You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Destroyer AP Against Other Destroyers?

17 comments in this topic

[STW-D]
Members
1,835 posts
5,651 battles

So during my month-long pre-college vacation, I've been watching various youtubers play high-tier destroyers, and something I notice is that a lot of them seem to to use AP against other enemy destroyers.

How effective is using destroyer AP against other destroyers?

Should it be done and, if it should, when should one switch between firing HE and AP when fighting enemy destroyers?

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,290 posts
3,600 battles

I've never used AP in a DD but they were probably in German DD's yes? (haven't played DD much since I got back)

[KAPPA]
Members
134 posts
4,210 battles

I only tend to swap to AP against cruisers in my DDs, honestly. DD AP can overpen other DDs depending on many factors, so unless I'm in the Akizuki or the US line, I get too paranoid to bother. But a cruiser, broadside and at close ranges? Ohh boy will I ever cit that... I love getting cits in DDs. They never expect it.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

German DDs: Using the 120mm's use AP vs broadside DDs.
Yueyang: Use AP vs broadside Gearing and Khabarovsk (aim for their armour plating). Versus other DDs use HE when they are broadside, but AP when they are angled (not enough for the auto bounce mechanic) under 6 km.  Though under 3.5km you might as well keep on using HE when you are doing 2k - 3k HE salvo's. If you are only doing 1k HE salvos you can try to use AP when the enemy ship is slightly angled, or stop shooting a saturated area...

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[HYDRO]
Members
1,286 posts
3,653 battles

Destroyer AP is very effective against other destroyers, especially in the 100mm IJN gunboats. As for when to switch to AP, whenever you get a broadside is a good time to do so.

That said, AP has the problem of not incapacitating modules. Therefore it can often be a decision on whether you need to break an engine, steering or set on fire.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
22 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Destroyer AP is very effective against other destroyers, especially in the 100mm IJN gunboats. As for when to switch to AP, whenever you get a broadside is a good time to do so.

That said, AP has the problem of not incapacitating modules. Therefore it can often be a decision on whether you need to break an engine, steering or set on fire.

AP can incapacitate modules....

[STW-D]
Members
1,835 posts
5,651 battles
36 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

In that case, would you mind analyzing the contents of this video, namely why did he switch to AP against the Udaloi but not against the Chung Mu, Kagero or Shimakaze?

[HYDRO]
Members
1,286 posts
3,653 battles
18 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

AP can incapacitate modules....

AP shells can sometimes be used against lightly armored enemy cruisers and carriers, since you have just enough armor penetration to defeat their citadel armor, and can also sometimes be used against other Destroyers because of their higher damage (although they will not destroy modules like HE shells do).

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Modules

The wiki says they can't. That said, I wouldn't say it's gospel.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
35 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Modules

The wiki says they can't. That said, I wouldn't say it's gospel.

I think the one who wrote it means that HE shells don't have to hit the actual module to destroy it, where AP shells have to. So AP shells don't destroy modules like HE shells do, but they can destroy modules. Just vaguely worded it seems.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[HYDRO]
Members
1,286 posts
3,653 battles
1 minute ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I think the one who wrote it means that HE shells don't have to hit the actual module to destroy it, where AP shells have to. So AP shells don't destroy modules like HE shells do, but they can destroy modules. Just vaguely worded it seems.

Yes, that would make sense since I saw you can take out engines etc. out. So it needs pretty good aiming to go after a specific module when shooting AP.

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Yes, that would make sense since I saw you can take out engines etc. out. So it needs pretty good aiming to go after a specific module when shooting AP.

At close range it is actually often used in battleship play. :)

[HYDRO]
Members
1,286 posts
3,653 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

In that case, would you mind analyzing the contents of this video, namely why did he switch to AP against the Udaloi but not against the Chung Mu, Kagero or Shimakaze?

The Shimakaze was a bit too far to have consistent volleys with AP. HE was the safer option to damage modules, get maybe another fire that would increase the Shimas detection range.

The Chung Mu angled well most of the time, not giving the opportunity to use AP. If he turned broadside at 5-6km would be a different case.

The Udaloi was within 7km, giving broadside and almost not moving.

As for the Kagero, its in a Daring battle. I can't say I know how these shells behave. However, IJN DDs in general get the most overpenetrations even from DD calibers.

In general, the way this works, or at least worked with Akizuki and now with Kitazake, was that since you would spot most of the time each other at the same time, you would fire the first salvo with HE. Most people when they see these gunboats turn tail, they can't keep up in a slugfest. By the time they started turning you would have the time for about two AP salvos on the broadside until they completed the turn and made their angling unfavorable for AP.  Two AP salvos without many overpens can do up to 5-7k damage.

Edited by warheart1992

[LTWG]
Members
213 posts
1,910 battles
2 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I only tend to swap to AP against cruisers in my DDs, honestly. DD AP can overpen other DDs depending on many factors, so unless I'm in the Akizuki or the US line, I get too paranoid to bother. But a cruiser, broadside and at close ranges? Ohh boy will I ever cit that... I love getting cits in DDs. They never expect it.

once you get one you are most likely to follow with many more in quick succession

[KAPPA]
Members
134 posts
4,210 battles
27 minutes ago, Sorys said:

once you get one you are most likely to follow with many more in quick succession

Cruisers must be the potato chip of ships, then.

• Funny 1

[STW-N]
Members
29 posts
4,995 battles
4 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Like this?

https://clips.twitch.tv/ElegantFrigidNoodleOpieOP

Members
1,616 posts
9,711 battles

AP on DDs can be quite effective.

My best advice on this subject is to load up a training room with non active bots, and shoot them with AP to figure out what works and what doesnt.  IJN DDs for example usually need some angle to them (not too much or the AP will bounce) in order to be effective.  Make sure you shoot at different angles and parts of the ship.  For example the flared bow sections can be penned at surprising angles for really good damage.  I do this about once a week to stay sharp.  Right now playing Shima in ranked, often times AP is the go to ammo against broadside Gearings since her 21mm belt shatters your HE.  With your low DPM you need to be perfectly accurate to win the fight, so it makes sense to put in a little practice.

[KAPPA]
Members
134 posts
4,210 battles
10 hours ago, TRACER___ said:

Precisely like that, yeah. I don't often get the chance, but when I do, the cruiser will wish I didn't. My favorite times are when I'm in ships typically seen as helpless, such as Asashio. Some might call it wrong, but I like using her like a DD, not a sniper with a shotgun. I take her into caps, and am not afraid to get my hands dirty, aiming for cits when I have to. People need to remember that she has Shimakaze's guns, and while they are comparitively worse than other DDs, they are still T10 DD guns, and are still numerous enough to punch a cruiser's teeth in if given the opportunity.

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
Story time!