StrixKitty

Increases in SHP of German Naval Ships of the Same Class?

6 comments in this topic

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,925 battles

So,

I was going through groups of German naval units and trying to relearn what I had researched on them. I had just finished the Derfflinger-class Battlecruisers when I turned to the Deutschland-class heavy cruisers when I really took note of the large increases in SHP of ships of the same type, just later in the class (for example, SMS Lutzow has a large increase of SHP over the Derfflingerm the beginning ship of the class). They continue to increase by 2k+ SHP for each ship later in the class and account for a higher speed. I was wondering about why this is. The simple answer is that they were "built better" or "were more efficient in turning the fuel oil or Diesel into work" but I'm not really sure. It could be a gearing thing? I was wondering if anyone actually knew what specifically made these ships increase in their shaft horsepower. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

I've always chalked it up to minor technical improvements based on lessons learned from (constructing) the older sister. It's standard that later or still-under-construction sisterships gain minor improvements compared to their older sisters.

[JFSOC]
Members
909 posts
2,596 battles

The biggest improvement is in boiler technology.  These ships progressively got higher pressure boilers, turbines, and machinery meaning that for equal weight they could put out more and more horsepower.  Everybody else was doing the same thing, so this really isn't limited to the Germans.

Other improvements are a switch from vertical expansion engines to turbines and then as experience with turbines grew the blade profiles got better and better meaning that the turbine became more efficient.  Add in incidental things like better boiler design, better condenser design such as improved air ejection to operate at a greater vacuum, and that sort of thing and machinery was improving sufficiently to allow for greater speeds on a constant weight.

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,779 posts
2,925 battles

Thanks for all the replies, y'all.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,399 battles

After a ship is built and runs it's trials, it usually goes back to the yard for alterations, repairs to equipment that didn't work properly, ect... One of the outcomes is "lessons learned" that get passed on to the as yet completed ships of the class. The following ships may or may not have small improvements made before they are complete and run their trials. In many cases, the earlier ships will be retrofitted with the improvements and fixes but won't run formal trails for many years, if ever. Once is service, horsepower and speed between sister ships is usually pretty close. The as built HP or HP on trials will climb between sisters as the lessons are learned.