Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belyy_Klyk

A Suggestion to Change Spotting/Assisted Damage

3 comments in this topic

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles

This suggestion comes specifically from a game I played this weekend with what I would consider an excellent team player in a Gearing. I really did not think of making a big post about it until I had a very similar game afterward, but I forgot screenshots and don't have much to stand on. After watching Flambass's video here where a Gearing helps him through the battle and finishes next to last, I think that is good enough to post on. 

Introduction:

I have never really noticed the way spotting damage works and I feel like most people do not pay attention or care unless they see a large number (thank you for adding a counter to the game WG) which makes sense. World of Warships is more focused on dealing damage and setting yourself up in the right position to cap, destroy, and win games so who cares about some spotting damage? In randoms, I mostly agree with this. When playing DD's I smoke up myself or teammates without much thought other than dealing higher damage and winning. Where I start to notice a major difference is in ranked. 

Importance of Spotting Damage: 

Spotting damage is not reflective of the amount of assistance a ship gives in a game. This is extremely noticeable in ranked games where there is only one DD with many CA/CL's. Winning is what matters in ranked. If you cannot win, you want to finish on the top of the leaderboard to save a star. You can love or hate it but that is how it currently sits. In order to finish at the top, you rely on doing the highest percentage of damage to ships health followed by shot down planes followed by captures and assisting captures. I am not sure how much spotting damage counts toward overall XP but we know that it does count. Encouraging DD's to spot and provide smokescreens for teammates is a good thing in ranked and can be a determining factor in the winner of the game. 

Current Issue:

1. A smart player/team that knows they are overmatched will retreat from a flank if they can stay concealed. This happened with a Minotaur and Conqueror a recent game. They saw 3 ships plus torps on this particular side and decided to disengage and try to regroup with their team. In order for the team to be able to see them, the DD must be within 9.2km of the Minotaur. This means that for the time that the DD is spotting a Minotaur and Conqueror for their team, it is unable to do any direct damage. As soon as they realize they are hard spotted and begin to take fire, they return fire. As we know, the gun bloom on detection range lasts for 20s and is the maximum firing range meaning that instead of the DD receiving spotting or assisted damage, they get nothing. If the DD is not there, no shots would be fired since they could remain concealed but since they fire, the DD is no longer the only one spotting the ships. 
  2. A DD committed to winning will often provide smokescreens to ships that need assistance turning out or need to be in the open to fire. The main ones I see in ranked this happens for are the Worcester, Minotaur, and Des Moines. Having a radar ship for close support as well as undetected is almost a necessity in ranked. A ship in smoke that is not firing will be detected most of the time at 2.0km. The same goes for vision out of the smoke. but this all goes down the drain when a ship fires. The video I linked earlier of Flambass showcases this point perfectly. Flambass needed vision outside the smoke screen to be able to fire on ships until they fired. Once the ships fire, he is now able to spot them for 20s. The DD is only needed for the initial vision and is only credited with damage until the ship is spotted by another. Here are some screenshots of a game where this happened between a Gearing (the one with 1,157 XP) and myself in a Worcester. The entire 90k on the GK, entire 40k on Yamato, and some of the DM damage came from within the Gearing's smoke when I could not detect the ships. Without the Gearing, I would have been able to spot them but never would have been able to fire at them. They destroyed our other ship at the cap and started to blind fire into the smoke because they had no other target and were permanently spotted. This allowed me to detect them. 
Spoiler

ranked_gearing2.thumb.PNG.b4c0d0879664580c063a61a66d438651.PNG

ranked_gearing.thumb.PNG.2dcdea1aea043b7da4f1e916bdc591a3.PNG

How to Improve:

I think there are multiple ways to do this and I am not sure how simple it would be to implement, but here is my suggestion: If a ship is spotted at its normal concealment while not firing, the ship that does the spotting should receive assisted damage for any damage caused while it is still in that range. I also believe that there should be an assisted damage category for smokescreens. This would be a little more difficult to differentiate between the spotting and assisted in smokescreen so this is not perfect. 

Example 1: A Gearing spots a Minotaur at 9.2km and his team opens fire. 10k damage is done to the Minotaur before it returns fire. The DD stays within 9.2km until his team destroys the Minotaur. Currently the Gearing would end with 10k spotting damage. My suggestion would be that the Gearing ends with the total amount of hit points that were taken off. This is only fair because without the Gearing's initial spot, none of that damage would have been dealt. If the Gearing exits the 9.2km range at any point, the current spotting damage system would apply. 

Example 2: A Gearing provides a smokescreen for a Worcester. The Worcester is able to fire from the smoke undetected and farm damage. The Worcester deals 90,752 damage to a BB while inside the smokescreen. Currently, if the BB is firing the Gearing would not receive any spotting damage because he is not the sole spotter for the ship. My suggestion is to give 90,752 assisted damage to the Gearing because the Worcester would never be able to take on a BB in open water without the smokescreen. 

The only issue I see is balancing this: A Gearing provides a smokescreen for a Worcester that is able to farm a BB that is only detected by the DD. Would the Gearing receive spotting and assisted damage? He did provide safety for the Worcester to fire and is currently spotting the BB. Would this be too much? This is something that would have to be looked into. 

Why this is Needed:

If our team would have lost this game, the DD in this game as well as in every other game with similar situations have no chance at saving a star. Some people would say they choose to play DD's so they understand this. While this is true, I think it should be improved so that players are rewarded for their overall contribution even if it is not direct damage. In the video I linked, Flambass comments at the end about how he felt bad for the player. I think it is a needed rework.

Comments?

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,397 battles

There is protentional damage for your ship you get credit for and spotting damage you get credit for other ships damage done to ships you spotted. This was added to the game not very long ago due to whiners wanting it because WoT had it. Before that we got 0 zip nada! Be happy you get something. 

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
22 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

There is protentional damage for your ship you get credit for and spotting damage you get credit for other ships damage done to ships you spotted. This was added to the game not very long ago due to whiners wanting it because WoT had it. Before that we got 0 zip nada! Be happy you get something. 

Did you not read the post? You get credit for the damage done to a target before that target fires. Meaning you can be responsible for the entire ship being destroyed but be credited with 0 spotting damage. 

• Bad 1

Sign in to follow this