You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
J30_Reinhardt

Very impressed on power creep solutions.

19 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,646 battles

So here I am doing ye olde Halsey grind in co-op like I've mentioned in I believe @Admiral_Thrawn_1's topic on the subject..

And I've gone from a trio of 15 point captains to almost 19s on them.

In around a month or so of on and off play. In co-op. With the copious amounts of flag use(ty for containers), and a premium account. Would still be viable without premium just... slower. Only on this 3rd captain am I using a premium ship, the rest were Yamato and Montana.

Hopefully our Tier X noobs read this and don't play another X until they get their captains to 19 points.

It doesn't take that long and you wouldn't be handicapping yourself or others in randoms(or ranked for those that play it).

Edit: Oh man I completely forgot the free captain retrainining thing.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
54 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

So here I am doing ye olde Halsey grind in co-op like I've mentioned in I believe @Admiral_Thrawn_1's topic on the subject..

In around a month or so of on and off play. In co-op. With the copious amounts of flag use(ty for containers), and a premium account. Would still be viable without premium just... slower. Only on this 3rd captain am I using a premium ship, the rest were Yamato and Montana.

Hopefully our Tier X noobs read this and don't play another X until they get their captains to 19 points.

It doesn't take that long and you wouldn't be handicapping yourself or others in randoms(or ranked for those that play it).

19 points dont make your stats unicum... 10 points should be sufficient for most ships/players.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,646 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

19 points dont make your stats unicum... 10 points should be sufficient for most ships.

It makes it much easier IMO to grind in co-op up to that point at least. And it's alot easier than most seem to realize is my point.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,535 battles

Congrats, more so on earning those in co-op!!

[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
2 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

what skills do you run on yammy?

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
55 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

19 points dont make your stats unicum... 10 points should be sufficient for most ships/players.

True you do need the general intelligence level and experience playing to really be good, but captain skill level does play a factor on some ships. While you are correct that 10 points can be adequate for many ships, some ships on other hand require 12-15 point Captain before they start to shine, and some ships like Bismarck really need a 17-19 point Captain to be effective thanks to the fact it’s strong suit is secondary brawling. And German BBs from tier 7 on up tend to be temperamental about what they need, same with some of the Gunboat DDs as well of you wish to be effective in them.

Also would like to add in addition to the above, properly upgrading your ship is extremely important as well.

• Cool 3

[4HIM]
Members
1,700 posts
3,864 battles
21 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

While you are correct that 10 points can be adequate for many ships, some ships on other hand require 12-15 point Captain before they start to shine

Yeah.  You basically need a minimum of 10 for any DD once you hit T5.  Without CE you're mostly dead meat.  But some of the early reviews on a lot of the RN DD's point to them needing 14 points (standard DD build + IFHE) to be really useful.  I really need to focus on grinding a captain to 19 points so I can start generating some CXP.  

[NDA]
[NDA]
Supertester
3,277 posts
5,807 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

In general people either go for a secondary build or a tanking build on yamato. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.87359644da2889f0a9277c75be0da2c2.pngimage.thumb.png.4d2eae90961c5988f7f4cf177c35c12a.pngimage.thumb.png.01d327f1568af87082c17c1243297765.pngimage.thumb.png.d65dd7ce4b974db3a491e43cb8935ea2.pngimage.thumb.png.4d2eae90961c5988f7f4cf177c35c12a.png

Some combination of those skills mostly. 

Edited by Sinboto

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

I run PM, AR, EM, BFT, SI, AFT, and CE.

I use Catapult Fighter.

Upgrades: Auxiliary Armaments Mod, Preventive Maintenance, Aiming Mod, Rudder Shift Mod, Concealment Mod,  and secondary loading.

Went for Stealth / Main gun / Secondaries / AA build. Main guns already can fire over 26km which is more than enough and really Yamato shells while they could go farther were only really effective up to 25km and seems to be case in game as well, so Catapult fight is far more useful than Spotter plane. Auxially arments mod protects the AA and secondary guns and keeps they in action longer instead of easily getting taken out which is usually why Yamato has bad reputation for Secondaries and AA is because without the extra durability protection on the Auxiliary Armaments they do get stripped away. Your AA will still struggle with tier X Aircraft, but does well enough against tier 8 and 9 Carriers usually, and the Secondaries will give DDs that try getting in nice and close something to think about or even kill them.

You also always need to have secondary Signal flags on Yanato with this build as standard issue just like you do on secondary build ships like Bismarck. AA Signal flags are good idea as well if you have them and if you are playing when a lot of carriers are online and playing. Other than the secondary signal flags just use your judgment on what Signal flags to put on Yamato and when you need them.

[-BSS-]
Members
384 posts
5,897 battles

Playing a captain that is not 19 pts is far from the worst thing that is going on at the helm of a T10 ship, I’d say it is better for people to avoid playing their ships in coop as that doesn’t really teach much about how to play the game at higher tiers, so there is just a new problem of having spent a ton of time leveling captains in coop and forgone the learning those matches could have offered as an additional benefit if they were done in random or ranked or clan battles.

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

10 points is about the minimum investment needed for a decently-specced T10 ship (because CE is just that good), but it's better off if the captain is has at least 13-15  points on him (depending on ship type) by the time the ship hits the high seas.

Members
855 posts
3,426 battles
12 hours ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Yea I am not playing co-op for anything, I hate co-op. I'm also not wasting flags for co-op. 19 point captains also don't translate to better performance, skill does. Some ships maybe, sure, but not all. I wouldn't play a haragumo without IFHE, but alot of ships you can get by with a 10 point cap. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
33 minutes ago, Slyguy3129 said:

What is this "COOP" and how is it relevant to the power creep?

Maybe the power creep is the Bots are gradually getting smarter?

[WTFB]
Members
186 posts
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Maybe the power creep is the Bots are gradually getting smarter?

Oh God. The bots, their starting to take over. Quick everyone to their SkyNet bunkers!!!

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts

I ground my first- and still only 19 point captain in Co-op, too.   This was a while back, when WG was handing out dragon flags and other special signals like candy.   I used Colorado, and all four of my USN premium BB's.   I'd play several games in each every day, with prem camo and economic flags.   It was actually easier  than I thought, once I actually concentrated on doing it.  Using ships I could do well in on a consistent basis was key, too.

Now I have 2 18 pointers, and a couple of 17 pointers I'm working on.   I't's taking a bit longer in lines I don't have as many liked premiums for, lol.   Been using that 19 pointer in Smith, Sims, Texas, Arizona, Alabama, Mo, and Indy to grind E-XP- which I use to top off captains that are getting close to their next skill pick.  I think I have around 180k or so built up currently.

In the process, I've amassed over 90 million credits, and nearly 3 million free xp.   And finished 2 tier 10 grinds- all in Co-op.  ( because I dislike Randoms as much as Cheeto hates Co-op)

Believe it or not, Monty only has a 13 pointer in it- and it started out as 10.  It works well as it is, as US BB's tend to fit my playstyle- and I have a lot of experience in them after that grind!   It's primary job is shooting things until they quit twitching- with that 16" superheavy AP.   The skills that improve the guns are all low pointers- the rest is survival (superintendant and fire prevention)  and upgrades.   IMO, Monty plays more like a Colorado or Alabama on steroids, than it does a Nor-Cal or Iowa.  (with far more accurate guns!)

Des Moines got my 19 pointer, and really benefits from having a high skilled captain.    Warbeast Monty just needs the basics, and a decent player to make it work.

I think France will be the next nation to get a maxed out captain- as it is my next favorite to play.  Either that, or German cruisers.

Completely unrelated side note:  If WG ever gets around to releasing French DD's, I'll be ALL over that like flies on a pile of doo-doo!

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles

I just got my first 19-pointer grinding KM CAs, hit 19pts after about 5 games into Hindy. Played free account, until I got Roon.

2nd one is about 200k away. I save all my best xp bonus gear for Hindy, to generate that elite XP.

All the other lines have a few 15-16 pointers. I find cruisers easier to use with fewer points, because in most cases, CE is the only 4-pt. skill I find useful.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,326 posts
3,646 battles

With the exception of my top 3 captains(battleships), and a couple of 10s(like, one cruiser captain and a pair of DDs), the rest are in the single digits. I have 37 or so ships in port at the moment and don't have enough captains for all of them(not even close).

Co-op while potentially longer to get everything up and running is still viable IMO and also much lower stress, and I'm liking the amount of time its taking so far.