You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
philspamoni

First game in over a year and.....

34 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
986 battles

Wot is updating so I figured I'd give wows a go after many months of lying dormant.

I see that wg game me the De Grasse.. So I spend 20 minutes setting the ship and the commander up. First battle in and...

I was hit with 19 shells... I was set on fire 5 times!

That totally grossed me out.  There is no fun in that at all. 

I can only imagine what a brand new player experiencing that would feel like. Ripped off? appalled? cheated out of the time it took to download and set up the game?

I've already uninstalled the game.

Thanks but no thanks.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 6

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
3 minutes ago, philspamoni said:

I can only imagine what a brand new player experiencing that would feel like.

An indication of what to expect on a bad day.

See you whenever you decide to change your mind and end your hissy fit.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,761 battles
10 minutes ago, philspamoni said:

Wot is updating so I figured I'd give wows a go after many months of lying dormant.

I see that wg game me the De Grasse.. So I spend 20 minutes setting the ship and the commander up. First battle in and...

I can only imagine what a brand new player experiencing that would feel like. Ripped off? appalled? cheated out of the time it took to download and set up the game?

Thanks but no thanks.

what did you expect a red carpet welcome back, its kill or be killed out there on the high seas, you got a free premium and a good one at that, be grateful at that.  

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Well in world of tanks it takes like 2 shells to kill you. With wot you just run around like a chicken with its head cut off and get slapped out of exisistance at some random time during the match

Thanks but no thanks

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 5

[AFW-]
Beta Testers
127 posts
10,046 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

An indication of what to expect on a bad day. with bad play.

See you whenever you decide to change your mind and end your hissy fit.

Fixed it for you.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Instead of barging in Randoms after a long hiatus you could take a bit of time in co op to see if anything has changed, get used again to the shooting again and the various mechanics of the game as well as see how the ship behaves.

Regardless, it's true mid tiers can be pretty rough on new players.

Edited by warheart1992

Members
1,525 posts
672 battles
39 minutes ago, philspamoni said:

I figured I'd give wows a go after many months of lying dormant.

You don't have to wait months for that.

I have it happen to me every day.

• Cool 1

Community Department
2,021 posts
500 battles
14 minutes ago, philspamoni said:

Thanks but no thanks.

Sorry for that, but what you expected with first game in over a year? 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
473 posts
5,454 battles

Hi I suck. But it's not my fault, it's the game's fault, and SCREW YOU Wargaming for giving me a free ship that a bunch of people reading this had to PAY for. F*** outta here.... this even a serious post?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,104 battles

The Degrasse is an Excellent Ship. good score on a freebie. too bad you quit so easily. It rapes the snot out of others and sets fires just as easily as you received.

Members
989 posts
5,724 battles
1 hour ago, philspamoni said:

[blah, blah, blah]

[more blah-blah]

A "brand new player" would experience T1.

maybe you should have come back when they were offering the deadbeats the Giulio Cesare to come back.

• Bad 1

Members
108 posts
1,960 battles

OP, what do think would happen if  I took a year off from WoT, then hopped into a new mid-tier tank I was totally unfamiliar with, then used a random game against experienced players as a "first time test drive"?

I'm not a WoT player, so I'm really wondering.  Is WoT so noob-tastic that I could rationally expect to NOT get gaffed in that scenario?

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
1 hour ago, philspamoni said:

Thanks but no thanks.

Well I am sorry to see you go, but if you ever return send me a PM and maybe we can division and I will show you the little I know.:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 3

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,721 posts
11,128 battles

Nice to see so many offer up the best of them, as it seems that is only as far as they can go, this is why player retention is so poor when people venture to the forums, they are met with ridicule, even by our own community department, well done.

To the OP,  you shouldn't let one bad experience of the game determine your final outcome of uninstalling, as with most, a long break from the game will often make you less adept to what you might have been used to when you were playing constantly.

If anything its a time to drop down a few tiers and play for some fun and relearn the skills you have developed that are sitting there dormant from your break.

Anyway I hope you reconsider and give it another try.

• Cool 7

[TCANS]
Beta Testers
127 posts
870 battles

Well, a brand new player would be in a T1 ship, not a T6 premium.  So s/he would be fighting others with the same lack of experience and skill. Someone who jumps into a WoT battle in a T6 premium without any real experience is likely to get equally schooled. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles

So you jumped into a pvp game, mid tier, with a brand new ship that you have no experience with...what could possibly go wrong?

I guarantee that, omg don't do it, that if I jump back into WoT, select one of my languishing mid tier tanks there, I'd last 2 minutes tops...

Really guy, what were you thinking?

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,104 battles
56 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I am sorry to see you go, but if you ever return send me a PM and maybe we can division and I will show you the little I know.:Smile_honoring:

This is the type of reply this forum needs more than any other

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
700 posts
1 hour ago, turbo07 said:

Sorry for that, but what you expected with first game in over a year? 

Seriously?  I don't know if this is a real player or a troll....  But, if a real player has come back and re=installed a "co-game" from the same corporation and has found something "disquieting", ah..........customer support should be taking notes and having a separate discussion with that player off-forum....  Not "well, what did you expect..."

A great many of us quit WoTs because it was out right terrible...  Many of us are now here.  This same situation is going on at tier 5 where several tier 7 radar cruisers show up and slaughter seals: game after game after game.   To the point I don't play tier 5 anymore.  This situation is counter-intuitive to retention and yet, here we are making fun of a returning player......

You reap what you sow......

Hey OP, the game has changed !  A new reality is in place and if I were you, I'd give it a little time.....   You are welcome to visit our clan any night we are on.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
17 minutes ago, Gary_P said:

This is the type of reply this forum needs more than any other

Thanks, I mean it I would try to help him. I would try to help anyone, even if I am not that good in the game.

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,672 battles
4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Pal, that is a WG employee...

2 hours ago, philspamoni said:

That is indeed very misfortunate. You probably encountered British battleships for the first time, yeah? They have pretty ridiculous HE shells, as a compensation for their terrible accuracy, slow shell speed, and lack luster AP performance. If you don't know your enemy, it is only natural to be placed in an disadvantage, yeah? 

I recommend starting with low to mid battleships when you feel rusty, they are overall less punishing and have a more intuitive playstyle. 

I wish you good luck and fair seas, should you decide to give WoWs another shot!

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

Talk about experiences.  When I took a very lengthy break from warships to play WOT again, this was one of my first games coming back.

0C666C2D-39CB-439D-8E65-F44B354D9B9F.thumb.jpeg.07ddc82945daa77fa4aaaa4f8c8f6063.jpeg

Edited by Ramsalot

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,776 posts
12,900 battles

I don't think I've ever seen a  post about someone complaining about fire on a cruiser.  Lots of BB complainers.  Never IIRC...a cruiser complainer.

Cruiser captains are supposed to complain about getting cit'd by BBs from halfway across the map.  Seriously...cruiser fire (incoming) is...well...meh.  BB captains are supposed to complain about getting set on fire again...and again...by cruisers hiding behind islands.  And DD captains are supposed to complain about radar.   Everyone gets to complain about carriers...for any reason they wish.

My suggestion:  It's a game that requires more than clicking a mouse and hitting buttons.  It actually takes...god forbid...some thought!!!  And before the "thought", some understanding of how things work.  What ships are designed to do in the WOWS universe.  Understand what they do....use your brain to figure it out...strategically as well as tactically....and it all makes sense. 

Of course, there is still the aptitude/experience thing...but that's life.  

[ENDVR]
Members
368 posts
5,203 battles
1 hour ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Nice to see so many offer up the best of them, as it seems that is only as far as they can go, this is why player retention is so poor when people venture to the forums, they are met with ridicule, even by our own community department, well done.

Pretending a ridiculous post doesn’t deserve ridicule is disingenuous.

Members
753 posts
10 battles

I think what he is referring to is the ridiculous fire mechanic in the game. With everyone slinging HE all the time you pretty much spend the entire game on fire. It is a bad mechanic that isn't fun and is a reason why this game is dying.

Community Department
2,021 posts
500 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Seriously?  I don't know if this is a real player or a troll....  But, if a real player has come back and re=installed a "co-game" from the same corporation and has found something "disquieting", ah..........customer support should be taking notes and having a separate discussion with that player off-forum....  Not "well, what did you expect..."

A great many of us quit WoTs because it was out right terrible...  Many of us are now here.  This same situation is going on at tier 5 where several tier 7 radar cruisers show up and slaughter seals: game after game after game.   To the point I don't play tier 5 anymore.  This situation is counter-intuitive to retention and yet, here we are making fun of a returning player......

You reap what you sow......

Hey OP, the game has changed !  A new reality is in place and if I were you, I'd give it a little time.....   You are welcome to visit our clan any night we are on.

Maybe you're right. It sounds too severe. I'm sorry, if it looks so. But still when you make a big break and come back to any game, it's not correct to hope for fast good results at once. Sometimes you may feel this even when you just change ships or class. I take care and want to help to understand that it's not correct to blame game in this situation. 
Thank you for your correct point of view in your reply. 

• Cool 2