You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Watertight Wednesdays - Torpedo Protection

30 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
820 posts
5,799 battles

640px-US_Navy_110801-N-ZZ999-001_Officer

Which ship in your fleet provides the best protection against devastating torpedo attacks?

Whether launched from the sea or from the air, torpedoes can cause lethal damage and flooding to ships of all sizes.

Some vessels offer protection in terms of armored bulges on the hull while others rely on speed and maneuverability for torpedo beats.

When your lookout yells, "Torpedo in the water!", which vessel do you feel safest in when danger is closing in?

"Never fear the enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, US Marine Corps

#watertightwednesdays

#anchorsaweigh

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles
9 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Which ship in your fleet provides the best protection against devastating torpedo attacks?

The one that my teammate right in front of me is driving, that I can put between me and the seapenii.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
8 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

When your lookout yells, "Torpedo in the water!", which vessel do you feel safest in when danger is closing in?

My Light Cruisers, most of them have the speed and rudder shift to get out of the way, the AA to knock the planes down, and the gear to hunt down the destroyers. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,536 battles
22 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Ships don't protect you from torpedo attacks, smart play does. Don't sail in a straight line, change your speed, and don't get more than 45 degrees or so broadside to the direction of enemy destroyers if you're in a slow ship.

Also, bonus tip: if you're in a ship that has less than ~45% torpedo damage reduction on its belt, you take MORE permanent (unrepairable) damage by getting hit in the midsection than the bow/stern sections. This is because bow/stern damage is 50% repairable, while only 10% of midsection hits can be healed back.

• Cool 5

Members
32 posts
3,249 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

The one that my teammate right in front of me is driving, that I can put between me and the seapenii.

I had a really fun match yesterday where I was doing the circle of death against a Gneisenau in my Lyon and I got to use his corpse to block a full torp spread from a Gadjah Mada that unloaded on me from less than 3km.  Granted a DD player that knew what he was doing would have just waited a few more seconds and could have wrecked me but man o' man was it satisfying to block an entire deep water torp vomit with an enemy ships corpse.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

And @Gneisenau013 your picture reminded me of my USS Buttercup Training :cap_haloween:LOL:cap_haloween: thanks for that.

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
304 posts
3,347 battles

Definitely my light cruisers. As soon as I sight a DD in torp range. I turn either towards or away from the DD, depending on the range. I work on the basic premise he has attempted to torp me.

I do sometime like to play like a potato and sail as if I am oblivious to an attack, then turn when I am sure he has launched. A lot of DDs give themselves away with a little jink move they use to line you up one last time before firing.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles

I feel pretty comfortable playing against torpedoes in just about everything.

The reason, I feel, is because I've spent a lot of time in the IJN torpedo boats, so I have a reasonably good understanding of their tactics. I can estimate where they'll go, what I do that makes me an attractive target, and therefore estimate when I'd be attacked and take action. It's not precognition and it's not 100% reliable, but I've fouled more than my fair share of "perfect stealth attacks" with this intuition.

It's less about the ship you're in and more about the ship that's launching the torpedoes at you, knowing what to expect, and responding accordingly.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[CUTER]
Members
26 posts
8,176 battles
1 hour ago, DoIphin_Princess said:

CVs

Because I am still just as combat effective after taking the torpedo as I would be at full HP.

If you have AR, you become even more effective after the torpedo

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
2 minutes ago, DragonKiler said:

If you have AR, you become even more effective after the torpedo

Does AR even affect aircraft cycling? I was under the impression it only affected guns and torpedo launchers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
3 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Ships don't protect you from torpedo attacks, smart play does. Don't sail in a straight line, change your speed, and don't get more than 45 degrees or so broadside to the direction of enemy destroyers if you're in a slow ship.

Also, bonus tip: if you're in a ship that has less than ~45% torpedo damage reduction on its belt, you take MORE permanent (unrepairable) damage by getting hit in the midsection than the bow/stern sections. This is because bow/stern damage is 50% repairable, while only 10% of midsection hits can be healed back.

Yeah, maybe so, but if you are on low hp and don't have any heals left, taking a torp on the bow or stern is nearly a death sentence.

Experienced(not Pro) tip: if you are on low hp and don't have any heals left, ignore Edgecase here and just take it on the torpedo belt. If in such circumstances you take it on the bow or stern,(it does more, but more repairable, damage, which is actually a liability if you don't have any heals left) kiss goodbye to your ship, and/or don't but say hello to a nearly guaranteed flooding, which SUCKS if you don't have DCP up. If you let that happen, (once again) kiss goodbye to your ship. 

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,536 battles
5 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Yeah, maybe so, but if you are on low hp and don't have any heals left, taking a torp on the bow or stern is nearly a death sentence.

Experienced(not Pro) tip: if you are on low hp and don't have any heals left, ignore Edgecase here and just take it on the torpedo belt. If in such circumstances you take it on the bow or stern,(it does more, but more repairable, damage, which is actually a liability if you don't have any heals left) kiss goodbye to your ship, and/or don't but say hello to a nearly guaranteed flooding, which SUCKS if you don't have DCP up. If you let that happen, (once again) kiss goodbye to your ship. 

Note that I didn't say to always take it on the bow or stern, I said you'd take more unrepairable damage. Players need to decide which is the better choice given their current situation.

[-AGW-]
Members
639 posts
9,346 battles

I forget at what tier manual drop becomes a thing, but aerial torps can be dodged fairly easily in T5 BBs, including New York, Kongo and Fuso. If you can spot them DD torps too.

I still see a lot of people turning away from torps, which is usually a bad idea. Turn into them and reduce speed to increase turn ratio.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

Duke of York with Vigilance stacked with Premium Hydro Consumables can pick up Torps nice and early so that you can evade them. For that matter any ship with hydro can be good at detecting Torps.

Bismarck is really good with dealing with Torps, Aicraft to help spot them and when that is on cooldown you can use Hydro. And of course the second ndaries are quite helpful in discouraging or destroying ships getting into Torpedo range. And AA often is not too bad on it either to guard against air dropped torpedoes.

As far as Torpedo belt the Yamato is amazing, took full Shimakaze Torp compliment close range with all 15 Torps hitting my broadside and my Yamato survived it, granted I was in bad shape, but still impressive.

• Cool 1

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Torpedo protection values need to be seriously revisited. How is it that the Bismarck with a shallower bulge depth than the North Carolina's has better damage reduction? How does Alabama and Massachusetts have much better damage reduction that Iowa and Missouri, despite sharing largely the same SPS design?

The torpedo protection values in this game is frustratingly inconsistent. I can understand that game balance is the reason why some systems have more damage reduction than others, but frankly for many of them they seem very arbitrary and random.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,199 posts
2,029 battles
1 hour ago, DeliciousFart said:

Torpedo protection values need to be seriously revisited. How is it that the Bismarck with a shallower bulge depth than the North Carolina's has better damage reduction? How does Alabama and Massachusetts have much better damage reduction that Iowa and Missouri, despite sharing largely the same SPS design?

The torpedo protection values in this game is frustratingly inconsistent. I can understand that game balance is the reason why some systems have more damage reduction than others, but frankly for many of them they seem very arbitrary and random.

Better yet, how do the SouDak's (and Iowa's by extension) have better reduction than North Carolina, who's SPS system was generally considered superior?

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
3 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Better yet, how do the SouDak's (and Iowa's by extension) have better reduction than North Carolina, who's SPS system was generally considered superior?

WG assignment of torpedo damage reduction seems completely arbitrary. I want to say they use game balance when assigning those values, but even that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Why did Giulio Cesare get a massive torpedo damage reduction buff? Why is Worcester's torpedo damage reduction so much better than Des Moines'? How does Moskva manage to have better torpedo damage reduction than Iowa?

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

double post, please disregard.

Edited by legoboy0401

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
13 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Not to mention Roma's(the Littorios) reduction in game is better than North Carolina, though IRL the Littorio's "advanced" TDS was only good on paper and failed when it mattered.(against dinky RN Swordfish torpedoes)

6 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

WG assignment of torpedo damage reduction seems completely arbitrary. I want to say they use game balance when assigning those values, but even that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Why did Giulio Cesare get a massive torpedo damage reduction buff? Why is Worcester's torpedo damage reduction so much better than Des Moines'? How does Moskva manage to have better torpedo damage reduction than Iowa?

Exactly. It's the same situation with Roma as I described above.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles
5 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Not to mention Roma's(the Littorios) reduction in game is better than North Carolina, though IRL the Littorio's "advanced" TDS was only good on paper and failed when it mattered.(against dinky RN Swordfish torpedoes)

While North Carolina's system likely is overall superior, I don't think Littorio's system is as catastrophically bad as commonly stated, even if it does indeed have flaws. @Phoenix_jz can probably elaborate further.

Similarly, the initial design of the South Dakota's system was indeed flawed, but according to Mr. Bill Jurens and later caisson tests, the system was subsequently modified with reinforced bulkhead joints, which allowed the system to largely perform as designed, though it still wasn't perfect (as evidenced by further modifications for Illinois and Kentucky).

Edited by DeliciousFart

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
30 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

While North Carolina's system likely is overall superior, I don't think Littorio's system is as catastrophically bad as commonly stated, even if it does indeed have flaws. @Phoenix_jz can probably elaborate further.

Similarly, the initial design of the South Dakota's system was indeed flawed, but according to Mr. Bill Jurens and later caisson tests, the system was subsequently modified with reinforced bulkhead joints, which allowed the system to largely perform as designed, though it still wasn't perfect (as evidenced by further modifications for Illinois and Kentucky).

It wasn't bad persay, but it still doesn't change the fact that it failed when the stakes were high.