[APOC-]
Beta Testers
328 posts
4,076 battles
16 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Another year another Rank Battles. Same as before, win one, lose one, win two, lose one, lose two win one etc. Ranked battles is nothing more than Random Battles but much worse. 

Ranking isn't based on anything more than your luck getting the better team and nothing more. Sure, they give you a bunch of flags but you need them because you will go through them quicker than you realize. 
This year I thought I'd do what I usually have in the past, get to about Rank 16-15 and then quit. However, my luck has it that I've been stuck at Rank 18 for three days. For those quick to blame me …  note that I didn't lose any stars in more than 50% of battles.

All I'm saying is that there is a ridiculous assumption that you are ranked on something when in fact you aren't. If you can get a team that stays together, selects targets and focus fires on the targets there's a good chance you will win. On the other hand if you get my typical team (2 battles ago) where we had two AFK ships  or my last battle where two ships ventured on their own and a cruiser decided to hide behind an island across the map by himself ….you will find yourself on the losing team.

I'm pretty much done wasting any more time and consumables in Ranks. perhaps WG will create a Battle mode one day that actually moves you up the ranks based on your performance…. nahhhh, that's too easy.  

Git gud.

Bad team? Carry them.

As for AFKs, we all get them, especially the last 2 days. It has been rather unstable. Loaded in late post crash once myself today.

If you have a 50% win rate it is going to be a long grind. I personally feel that they should reduce the stars at 10+ by 1 just to shorten it a little. A 60%+ guy shouldn't have to play more than 100 battles.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 11

[TBW]
Members
6,296 posts
11,856 battles
37 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

All I'm saying is that there is a ridiculous assumption that you are ranked on something when in fact you aren't.

All you have to do is play 5 games and that assumption goes right out the window.

[WORX]
Members
1,627 posts
12,630 battles
23 minutes ago, Robinhood_ said:

How about you offer suggestions with the criticism. Simply complaining about something is easy.

^^^ I recommend having two seasons of ranked one for only  tier X ships. The other season having mix tier Ranked that excludes tier X. IMO, having Tier X from ranked 16 to 2 is way to long. Must battles I have been so far, the match only gets exciting at the 10min or halfway mark. 

Its easy to get recognized for complaining that is why in the forums people complain. Will my suggestion get the attention of those that be? I don;t think so lol.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles

I'm at level 12 and am hoping to get to level 10, which is where I've stopped in the past seasons. Last season I was too busy to devote much time to rank so only got to level 13. I've gleaned enough "merch" from Ranked already to have made it worthwhile though. In fact, I was running dry on signals and Ranked has pretty much restocked my coffers. I'd suggest trying to get at least to level 15 for the cost-reduction flag if you find yourself having trouble playing higher tiers die to the cost.

Members
855 posts
3,411 battles

Since random battles are basically the same, why not play more ranked where you at least get something out of it if you stick with it long enough? What else are you going to do? 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
491 posts
4,063 battles

I also think that ranked is a waste of time based on the play from last season so I simply never started this season. If it isn't worth your time then don't play it. If enough players agree with you and also decide not to play maybe WG will adjust it.

Personally I am just playing randoms like normal.

• Cool 1

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

Speak for yourself.  I enjoyed ranked this season, 25 battles to rank 10 and I am done.  Already earned my Jolly Roger in another season, so the motivation to keep going is not there, but rewards up to rank 10 were worth the 25 battles.

• Cool 1

[APOC-]
Beta Testers
328 posts
4,076 battles
1 minute ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

What else are you going to do? 

Cry and [edited]. Like everyone else posting ranked topics.

The Problem is these people think they are good at the game. Therefore their entitlement of being only able to win 50% of their games makes them very angry when they do not progress. "WG should change the way ranked works! I want to be the third best in xp, on the losing team, and not lose a star." It's all nonsense.

It's simple: ranked=the better you are the less you grind. Is the Grind to long? Probably, But being a forum baby won't make you be able to compete.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[-AGW-]
Members
632 posts
9,292 battles

What exactly does one get out of it? 

I'm enjoying randoms without some of the over-achievers.

I'm not knocking ranked as I did pretty well last night. Now I wait a bit for the fanatics to pass through.

Edited by NashW8

[O_O]
Members
662 posts
6,038 battles

haha...nah...not much of a waste...just go up to lvl15 then stop...lol 

all them flags and prizes get from each level are good!  lucky i started from lvl 21...so got all them goodies up to lvl 15. was fresh out of flags to needed them ^_^....after getting to lvl15....went back to my normal games...^_^

[LOU1]
Members
2,844 posts
7,974 battles

The primary rewards for many players are flags, doubloons, and steel.  Plus, the opportunity to practice in a Tier 8 or 10 ship without affecting your main stats.  I think the frustration is an unneeded overlay.  I know that, and still fall for it - getting frustrated at times for losing a star.

• Cool 1

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles
47 minutes ago, FirstOfOne said:

Git gud.

Bad team? Carry them.

As for AFKs, we all get them, especially the last 2 days. It has been rather unstable. Loaded in late post crash once myself today.

If you have a 50% win rate it is going to be a long grind. I personally feel that they should reduce the stars at 10+ by 1 just to shorten it a little. A 60%+ guy shouldn't have to play more than 100 battles.

who's little brother are you?

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts
1 hour ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I’m with ya 100%. Knew before it started that a t10 ranked was gonna be a boondoggle this time. Particularly with T8 topping out at rank 15. Decided I was going to skip this season and haven’t heard anything that would change my mind. Decided playing for fun was more important to me than weeks of stress and frustration for some arbitrary number next to my name. 

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,971 battles
Just now, ExploratorOne said:

The primary rewards for many players are flags, doubloons, and steel.  Plus, the opportunity to practice in a Tier 8 or 10 ship without affecting your main stats.  I think the frustration is an unneeded overlay.  I know that, and still fall for it - getting frustrated at times for losing a star.

^^ This ^^

I do like advancing in ranks.   One star to get to Irrevocable R12.    I'm using ranked for the flags, dubs, and steel.   Also loading up the flags and building that Elite Captain XP and working on the grind for the unique upgrades.     I'm not losing money playing Ranked, so once I get to 12, it'll just be a vehicle to grind....     

Members
855 posts
3,411 battles
12 minutes ago, FirstOfOne said:

Cry and [edited]. Like everyone else posting ranked topics.

The Problem is these people think they are good at the game. Therefore their entitlement of being only able to win 50% of their games makes them very angry when they do not progress. "WG should change the way ranked works! I want to be the third best in xp, on the losing team, and not lose a star." It's all nonsense.

It's simple: ranked=the better you are the less you grind. Is the Grind to long? Probably, But being a forum baby won't make you be able to compete.

I feel ya. I have pretty much accepted that I am going to have to play ranked likely the entire event to have a shot at ranking out. I have accepted it and will do it because I want to rank out at least once. 

[-AA-]
Beta Testers
297 posts
2,039 battles

hello I play late at  night I start playing around 1:45 am until almost 4 am I do play couple rank battles  and I sat one for 5 min. before the battle started

[RKLES]
Members
7,083 posts
8,720 battles

Wonder if they need 1 or 2 more irrevocable Ranks? Like one at Rank 5 might be good and maybe one inbetween 12 and 5?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 4

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,269 battles

Ranked is not fun at all. Rage inducing, yup.

• Cool 3

[BBC]
Members
908 posts
12,224 battles
16 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Wonder if they need 1 or 2 more irrevocable Ranks? Like one at Rank 5 might be good and maybe one inbetween 12 and 5?

they used to have one at rank 10 and rank 5,  but then say a lucky 45% player could get  a string of wins and advance and they stay in the top que making everyone rage :)  one guy  even trolled his team for hundreds of games at rank 5 because he couldnt go any lower.  he would tk susicide go sit in a corner etc..  all the time  talking crap on his team, until chat banned.

with rank 12 being the last  it really does separate the skill level, until all the better players rank out  etc,,

[STW]
Members
274 posts
6,280 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

^^^ I recommend having two seasons of ranked one for only  tier X ships. The other season having mix tier Ranked that excludes tier X. IMO, having Tier X from ranked 16 to 2 is way to long. Must battles I have been so far, the match only gets exciting at the 10min or halfway mark. 

Its easy to get recognized for complaining that is why in the forums people complain. Will my suggestion get the attention of those that be? I don;t think so lol.

If the community gets together, devs take notice. Now they not act on it straight away however it may be taken into consideration for the future. Offering better suggestions and constructive criticism is far better than just whining about something.

Edited by Robinhood_

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,307 posts
11,399 battles

Wow, you must be playing with new people.

I played 2 battles in my Lo Yang and got put into tier 10 battles now.

Ran into a team that set a plan, stuck to it and rolled the enemy team in 10 minutes... it was glorious to be on that team.

I saved a star playing a Gearing..... yes a destroyer saving a star...

I have seen ranked 12 to 8 on enemy team just stomp our team...

Ranked is it's own flavor.

Sometimes you get randoms and sometimes you get players who know how to play...

Just have to do 3 things to win.

Get more points than the other team.

Stay alive.

Focus fire.

Make a plan and stick with it.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
1 hour ago, NashW8 said:

What exactly does one get out of it? 

I'm enjoying randoms without some of the over-achievers.

And the T8 MM in randoms seems a little better too. Only had one T10 match where there were only 2 T8s and 2 T9s, and I pulled a 2nd place finish out of my butt on a win. :Smile_great: