Slovakian_Stallion

Extremely Slow Download Speeds

8 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
262 battles

Hey everyone.

I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere despite rigorous searching. I am trying to install WoWs on a new computer and the download speed in game center is anywhere between 0.1 kb/s and 8 kb/s (virtually non-existent). I am not updating the game, this is a fresh install.

• I have set download speeds to unlimited and disabled uploads in the wargaming client
  • I have updated my network adapter drivers 
  • I have made sure my firewall isn't blocking any wargaming applications
  • I have checked the internet speed through speedtest.net and even though it's not amazing, the download is still about 20 Mbit /s (which should give me about 2.5 Mb / s)
  • Downloading other things, such as games through Steam yields about 2 Mb /s download
  • I have made sure the nothing else is being downloaded or updated, all other devices such as phones and TVs are disconnected from the network, wargaming center client is the only one using my bandwidth
  • I have just performed a clean install of windows. I bought a new SSD and did the clean install yesterday

I have had a similar issue recently on my laptop, but the problem there was not having set download speeds to unlimited. The moment I changed that, the game started downloading correctly. Sadly, this has not worked this time. The only other thing I can think of is the ISP throttling / blocking this but I'm sure there would be other threads about that already (I have Comcast and they pretty much have a monopoly so I know other people would encounter the same issue).

Could anyone help please?

Thank you

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,769 posts
12,476 battles

I am on a nursing home residents communal wifi the ISP is comcast I have no idea how many others are on at any one time but I get better speeds than you seem to be getting. You are being throttled or many others are on your service eating up bandwidth.

[WOLFB]
Members
57 posts
5,458 battles

Doing a fresh install on a new system, also getting 0.1kb/s downloads. It's been going on for 24 hours and 40+% downloaded. I did a fresh install on my mac a couple of weeks ago, no issues there.

Did some reading up and did this: In Game Centre, I changed the port from 6xxx to something over 30k, and the download speeds increased. Not much, but it's not 0.1 anymore.

Members
4 posts
481 battles

Hey man I can sympathize with you I'm having the same issue, I get around that same download speed. You can't disable torrent or edit files anymore because they removed that, every update they automatically turn those options back on. What I've tried is just un-checking everything that auto updates in settings and seeding. I can't contact Spectrum because the hurricane hit and they are down right now. I can bet you it's yours and my ISP throttling. Also it could be the servers we are connecting to, I'm looking into other ports I can receive packets from. Once I turned seeding and updates off I'm getting around 4-9 mb/s but it really can't go any further than that for me.

If you use game center... don't, it's equivalent to a scam, it's absolutely useless, remove game center from your PC and go onto the world of warships home page and download the regular launcher. Don't try support tickets because they won't respond they don't accept any feedback whatsoever on game center.

Edited by Clonenw

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1 post
769 battles
3 hours ago, Clonenw said:

Hey man I can sympathize with you I'm having the same issue, I get around that same download speed. You can't disable torrent or edit files anymore because they removed that, every update they automatically turn those options back on. What I've tried is just un-checking everything that auto updates in settings and seeding. I can't contact Spectrum because the hurricane hit and they are down right now. I can bet you it's yours and my ISP throttling. Also it could be the servers we are connecting to, I'm looking into other ports I can receive packets from. Once I turned seeding and updates off I'm getting around 4-9 mb/s but it really can't go any further than that for me.

If you use game center... don't, it's equivalent to a scam, it's absolutely useless, remove game center from your PC and go onto the world of warships home page and download the regular launcher. Don't try support tickets because they won't respond they don't accept any feedback whatsoever on game center.

Thaaaaaaaaaank you for this! I was sitting there using the game center trying to download the game and was literally getting 0.1k download speeds with firewall turned off and on Google Fiber..... I switched to the classic launcher and now am able to at least get 5-20mbs.... They seriously need to fix their crap.

Members
4 posts
481 battles
1 hour ago, Dethavin said:

Thaaaaaaaaaank you for this! I was sitting there using the game center trying to download the game and was literally getting 0.1k download speeds with firewall turned off and on Google Fiber..... I switched to the classic launcher and now am able to at least get 5-20mbs.... They seriously need to fix their crap.

Of course man  happy to help; btw once you've downloaded the game with this regular launcher remember to check integrity because it turned out I had almost 3 GB's of missing files.

I logged into the game and the ships didn't load until I retrieved all the files XD.

Edited by Clonenw
XD
  • Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
135 posts
4,952 battles

Keep in mind they WILL be replacing the launcher completely at some point with the Game Center. IDK if they will have fixed the issues by then but things that you can try include what has been mentioned (disabling upload, changing the port). FYI port 6881 comes back like this https://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=6881.

As many are probably aware, many ISPs try to throttle torrents. So steering away from those ports CAN help. Keep in mind, changing these ports from the default may require you to update your firewall rules.

Further, it may be worth changing your Update Schedule within the game center to include non-peak hours. This could help with the throttling issues as well. Let me know if any of this helps.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,514 posts
8,037 battles
On 9/23/2018 at 7:27 PM, Clonenw said:

Of course man  happy to help; btw once you've downloaded the game with this regular launcher remember to check integrity because it turned out I had almost 3 GB's of missing files.

I logged into the game and the ships didn't load until I retrieved all the files XD.

How sid you retrieve the missing files?