Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Upgrades for Gearing?

8 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

Steering Gears or Propulsion Mod better for Gearing? Have watched some vids where some use one or the other so was wondering about it?

[SIDE]
Members
1,206 posts
8,683 battles
15 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Steering Gears or Propulsion Mod better for Gearing? Have watched some vids where some use one or the other so was wondering about it?

I favor propulsion mod on almost all my DD's. You need to get out of smoke or island cover in a hurry at times due to incoming torps or another enemy ship. 

Steering gears will make your rudder turn faster, but will not dramatically impact your turning radius. A clumsy DD will remain so(eg. Akizuki) regardless if you put a steering gears mod on or not, and the IJN gunboat line uses smoke with the corresponding need to get out of smoke.

My 2 cents say propulsion mod for almost all DD's(Khabarovsk is an exception; and it rarely sits in smoke, so less need for propulsion mod).

Edited by _Rumple_

Members
296 posts
5,051 battles

Here's what I run, explanation next to each.

Slot 1: Magazine mod 1 - If you aren't planning on playing ranked or using det flags / Main Armaments Mod 1 - you're going to want that increased torp HP, repair time, and gun survivability.
Slot 2: Propulsion mod 1 - You should have last stand, but if you lose your rudder you can still run. If you lose your engine things get a little complicated. Not moving means death.
Slot 3: AA guns mod 1 - For randoms, your AA is good. Make use of it with the AA mod to get a little bit more range for bursting down spotting planes, catapult fighters, or bombers. / Aiming System Mod 1 - If you don't care about AA or just play this in CB, 20% to torp turning speed isn't that bad.
Slot 4: Propulsion Mod 2 - Gearing has 3.3 second rudder shift to begin with. You should be running DFAA for randoms (if you're using it in CB it's still great to have the maneuverability to get going if you're in smoke and need to MOVE) so having the propulsion boost helps to get going. I usually prefer prop mod 1 over steering gears for most DDs.
Slot 5: Concealment System Mod 1 - The other two for Gearing are fairly useless. Your 5.9km concealment plays into your swiss-army-knife cap contesting role.
Slot 6: Torpedo Tubes Mod 3 - Gearing has great guns. Gearing has great AA. You know what's a little rough? Your torp reload. With The 10.5km torps you can get 90s reload time (assuming you're running SE / SI for 3 pointers and not TAE). With the 16.5km torps you can get 115 seconds. I run the 10.5s in randoms and the results are extremely potent. 90 second reload 19k damage torps with great detect range means you can put out a lot of hurt. Just be aware of radar ranges and master your positioning.

For my build:

1 point: Preventative Maintenance - You're spotted, you're getting shot at. -30% to not getting stuff murdered helps, especially since Gearing seems to lose torps like nothing else. Priority Target is probably better, but I prefer PM.
2 point: Last Stand - Not moving is death. Don't not move.
              Adrenaline Rush - Getting hurt makes you do more damage. This can be swapped for torp accel if you're dedicated to the 16km torps. This gives you 71 knot ~13km torps. Not a bad choice, but I prefer the 10.5s.
3 point: Survival Expert - 3500 more HP for a ship that spends a lot of time near the front capping, dueling, and getting shot at.
              Superintendant - Probably not as strong as TAE right now, but I like having the extra smoke and DFAA / speed boost for when you have opportunities to help a teammate or need to disengage / shoot down planes.
4 point: Concealment Expert - This goes without saying.
              Radio-Position Finding - Gearing can be kinda slow, but RPF / RDF is great for knowing where enemy ships are going, where you need to watch for enemy DDs, and can help you direct your team to gain an advantage for incoming torpedoes / flankers. Probably outclassed by getting another 3 point and 1 point, but I personally value the benefit from info vs the extra 3 and 2 point.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles

Thank you for your help, my Gearing is working quite nicely for now. :Smile_honoring:

[TFLT]
Members
148 posts
9,098 battles
19 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Propulsion...every day of the week. The Rudder shift mod will give you tenths of seconds of value. Propulsion will save your life getting up to speed out of smoke or bailing on a cap. The actual value of Rudder shift can hardly be felt if at all.

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles
7 hours ago, CyberKnife said:

Propulsion...every day of the week. The Rudder shift mod will give you tenths of seconds of value. Propulsion will save your life getting up to speed out of smoke or bailing on a cap. The actual value of Rudder shift can hardly be felt if at all.

Yes I agree and it has saved my life few times already lol. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Members
1,681 posts
9,749 battles

I usually base the choice off  the rudder shift time.

My cut off is around 4-5 seconds depending on other factors and the meta.  Anything less I run propulsion, more I am likely running steering.

For example I prefer propulsion on Z-52, but in the radar meta I run steering instead since I feel I need the faster rudder to evade fire, and just deal with being slightly less effective when I smoke/hydro where she is at her strongest.

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
Members
148 posts
9,098 battles
12 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I usually base the choice off  the rudder shift time.

My cut off is around 4-5 seconds depending on other factors and the meta.  Anything less I run propulsion, more I am likely running steering.

For example I prefer propulsion on Z-52, but in the radar meta I run steering instead since I feel I need the faster rudder to evade fire, and just deal with being slightly less effective when I smoke/hydro where she is at her strongest.

This is a wise way to approach the question. Also I consider how I am to use the ship. If a ship uses avoidance of shells like its armor...juking and dodging (obviously it probably starts with a low rudder shift for this to be true) I favor buffing that dodging ability even more using Rudder Shift. Most DDs dont need it. The  ability to power up to full speed to avoid a torp you have spotted sitting still or going slowly will save you many times over the Rudder shift. 

Sign in to follow this