Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Having trouble with the Kidd's guns

6 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,813 battles

Have the Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing, so the Kidd's guns are not a mystery.  I got her as a cap bully for Ranked.  She has my 19 pt Gearing Captain w/BFT.

Why can I not land gun shots on other dds?  I checked to make sure that I had dynamic crosshairs activated (I do).  It's not just in Ranked....having the same trouble with Random.

I can fight the Fletcher, why can't I seem to make her work?  What is different about this ship's guns?  She is supposed to be a dd bully, but if I can't hit them, not much of a threat.

What don't I know about this ship or what am I doing wrong?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,041 posts
11,539 battles

It's likely mental.  I struggle with Boise's AP for some reason.  They're the exact same 6"/47 that I used to devastating effect when Cleveland was T6.  They're similar to Belfast's 6"/50 that I still use to devastating effect.  With the Boise and NdJ though, I can't score cits on a broadside Omaha at 8km.  It's in my head to the point that I wonder if I should  even bother with the AP.  I have missed the shot before I even fire at this point.

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
Members
148 posts
9,098 battles
22 hours ago, AMajor said:

Have the Benson, Fletcher, and Gearing, so the Kidd's guns are not a mystery.  I got her as a cap bully for Ranked.  She has my 19 pt Gearing Captain w/BFT.

Why can I not land gun shots on other dds?  I checked to make sure that I had dynamic crosshairs activated (I do).  It's not just in Ranked....having the same trouble with Random.

I can fight the Fletcher, why can't I seem to make her work?  What is different about this ship's guns?  She is supposed to be a dd bully, but if I can't hit them, not much of a threat.

What don't I know about this ship or what am I doing wrong?

You have a case of the "Yips" as it's referred to in Golf. Just give it time and play it like you normally would. You will work through it.

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles

Not sure if its a quirk or something in my mind, but it seems to me that the Kidd's guns hit a little higher than some of my other DDs. If it seems like you're missing low, try raising your point of aim a little bit. 

Edit: So for grins I just ran a few training rooms. I think my issue is that playing BBs and CAs I by instinct tend to aim at the waterline, and that is too low for DDs. I ran tests with the Kidd, Fletcher, Yugumo and Z52 and aiming at the waterline yielded roughly 30% hits. Splitting the hull with the horizontal line of the crosshair yielded 80-90% hits, so that might be something to try. 

Granted, these were a few random tests at a range of 5.2-5.5km on a stationary Khaba, so take the with a small grain of salt. But point of aim definitely makes a difference. 

Apologies for the potato picture. I'm at the office and my work computer doesn't have the juice for high-res WOWS. 

5b9aa7e688f88_kiddaim.thumb.png.1c4be96ab277e4748fda462ac172c112.png

Edited by Falls_USMC

Members
1,513 posts
7,984 battles

Hey

I suck with the Kidd's guns too; I would rather sail any other T8 DD that I have than this one, especially when we see so few carriers to give it a workout.  It's my least favorite DD by a wide margin for me.

P.S.  Somebody mentioned the Boise and I have to say I am having quite a lot of fun with that cruiser. 103230 is my best in the Boise so far.

Pete

Edited by sasquatch_research

Sign in to follow this