You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

About Destroyer_KuroshioKai's Shimakaze Videos

9 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,265 battles

Hello everyone.

I tried a little experiment. I watched all of the Shimakaze video’s posted on YouTube by @Destroyer_Kuroshiokai. I then went out and tried to practice what he preached. I kept stats to determine if his advice was worthwhile or not (or at least to try to prove it to myself).

I freely admit that I was terrible at the Shima before this, and that I’d not tried to learn the ship too deeply. I’d played it enough to know that I didn’t like it, but not enough to say that I’d really tried to learn her ways.

This test ran for one month. I didn’t run the Shima exclusively, but I did get 66 games in as I worked toward the Legendary Upgrade.

Initial win rate was 37.5%. Current win rate is 47.6%

Initial average experience was 1237. Current XP average is 1653.

Initial average damage was 41,250. Current average damage is 61,777. I did a million damage points in the past 13 games, so for that number of games the average damage was just shy of 77k.

Total kills went from 11 to 81, so the average went from .69 to .99 kills per game.

So yes, the videos were very helpful.

Thanks, Kuro! 

• Cool 4

Members
1,620 posts
9,721 battles
13 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

Hello everyone.

I tried a little experiment. I watched all of the Shimakaze video’s posted on YouTube by @Destroyer_Kuroshiokai. I then went out and tried to practice what he preached. I kept stats to determine if his advice was worthwhile or not (or at least to try to prove it to myself).

I freely admit that I was terrible at the Shima before this, and that I’d not tried to learn the ship too deeply. I’d played it enough to know that I didn’t like it, but not enough to say that I’d really tried to learn her ways.

This test ran for one month. I didn’t run the Shima exclusively, but I did get 66 games in as I worked toward the Legendary Upgrade.

Initial win rate was 37.5%. Current win rate is 47.6%

Initial average experience was 1237. Current XP average is 1653.

Initial average damage was 41,250. Current average damage is 61,777. I did a million damage points in the past 13 games, so for that number of games the average damage was just shy of 77k.

Total kills went from 11 to 81, so the average went from .69 to .99 kills per game.

So yes, the videos were very helpful.

Thanks, Kuro! 

I am glad to hear it.  More than a few think I'm some sort of mad man running my Shima when everyone else is in Yue Yangs, Gearings, or Grozovoys.

I have been trying to get people to understand just how badly the average person, and even some good DD players, play this ship wrong.  She is quite the singular beast probably requiring the most skill to unlock her full potential.  Her and her torp boat sisters have tactics differing from any other DDs in the game.  I do think her full potential is superior in this Worcester/radar Mino meta than Gearing, Yue Yang (what good is a 7.5km radar vs a 9.9km radar), and most of all Z-52. 

Just curious, are you running F3s?

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,265 battles
1 minute ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I am glad to hear it.  More than a few think I'm some sort of mad man running my Shima when everyone else is in Yue Yangs, Gearings, or Grozovoys.

I have been trying to get people to understand just how badly the average person, and even some good DD players, play this ship wrong.  She is quite the singular beast probably requiring the most skill to unlock her full potential.  Her and her torp boat sisters have tactics differing from any other DDs in the game.  I do think her full potential is superior in this Worcester/radar Mino meta than Gearing, Yue Yang (what good is a 7.5km radar vs a 9.9km radar), and most of all Z-52. 

I've run the F3's in three ranked games, but that's it so far. I've had smashing successes in two of those games, and the third was a complete disaster. They are fun to use on the slow moving IJN gunboats, and I've surprised a couple of CAs with them. 

Members
1,620 posts
9,721 battles
3 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

I've run the F3's in three ranked games, but that's it so far. I've had smashing successes in two of those games, and the third was a complete disaster. They are fun to use on the slow moving IJN gunboats, and I've surprised a couple of CAs with them. 

A few CUTE/CUTER guys took the leap following me after seeing the numbers I was putting up.  @Ducati_Black last I checked had a 75% WR when he hit rank 5.  Just play the defensive screen for your team initially.  Let your team get the red DDs hammered and the rest will have to push.  Then the fun begins.

Keep at it.  As painful as it is, rewatch your replays of the horrible games.  There is always learning opportunities waiting for you.  That lesson will carry over into future games.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,925 battles

I used to be a DD main, way back when, and might restart the IJN line towards my original intended target: Shimakaze. Might watch the videos, or others, to see what's up. Good luck to you, OP.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,116 posts
2,507 battles

Wait, the F3s, those aren't the 8km ones are they? 

Also, glad to hear about your improvements! 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,709 battles

If the range of F3 are too suicidal to your taste, try TA with the 12km one. 9.6km puts you on the edge of most radars but is much manageable than F3. It has the same reaction time, a wee bit slower speed. It's functionally an F3 with 20% more range.

The downside is the longer reload.

Members
622 posts
6,893 battles
On 8/29/2018 at 2:19 PM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I'll take a look at your videos.

Word search you on Youtube I'm guessing. 

Shimakaze is a tough boat to play well.

Most of the time I feel like the only reason I'm there playing her is to punish captains who make bad decisions.

Otherwise, it's hard to land hits.

I may learn something new.

Thanks.

Members
1,620 posts
9,721 battles
5 hours ago, Capt_Mexib said:

I'll take a look at your videos.

Word search you on Youtube I'm guessing. 

Shimakaze is a tough boat to play well.

Most of the time I feel like the only reason I'm there playing her is to punish captains who make bad decisions.

Otherwise, it's hard to land hits.

I may learn something new.

Thanks.

You should see a link in my signature.  If not here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CVV_QxU4CesZL5pvdJw4A

I have tried to arrange things in play lists so guys can narrow down the video selection as there is a little over 100 videos up now.  This was always something I wish others did so it wasnt so hard to find every video done for a certain ship line.

As always if you have any questions, comments or requests just leave a comment.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai