You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FlakKnight

Will new T10s get uniques/legendaries?

22 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Considering that LUs are mostly designed for "alternative play styles" I'm of the impression they'll release something once the general player base has converged on a "standardized" playstyle. 

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,419 posts
3,411 battles

Likely later on, after enough time has passed and there's a standard build that most everyone uses on the ships. Like Ivlerlin said, WG's intention behind the Legendary Upgrades is to change the playstyle somewhat.

Both Daring and Harugumo are dakka boats, so I can at least see them giving up RoF for something else. Daring could theoretically trade RoF + maybe concealment for faster reloading torpedoes. Harugumo could theoretically trade RoF + traverse speed for either improved rudder shift + reduced speed loss on turns, or trade for better concealment.

Something like that. It alters the playstyle to some degree, but not outright change the ship's role, and can be complementary for some less-used builds.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Well Worcester already has one, can't see why they wouldn't be working on one for Harugumo and Daring. The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Harugumo didn't get its yet because it, Kitakaze, and Akizuki might become more AA focused following the CV rework, and its module is possibly gearing to accentuate that.

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles
38 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Well Worcester already has one, can't see why they wouldn't be working on one for Harugumo and Daring. The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that Harugumo didn't get its yet because it, Kitakaze, and Akizuki might become more AA focused following the CV rework, and its module is possibly gearing to accentuate that.

I hope not. Unless they get defensive fire they won't be that special regardless. I would rather see more concealment or better torping ability.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,210 posts
6,433 battles
1 hour ago, _Rumple_ said:

I hope not. Unless they get defensive fire they won't be that special regardless. I would rather see more concealment or better torping ability.

Perhabs a special module which boosts AA dps by 200%? A permanent Cruiser DFAA, but you give up a slot which could be filled with another module.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
577 posts
4,543 battles

Lets hope the Stalingrad gets torps for 15km distance! Alternate game play to their guns always shooting!

Members
316 posts
6 battles
1 hour ago, _greifer said:

Lets hope the Stalingrad gets torps for 15km distance! Alternate game play to their guns always shooting!

yeah, my biggest gripe about the Stalingrad is its inability to stealth torp.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
8,842 posts
7,257 battles
1 hour ago, _greifer said:

Nope. The Unique Upgrades are side-grades to existing ship's abilities, not new ones. :)

2 minutes ago, pinkship9001 said:

yeah, my biggest gripe about the Stalingrad is its inability to stealth torp.

:Smile_teethhappy:

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
213 posts
1,417 battles
5 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yes. WG stated in their article on the Unique Upgrades that new ships would receive one after a few months. The article on the Unique Upgrades (formly Legendary Upgrades) is 404 error right now for some reason.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/development/modernizations-x/  @turbo07 found the link that works.

The Unique Upgrades are seen as side-grades by WG and are supposed to be balanced vs using other slot 5 or slot 6  upgrades. They were never intended to make a ship over-powered as it seemed some hoped it would.

So Salem, Harugumo, Stalingrad, Daring, Bourgogne, etc will get Unique Upgrades a few months after release.

P.S. the Unique Upgrade missions are permanent and you get the mission by playing one battle in the ship after the mission is released.

So even reward T10s like Salem?  I had figured they probably wouldn't, but that's a nice surprise if so.

[PVE]
Members
8,842 posts
7,257 battles
40 minutes ago, FlakKnight said:

So even reward T10s like Salem?  I had figured they probably wouldn't, but that's a nice surprise if so.

I don't remember them excluding the Salem. The Unique Upgrades are side grades to keep ships with them and ships without them balanced, so why not Salem?

Members
266 posts
3,286 battles
18 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

I'm guessing that very few people have even tried, let alone talked about, Harugumo with an AA build. 312 DPS at 6-7.2 km (depending on captain skills chosen based on what you have available, but definitely with manual AA) is nothing to sneeze at. It's backed up by 99 DPS from the Bofors guns alone that can reach out to 5.1 km. Admittedly, the midrange DPS is a bit underwhelming in the grand scheme of AA, but it's darned impressive for a DD and would be good to great on most IJN cruisers. I must make a confession to being a co-op player (formerly a random player but the static play drove me out), so this isn't against player driven CVs, but I'm getting anywhere from 20-50 planes downed per battle (when the planes actually come into range at least) against Midways and Hakuryus and I usually out do the AA cruisers and BBs on my teams, which makes me giggle every time. I certainly see AA build as being viable, and it does happen to buff up my main guns at the same time, although my torp reload suffers, but I tend to use the F3s anyway.

[PVE]
Members
8,842 posts
7,257 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

I'm guessing that very few people have even tried, let alone talked about, Harugumo with an AA build. 312 DPS at 6-7.2 km (depending on captain skills chosen based on what you have available, but definitely with manual AA) is nothing to sneeze at. It's backed up by 99 DPS from the Bofors guns alone that can reach out to 5.1 km. Admittedly, the midrange DPS is a bit underwhelming in the grand scheme of AA, but it's darned impressive for a DD and would be good to great on most IJN cruisers. I must make a confession to being a co-op player (formerly a random player but the static play drove me out), so this isn't against player driven CVs, but I'm getting anywhere from 20-50 planes downed per battle (when the planes actually come into range at least) against Midways and Hakuryus and I usually out do the AA cruisers and BBs on my teams, which makes me giggle every time. I certainly see AA build as being viable, and it does happen to buff up my main guns at the same time, although my torp reload suffers, but I tend to use the F3s anyway.

Well, Harugumo just came out and WG said that new ships should get a Unique Upgrade a few months after they are released. So who knows what WG would do for Harugumo's UU.

[PVE]
Members
8,842 posts
7,257 battles
4 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

A useful legendary upgrade for the Montana would be nice.

Montana Enhanced Damage Control System slot 5

-30% rudder shift
-30% flooding recovery time
-15% fire extinguishing time
-70% steering gears repair time

Concealment System mod 1 upgrade in slot 5

22.2 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 17.8 second rudder shift

76.5 seconds Flooding time w/ premium consumable. Add in BoS skill and you get 65 seconds of flooding

60 second Fire extinguishing time. Add in BoS skill OR DCSM2 in slot 4 and you get 51 seconds of fire. Add in both BoS skill and slot 4 DCSM2 and you get 43.4 seconds of fire.

13.4km concealment with CE skill, camo & concealment upgrade

+5% maximum dispersion for shells fired at you
2km assured acquisition of enemy ships

Unique Upgrade in slot 5

15.4 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 as well you have 12.4 second rudder shift

55.6 seconds Flooding time w/ premium consumable. Add in BoS skill and you get 45.5 seconds of flooding

51 second Fire extinguishing time. Add in BoS skill OR DCSM2 in slot 4 and you get 43.4 seconds of fire. Add in both BoS skill and slot 4 DCSM2 and you get 36.8 seconds of fire.

-70% steering gears repair time
14.9km concealment with CE skill & camo

I could not find the steering gears repair time in the wiki. So it would be that time * .2 (Unique Upgrade) and then * .8 (SGM1).

Target Acquisition System mod 1 in slot 5
22.2 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 17.8 second rudder shift

76.5 seconds Flooding time w/ premium consumable. Add in BoS skill and you get 65 seconds of flooding

60 second Fire extinguishing time. Add in BoS skill OR DCSM2 in slot 4 and you get 51 seconds of fire. Add in both BoS skill and slot 4 DCSM2 and you get 43.4 seconds of fire.

3km assured acquisition of enemy ships
+20% to range that you spot ships
+20% acquistions range of torpedoes, stacks with vigilance

Steering Gears mod 3 in slot 5
13.3 second rudder shift.  With slot 4 SGM2 you have 10.7 second rudder shift

-80% steering gears repair time (I could not find the repair time in the Wiki)

I could not find the steering gears repair time in the wiki. So it would be that time * .2 (SGM3) and then * .8 (SGM1).

So for giving up 1.5km in concealment range, you get a 36.8 second to 51 second burn time depending on other skills. The flooding time drops to 45.5 seconds to 55.6 seconds depending on the BoS skill. The steering gears repair bonus, is just a cherry on top as I don't think the Montana loses steering all that much. The 4.4 second drop in rudder shift is nice, but not game changing. The big bonuses that I see are in reduced fire time and flooding time for that 1.5km in concealment.

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles
10 hours ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

You might be getting 20-50 planes but, like you said, you're talking about co-op here. It's yolo city. While it might be a viable mod build, it certainly isn't an optimal build or even one that might be popular. In randoms, CV's are rare at high tier(yes, it might change with the re-work, or it might not), so with that in mind I think a different build would be a better option.

Edited by _Rumple_

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,746 posts
9,446 battles
On 8/29/2018 at 5:26 AM, Kizarvexis said:

Nope. The Unique Upgrades are down-grades to existing ship's abilities, not new ones. :)

Fixed that for you. 

[PVE]
Members
8,842 posts
7,257 battles
On 8/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, Kizarvexis said:

Nope. The Unique Upgrades are side-grades to existing ship's abilities, not new ones. :)

On 8/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, Kizarvexis said:

Nope. The Unique Upgrades are down-grades to existing ship's abilities, not new ones. :)

48 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Fixed that for you. 

Not really, I've been doing the numbers and they buff something while blocking or nerf'ing something else. They are not all down grades or even mostly down grades IMO. They do offer alternative play styles, so if that alt playstyle is not the way you are playing, then you don't want the Unique Upgrade. I think WG did this to combat only one 'preferred' build when the ships can be more flexible than that.

Members
266 posts
3,286 battles
On 8/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, _Rumple_ said:

You might be getting 20-50 planes but, like you said, you're talking about co-op here. It's yolo city. While it might be a viable mod build, it certainly isn't an optimal build or even one that might be popular. In randoms, CV's are rare at high tier(yes, it might change with the re-work, or it might not), so with that in mind I think a different build would be a better option.

I know my reply here is a touch on the late side, but IRL family things happened. One of the points I was trying to make is that the AA build sort of acts like a generalist build even when there are no planes to shoot down. I should point out that I am currently using IFHE as part of this build rather than AFT, which I will get later once my captain has been trained up to 18 pts. The guns are still excellent, the torps are slow loading but hard hitting (and I can assure you the bots are better at torp dodging than most players, darn psychic torpedo detection powers), and you can mostly behave like a British CL, except you have HE and 32mm pen on BBs with that IFHE. It's not optimal for any one thing (not counting AA), but it's good enough for almost everything.

As a side note, I'm liking the F3 torps for the speed, at the ranges I like to fire my torps at, even the bots have a hard time dodging them, it's a bit of a "don't fire 'till you see the whites of their eyes"  sort of strategy.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222