You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
USSCurtis

Will WG nerf Lyon?

27 comments in this topic

Members
94 posts
6,220 battles

I am grinding to it because I keep reading/seeing how great/broken/OP it is. All the superlatives make me nervous that they “re-balance” it as soon as I get it. BTW, Tier VII is my ceiling, especially for BBs. I doubt I’ll go higher for a long time. Thanks

Actually I’m enjoying Normandie, so I don’t mind the grind, it’s spending the silver I worry about

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,745 battles

Not sure since I have been able to tear Lyon to pieces with variety of ships easily enough and often enough. The large number of main guns, ok Secondaries, and reasonable speed are what Lyon has going for it, but the armor tends to be rather soft on it, or at least when I shoot at it at least it feels easy enough to damage it.and wanting to say that the Lyon n guns may be weaker pen than some of it’s rivals as well.

• Cool 1

[OKM]
Members
65 posts
1,602 battles

Lyon isn’t broken. Sure it got a huge broadside and some awsome AA, but it got a fairly outdated armor (the same that Normandie), need to show all his flank to use its 16 guns and low caliber for a tier 7. It may be a cruiser killer, but it isn’t really great against other tier 7 bb.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
9 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

I am grinding to it because I keep reading/seeing how great/broken/OP it is. All the superlatives make me nervous that they “re-balance” it as soon as I get it. BTW, Tier VII is my ceiling, especially for BBs. I doubt I’ll go higher for a long time. Thanks

Actually I’m enjoying Normandie, so I don’t mind the grind, it’s spending the silver I worry about

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Not sure since I have been able to tear Lyon to pieces with variety of ships easily enough and often enough. The large number of main guns, ok Secondaries, and reasonable speed are what Lyon has going for it, but the armor tends to be rather soft on it, or at least when I shoot at it at least it feels easy enough to damage it.and wanting to say that the Lyon n guns may be weaker pen than some of it’s rivals as well.

I have not heard of any nerfs coming for the Lyon, and like Admiral_Thrawn said its armor is soft, I have sunk it with my HSF Admiral Graf Spee, the Lyon does not like the torpedoes.

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,745 battles
Just now, Chaos_EN2 said:

I have not heard of any nerfs coming for the Lyon, and like Admiral_Thrawn said its armor is soft, I have sunk it with my HSF Admiral Graf Spee, the Lyon does not like the torpedoes.

Yeah and I had forgotten to mention that it also was lacking in Torpedo protection department as well.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah and I had forgotten to mention that it also was lacking in Torpedo protection department as well.

Well do not get me wrong, it sometimes hurts to get those Torps on Target :cap_haloween:LOL:cap_haloween:

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,745 battles
4 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Lyon isn’t broken. Sure it got a huge broadside and some awsome AA, but it got a fairly outdated armor (the same that Normandie), need to show all his flank to use its 16 guns and low caliber for a tier 7. It may be a cruiser killer, but it isn’t really great against other tier 7 bb.

Normandie is actually better for tier than Lyon I would say. Since Normandie packs good main guns, good armor for tier, nice array of Secondaries, good speed, and the shorter hull length is nice in making it harder for enemy to hit it. I would say Normandie compares favorably with other tier VI Battleships and is in no way inferior to them, but not overpowered compared to it’s Rivals either.

[OKM]
Members
65 posts
1,602 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Normandie is actually better for tier than Lyon I would say. Since Normandie packs good main guns, good armor for tier, nice array of Secondaries, good speed, and the shorter hull length is nice in making it harder for enemy to hit it. I would say Normandie compares favorably with other tier VI Battleships and is in no way inferior to them, but not overpowered compared to it’s Rivals either.

I had better game with Normandie than in Lyon, true. But Lyon AA is quite something (better for its tier).

[MOOW]
Members
199 posts
14,663 battles

lyon guns are its weakness also.....its a massive shotgun blast that is only good for a full broadsiding ship..otherwise its auto bounce galore since they are only 13.4 inch guns.

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,745 battles
6 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

I had better game with Normandie than in Lyon, true. But Lyon AA is quite something (better for its tier).

Yeah Normandie can defend itself decently with AA , if you upgrade the captain skills appropriately and have the ship maxed out, but it is so focused on  main guns, speed, secondary guns, armor, and relation very compact size that not enough space for it to fit in too much AA. Which is part of balancing the ship, but unless you are facing tier 5 or 6 CV you may not short dish to no of planes. Tier 7 or 8 CVs will have no trouble getting through to bomb Normandie, so in those kind of battkes stayng with AA group is very important.

Members
54 posts
2,689 battles

Saw a YouTube video with a platoon of Lyons or Normandies. It was fun watching them coordinate their attacks on a target. It was like watching a platoon of KV2s in WOTs...

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

My Lyon build is great. It's not the ship but the player that makes a difference with Lyon. A player who knows the playstyle for the ship and how to optimize the 16 guns has a beast in their hands. Those guns could double cit and take out any tier 5-8 cruisers. I cit BBs right up to tier 8 without issues. Best of all, with high tier BBs you can switch to HE and spam away. I'm setting as many fires as KG5 when using Victor Lima and India Xray flags. 

I regularly do 100-150k damage battles and had at least one 7 kill battle. 

Spoiler

shot-18_03.06_17_57.12-0104.thumb.jpg.4c1e9c365991a62e33ef3278200f81b6.jpg

Spoiler

shot-18_07.12_00_26.56-0322.thumb.jpg.e4bbc4841377cff75a2578ec75e85b13.jpg

Edited by STINKWEED_

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,317 posts
11,420 battles

The ship itself was slightly nerfed in its Sigma before release.

Although you have 16 guns, hitting a distant target with more than 2 shells is a miracle.

It's sweet spot is 8 to 12 km.

The AA if fully decked out is amazing, but I do not think the extra 4 points for manual AA warrants use.

Members
94 posts
6,220 battles

Thanks for your helpful replies. I am a below average player (~48% WR) but seem to favor good guns and maneuverability over armor and concealment (though I did OK in Bayern(?)).  I enjoy Normandi and can support the team with her, so I won't sell her until I know whether I like Lyon or not. Not that anyone asked

P.S. Funny that when I see an enemy Bretagne, Normandi, or Lyon in range, I see good damage numbers for me. 

[SVF]
Members
860 posts
1,277 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah Normandie can defend itself decently with AA , i

I would dispute this.  Sticking a 14 point captain with BFT/AFT as well as AA Guns 2 on Normandie gives an AA rating of roughly 31.  There are T4 BBs that get around that number without any equipment or skill investment.

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,745 battles
17 minutes ago, landcollector said:

I would dispute this.  Sticking a 14 point captain with BFT/AFT as well as AA Guns 2 on Normandie gives an AA rating of roughly 31.  There are T4 BBs that get around that number without any equipment or skill investment.

Hence the reason I said decently instead of good or excellent or something. The fact it can take down some planes out of a attack wave while not great is still something. Some ships can’t shoot down any planes in an entire match of planes flying by above them back and forth.

[SVF]
Members
860 posts
1,277 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Hence the reason I said decently instead of good or excellent or something.

I am somewhat puzzled how you consider 23 DPS at 4km base (27 DPS at 5.7km maxed out) for the long range aura decent.  That is outright bad.  Decent would be New Mexico's long range aura of 58 DPS at 4.2km (70 DPS at 6km maxed out), and even then she struggles against planes sometimes due to the relatively short range of her 127mm/25 guns..

Edited by landcollector

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

She's a great BB but I think she's fine for Tier VII.  She's at her best smashing Cruisers and Destroyers, but against heavy armor her guns perform notably worse.  That's due to the small gun size (for a BB) in her tier, especially when she's facing down Tier VIII-IX Battleships.  She's also pretty squishy.  Anyways, she has some very sharply contrasting strengths and weaknesses, which is why I think she's fine.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts
On 8/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

As 13" guns in a tier where everyone else gets 15 and16"- there's good reason for them to feel a bit underwhelming in the pen department.

Lyon is definitely better at killing cruisers than citadelling BB's- but you can still gouge out big hunks of health with 16 guns!   Just aim for the secondary deck, not the armor belt.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,616 battles
2 hours ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Lyon is definitely better at killing cruisers than citadelling BB's-

Except that dispersion can be a bit wonky making getting multiple hits, or hits where you are aiming can be rare. Even with 16 shell flying down range.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
On 8/31/2018 at 3:55 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Except that dispersion can be a bit wonky making getting multiple hits, or hits where you are aiming can be rare. Even with 16 shell flying down range.

All BBs get that occasional RNG where their dispersion is completely sh*t.  Even Yamato's guns screw her sometimes like that.  But Lyon gets 16 dice rolls to get hits.  Sometimes it pays off big.  Sometimes it's hilarious, as even DDs will get rekt BAD if Lyon is feeling lucky.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,616 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

But Lyon gets 16 dice rolls to get hits.  Sometimes it pays off big. 

Seems like for every good  dice roll salvo I get a dozen RNG cursed salvos where the shells land everywhere but on the target.

[SNIPR]
Members
32 posts
3,216 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Seems like for every good  dice roll salvo I get a dozen RNG cursed salvos where the shells land everywhere but on the target.

But it feels SO GOOD when the dice roll straight.  Err, 2-3 days ago on Two Brothers I had 2 kills in my first 2 salvos.  Silly broadside cruisers.  It wasn't point blank either, maybe 14-15km out for each one.  So.  Good.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 5:52 PM, Sabot_100 said:

You keep shooting and those big salvos eventually land and wreck some poor guys.

You survive longer, you get more shots in.  Sooner or later, someone on the enemy team is going to eat lots of Lyon Baguettes :Smile_glasses: