Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

The battle of Midway and the CV reworking...

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,015 posts
12,898 battles

I just got through reading threads about the upcoming CV rework as well as about the new upcoming movie about the battle at Midway and the following cross pollination took place in my brain.

If you know anything at all about the battle you probably know that Adm. Nagumo set himself up for defeat by changing his mind a couple different times with what to arm his planes with, either anti ground or anti ship bombs. As a result when the US bombs started to fall his carrier decks were covered in unsecured ordinance that went up like firework displays.

Now WoWS CV drivers have asked a number of different time to be able to choose during battle the use of either HE or AP bombs. The CV rework would seem to be the perfect time to add that feature. That would give us the chance to have one of those Nagumo type moments where all of our planes are loaded with BB busting AP which isn't going to do us any good with that red DD that just popped up unexpectedly and is headed our way. Do we now suffer the time penalty switching or go with what we got.

It would make for some interesting decision making during the game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
741
[NG-NL]
Members
4,955 posts
8,094 battles

A mix of HE and AP would be an ideal answer, maybe, but given upcoming CV rework, future balancing will be done from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,315
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,467 posts
6,648 battles
26 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

That would give us the chance to have one of those Nagumo type moments where all of our planes are loaded with BB busting AP which isn't going to do us any good with that red DD that just popped up unexpectedly and is headed our way. Do we now suffer the time penalty switching or go with what we got.

except for one CV (graf zeppelin), HE/AP switching, which would require returning planes to the CV to rearm, would take too long to be useful (several minutes for some CVs, including flight time). We did suggest loadout switching (on board the CV during rearm rotation) during the GZ rework, but as with all sensible community suggestions, devs ignored us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
449 posts
12,207 battles

Sure, as long as DDs can switch off between faster short range torps and slower longer range ones in game.

Or better yet, regular or deep water options.

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,272
[HINON]
Members
8,807 posts
1 hour ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

If you know anything at all about the battle you probably know that Adm. Nagumo set himself up for defeat by changing his mind a couple different times with what to arm his planes with, either anti ground or anti ship bombs. As a result when the US bombs started to fall his carrier decks were covered in unsecured ordinance that went up like firework displays.

Newer sources and Japanese sources support the piece meal American strikes being the greater problem for nagumo. Because the American planes got split up and hit at different times his flight decks were busy maintaining the cap fighters and kept him from being able to sail into the wind long enough to get his strike off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,011
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Newer sources and Japanese sources support the piece meal American strikes being the greater problem for nagumo. Because the American planes got split up and hit at different times his flight decks were busy maintaining the cap fighters and kept him from being able to sail into the wind long enough to get his strike off.

This.  Nagumo was boned either way.  He did not have enough time between US airstrikes to spot and launch against TF 16 and 17.  Nagumo made some mistakes for certain, but he gets a lot more blame than he deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×