Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Do you buy USS Salem?

49 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,274
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles

Oh no. Salem is actually balanced. The horror.

Planning on getting Salem when I get enough coal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[RST]
[RST]
Members
169 posts
14,549 battles

I bought it. It is a fine ship, just a little gimped. Making it a challenged ship to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,052
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

Salem is a better ship than dm for me due to my playstyle. I think she's worth it but you have to be comfortable with getting really close to the enemy to make the radar work.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
81
[TAFY3]
Members
331 posts
7,114 battles
15 minutes ago, Komrade_Rylo said:

Salem is a better ship than dm for me due to my playstyle. I think she's worth it but you have to be comfortable with getting really close to the enemy to make the radar work.

+1.  The shorter radar range keeps me from doing stupid things in the early game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,913 battles

that depends,DM is cheaper to free exp and buy a permanent prem camo.

salem might have the premium ship bonuses but it's much more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,121
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,103 posts
18,616 battles

I thought about it a few times but: there are 3-4 new T9/10 ships upcomming. And I have a DM with premium camo.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,274
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
7 minutes ago, driedjello said:

+1.  The shorter radar range keeps me from doing stupid things in the early game.

That’s the reason I expect to do better in Salem than Des Moines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
87 posts
3,879 battles

The great thing about the Salem is that it s**ts on every other cruiser in the game. The heal allows you to point your bow towards the enemy and be virtually immune to HE and fires. One battle, I used this strategy against two tier 10 cruisers in different encounters and only lost 10k hp after I was done healing. Also, the Worcester has taken over the DMs niche of being a destroyer killer. Now, youre better off burning BBs and assassinating crusiers. It's a wash when you're fighting BBs because the heal is as effective as the regular DM heal with citadel damage. I will take the Salem over the DM in this meta because of the abundant HE spam 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37
[WOLF6]
Members
128 posts
3,676 battles

i am sure that as soon as I use my coal for this ship, something better will come along.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
766 posts
5,849 battles

Do you want...

 

More radar range: DM

Better Heal: Salem

 

Are you.....

 

Less Aggressive: DM

More Aggressive: Salem

 

 

There, that's all you need to answer when deciding on the Salem. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,336 battles

I will when I have the coal, but I'm not going out of my way to get it until then.  I've already got everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
83
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,103 posts
11,827 battles
2 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Oh no. Salem is actually balanced. The horror.

Planning on getting Salem when I get enough coal. 

Same.  My only other thought is to use coal to buy Papa Papa signals...my goal is to get as many of they free/earnable (through regular play) premiums as possible while they are available, especially the high tier ones.

As to the Salem specifically, the trade between heal and radar seems fair, and it would be nice to try a more agressive playstyle with such hard hitting, fast reloading guns at your disposal.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,012
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,035 posts
9,184 battles

I will likely hold off on Salem for some time. Will see what the next ships is first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles
43 minutes ago, Schindlers_Stink_Fist said:

 

Are you.....

 

Less Aggressive: DM

More Aggressive: Salem

 

 

There, that's all you need to answer when deciding on the Salem. lol

Actually, the DM with legendary module made it a significantly better for aggressive play style, a lot more agile and acceleration to hunt DD, brawl, or kite away like zao burning BB to the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
766 posts
5,849 battles
16 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Actually, the DM with legendary module made it a significantly better for aggressive play style, a lot more agile and acceleration to hunt DD, brawl, or kite away like zao burning BB to the ground.

 

No doubt! But the Salem has a phenomenal heal and (I think?) better HE protection. Don't quote me on that last part though. The crazy heal alone makes it favorable for more aggressive play styles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,037
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,332 posts
10,121 battles

I am only like 10K from Salem but honestly have no interest in it. Have DM with a perma camo (2 actually). With all the ships coming down the line here I will wait and use it on something I don't basically already have.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[UEFN]
Members
386 posts
11,570 battles

Unfortunately the super heal isn't going to help much from AP pen/cit hits. DM's biggest problem isn't being burn by HE, its her paper armor being Citadel all day long by BB AP, Angling is ineffective against majority of the higher tier BB.  Salem has the same armor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
217
[P2W]
Members
681 posts
1 hour ago, BarbedWireRat said:

Same.  My only other thought is to use coal to buy Papa Papa signals...my goal is to get as many of they free/earnable (through regular play) premiums as possible while they are available, especially the high tier ones.

As to the Salem specifically, the trade between heal and radar seems fair, and it would be nice to try a more agressive playstyle with such hard hitting, fast reloading guns at your disposal.

I am building out my Salem to have an AA configuration seeing as you dont' have a choice between Hydro and DFA. There is only DFA on the Salem in that slot.

So My Salem will basically be an AA build of my Des Moines, If I see a CV in Queue drop the DM and load the Salem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,038
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,651 posts
9,964 battles

It's not that interesting, being a DM with tweaked consumables.

I don't quite have the coal for it, and even if I did I wouldn't spend it - there's ambiguity over how you get Alaska or Jean Bart or Bourgogne, of  which I find Alaska in particular more interesting. If it turned out Alaska were for coal I'd feel pretty cheated if I'd wasted it on Des Moines v. 1.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,052
[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles
2 hours ago, driedjello said:

+1.  The shorter radar range keeps me from doing stupid things in the early game.

 

Actually I play her far more agressively in dm bc she has great staying power. I had a ranked game yesterday where a 15k how Henri and a 58k how Montana came around the corner at the very end of the game on sleeping giant, that thought they had it in the bag, a minute later both were dead and I survived bc I popped a heal for 20k after taking 2 cits through the bow, and only surviving Henri's HE bc the heal kept me going. I put Salem in hyper agressively positions because she's tanky af

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
361
[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,544 posts
3,734 battles
29 minutes ago, mofton said:

It's not that interesting, being a DM with tweaked consumables.

I don't quite have the coal for it, and even if I did I wouldn't spend it - there's ambiguity over how you get Alaska or Jean Bart or Bourgogne, of  which I find Alaska in particular more interesting. If it turned out Alaska were for coal I'd feel pretty cheated if I'd wasted it on Des Moines v. 1.1.

^this is my biggest reason for not using my coal reserves now.

Last thing I want is to look at Salem in disgust for using the coal on her and then wg decides to make the Alaska become available only for coal or the Bourgogne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,274
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
58 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

Unfortunately the super heal isn't going to help much from AP pen/cit hits. DM's biggest problem isn't being burn by HE, its her paper armor being Citadel all day long by BB AP, Angling is ineffective against majority of the higher tier BB.  Salem has the same armor...

Doesn’t it repair more cit damage than DM can?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
401
[WAIFU]
Beta Testers
1,822 posts
3,502 battles
2 hours ago, paradat said:

I will likely hold off on Salem for some time. Will see what the next ships is first.

Probably the best plan right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×