You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
agrims

My Roon build

4 comments in this topic

[ALPHA]
Members
180 posts
4,214 battles

Heya fellow Capt’s!

i wanted to share my go to Roon build because I have tried all the others, but this seems most effective for me:

PT, EL, DCFCA, AR, SI, DE, AFT, CE. 

I know, 3 1 point skills, wth?? But hear me out: Take PT, AR, DE, CE first. Then take AFT, and SI next as points allow. Now go back to EL and DCFCA. This arrangement along with MB range mods makes this ship a handful for the enemy team as you now have more vision control up at any one time. Send up your spotter or fighter and you now can see torps on all sides coming at you, you get an additional hydro, so leverage this late game when you push. As Roon, and Hindy, you will primarily fire HE, but with a longish reload, what to do about switching to AP on that juicy broadside CA, or BB? EL handles this. 

Try it out folks! 

[STW]
Members
43 posts
12,235 battles

Hi Agrims,

IMO (as a KM cruiser main), this is an excellent complement of skills for the Roon.  The only difference between what you've selected and what I have is that I take BFT instead of DE.  I want the extra AA since I mount the KM hydro and not DF.  My build for the Hindenburg is the same.  I mount India X-Ray and Victor Lima signals to boost fire chance instead.

In particular, thank you for not taking EM.  I've always been perplexed why so many folks take EM on sub-25s turrets for heavy cruisers since it buys you less than a 10% improvement.  I much prefer taking a couple extra level-one skills instead as this gives me much better versatility and value to me and the team.  As you've pointed out, EL is great on KM cruisers since you're constantly changing shell types, and DC is great to boost spotting and AA.

I'm curious what choices you've made for your Roon upgrades.  I take MAM1, HSM1, AAGM2, PM2, SGM3, and GFCM2.  For a long time, I took MAM1, HSM1, AAGM2, SGM2, CSM1, and MBM3, but I found giving up the concealment (to 12.3km) and increase in RoF in exchange for 3km of additional range and better maneuverability has provided me a lot more flexibility on positioning and targets.

An Iolair Ghorm (The Blue Eagle)

[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,345 battles

From my empirical experience that both EM and AR have negligible effect on ships that have fast-rotating turrets. Good gameplay will pace the turret rotation with positioning and engagement, overriding the benefits of EM. Good gameplay with also keep the ship full(-ish) health throughout the match, overriding the benefits of AR. A decisive win achieved while the ship is in low health happens too infrequently.

For big ships with slow-rotating turrets, EM has much higher percentage gain and may keep turrets aimed while evading incoming fire, so EM > AR.

For the rest, both EM and AR do little, but I agree with everyone above that AR might have a small advantage.

DE sounds like a good idea. I haven't tried it and would be curious to know how effective it is to increase damage.

[STW]
Members
43 posts
12,235 battles
On 9/11/2018 at 1:46 PM, _Marines said:

From my empirical experience that both EM and AR have negligible effect on ships that have fast-rotating turrets. Good gameplay will pace the turret rotation with positioning and engagement, overriding the benefits of EM. Good gameplay with also keep the ship full(-ish) health throughout the match, overriding the benefits of AR. A decisive win achieved while the ship is in low health happens too infrequently.

For big ships with slow-rotating turrets, EM has much higher percentage gain and may keep turrets aimed while evading incoming fire, so EM > AR.

For the rest, both EM and AR do little, but I agree with everyone above that AR might have a small advantage.

DE sounds like a good idea. I haven't tried it and would be curious to know how effective it is to increase damage.

Hi _Marines:  AR does not have any effect on turret rotation.  AR affects the reload rate of all armaments, and that's a big deal for DPM.  Since cruisers' function is largely centered around DPM, AR can be hugely beneficial to them.  Sure, cruisers want to mitigate damage, muting the influence of AR, but reality is that even with careful game play, damage will be taken.  IMO, AR is arguably the most useful commander skill WG added to the game for nearly all ship classes when they overhauled the skills in 0.6.0.

As for EM, it depends on the ship and maneuverability.  IJN cruisers need EM because their maneuverability heavily out-paces their turret speed.  Many battleships with sub-40s turret rotation gain relatively little from EM because their turret speed is in line with their maneuverability.  For KM cruisers, most do not need EM, with the exception of the Yorck (stock ~34s) and Königsberg (stock 30s).

For cruisers, DE statistically translates into two to four more fires per 100 shell hits, so value of DE depends on rate of fire and base fire chance (i.e., the higher rate of fire and lower base fire chance, the higher value DE has).