You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xanthro

Ranked Star Change Proposal, Stars base on XP

12 comments in this topic

[DENY]
Members
159 posts
6,541 battles

Ranked play is supposed to be about how an individual ship plays, hence why we can't division in Ranked matches, but all awards are based on team outcome, except for saving a star as being top XP on a team.

Everyone who has played many ranked battles has seen matches where a player plays awesome and still loses a star, and save a star affects game significantly.

If stars were awarded by XP, such as one star per 1,000 XP, and you lose a star if under 1,000 XP, then individual play would be more significantly rewarded. Since a winning team gets extra XP, almost always a star would be rewarded, but those players who break 2,000 would get 2 stars, and those players on the losing side who break 1,000 would still get a star. Or make it so that a star isn't lost when a player on the losing side gets 1,000+ XP.

I've seen a number of matches where truly outstanding play resulted in a loss of a star, and no, I'm not the one who lost the star.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
7,354 battles

...This is actually a really good idea, and I don't just say that because I've lost 4 stars so far with a combined 18 points out of 1st place on the team, breaking 1200 base XP in the loss each time.

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,580 battles

This would not work. What if you are in a DD and spend the whole game spotting? Like it or not, these are team games. Team wins and losses are what matter.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

Absolutely not, until they fix teamplay XP, particularly for destroyers.

• Cool 3

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

I actually think that’s better than what I had been wanting. I only thought set them for XP on the losing team. So you need like 1200 XP to save a star. I’ve had a few games where 3 people on my team have ended with like 1300+ XP and the others have like 400. Just seems unfair to have 3 great players and 4 horrible ones and 6 are treated like the worst.

Your idea takes the cake though. If you are destroyed at the start and your team manages to pull out a win I feel like you shouldn’t be rewarded. You didn’t contribute. 

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

This would not work. What if you are in a DD and spend the whole game spotting? Like it or not, these are team games. Team wins and losses are what matter.

I think the spotting system needs a rework to reward DD’s for teamwork. Then maybe this could work. I wish they would do something like this.

• Cool 1

Members
855 posts
3,426 battles

Worst idea then saving a star for xp. 

I swear people just want to use teammates as meatshields while they sit in the back in there Blackboard and farm damage.. And now they want rank based on this! NO WAY!

Ranked should always be about winning, if you want to rank up win, losses, everyone should lose a star. 

Edited by Slumlord_Cheeto

[WNSTN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
28 posts
1,740 battles

Top 8 in base XP from both teams should advance, the bottom 6 do not.  A team Winning or Losing has nothing to to with individual Ranked game-play.

[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

Best solution is to make available a magic button that you could activate to auto-boost you to the top of the score board, one time use per day, for situation where you sucked real bad and didn't contribute anything but needed the top dog position to save the star.    :)

[DENY]
Members
159 posts
6,541 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I play DDs in ranked as well. It's pretty rare that a winning DD does not have 1,000+ points, and often can break that on the losing side as well. Spotting gives points, it just doesn't give enough points based on the risk and the contribution for a win.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
491 posts
4,270 battles

I support this!!   Ranking by Xp makes more sense than ranking by RNG.

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,946 posts
6,549 battles

Ehhh.

Too many things that result in winning games aren't rewarded by the game. You don't get much or any rewards for, among other things:

• Effectively utilizing RPF
  • Communicating with teammates 
  • Coordinating a gameplan
  • Spotting damage (both DDs and radar CAs)
  • Positioning/crossfiring (and/or setting these up)
  • Denying caps
  • Capping (you get some.. not meaningful amounts, particularly when it's contested)
  • Focus firing to secure kills (vs damage farming)

These all are fairly critical to making a game into a win at levels of teamplay and none of which are meaningfully rewarded by in-game XP.