You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GambitHG

Ranked WTR: What am I doing wrong?

14 comments in this topic

Members
134 posts
4,851 battles

I had a pretty good evening in ranked in my Yueyang, helping my team, capping stuff, killing ships, and staying alive. I thought I'd have a decent WTR this morning, but I see this. 

Are the WTR really heavily weighted to damage dealing, or is there something I'm not doing?

image.png

[SUCIT]
Members
769 posts
3,489 battles
4 minutes ago, GambitHG said:

-snip

You're not doing anything wrong.  Ignore WTR and PR for ranked because they use the same statistics for the averages as randoms.  There is a lot less damage to go around in ranked, and WTR/PR are heavily influenced by damage.  

[-GPS-]
Members
97 posts
7,022 battles

Don’t be too worried about WTR, it is not a good gauge of Ranked play. If you look at the breakdown on Warships today you will see WTR is 50% average damage, 30% average kills and 20% winrate. Your damage was low and kills low so WTR will follow that. Throw all of the stats out the window, help your teams in Ranked because wins are all that really matter, especially as a dd because BBs and Cruisers can outdamage you in most every situation to save their star. Good Luck.

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
581 posts
5,195 battles

Here's a full explanation of WTR:

https://na.warships.today/help/warships_today_rating

Don't bother looking at WTR for ranked battles. It's useful in randoms, but in ranked nothing matters except winrate. WTR might still be useful for BBs and CAs to consider, but since it does not consider planes shot down, base capture, base defence, or spotting, it's pretty useless for DDs and CVs.

[SF-3]
Members
41 posts
12,736 battles

WTR is flawed -- I prefer to look at win rate, and MBH ratio to see how things are going.  Average dmg especially in a DD is not fair as if they cap and spot they get a low WTR.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,769 posts
4,798 battles
9 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

Here's a full explanation of WTR:

https://na.warships.today/help/warships_today_rating

Don't bother looking at WTR for ranked battles. It's useful in randoms, but in ranked nothing matters except winrate. WTR might still be useful for BBs and CAs to consider, but since it does not consider planes shot down, base capture, base defence, or spotting, it's pretty useless for DDs and CVs.

As a DD player, don’t bother looking at it at all. PR and WTR don’t take the stuff DDs do into sufficient account. 

A metric that matters? Solo WR. How often you find a way to help your team win. That matters. 

[CAFE]
Members
1,393 posts
10,655 battles
34 minutes ago, GambitHG said:

I had a pretty good evening in ranked in my Yueyang, helping my team, capping stuff, killing ships, and staying alive. I thought I'd have a decent WTR this morning, but I see this. 

Are the WTR really heavily weighted to damage dealing, or is there something I'm not doing?

image.png

In ranked WTR does not mean anything and the only important stat is winrate. Play in ranked is a bit more tactical to ensure the win so can tend to be sometimes more passive, which ultimately effects your damage numbers.  If your team has the cap and point advantage, there is no value in pushing and potentially throwing the game - if the enemy sits and just loses, which does happen more often than not, then you could easily win by doing 10k damage but playing everything correctly. In addition, objectives are more spread out in random battles and it is 12v12 rather than 7v7.   

[MIA-A]
Members
1,939 posts
6,549 battles

Winning percentage is the stat that matters in ranked, a lot of team-play moves (setting up crossfires, capping, spotting, area denial torps, etc) aren't really rewarded at all.

[-K-]
Supertester
5,137 posts
8,913 battles

WTR isn't worth a whole lot in general. It means even less in Ranked. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Members
134 posts
4,851 battles

Well, thanks for making me feel better guys. I know I'm still mostly potatoe, but I *feel* as if I'm playing better than what the WTR says I am. I guess I'll just keep grinding through ranked and see how far I get. Ranking out is my goal, but I've never really put an effort into it until this season.

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles
2 hours ago, GambitHG said:

image.png

WTR is essentially flawed overall, fecal waste where it pertains to DD play in general and even worse yet where DDs play in T10 RB's applies. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

I thought Warships.today stopped working months ago. Certainly seems so if you look at the banner below

• Cool 1