You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

What stat best equates to skill in WoWs

What stat do you think best equates to skill?   

127 members have voted

1. 1. What stat best equates to skill in Wows?

• Wows Numbers PR
    • Warships.today WTR
    • Win rate
    • Survival rate
    • Average damage
    • Average kills
    • Average planes shot down
    • Experience (as reported to the api with no differentiation for premium accounts)
    • Kills/death ratio
    • Average warships spotted
    • Average damage upon spotting

96 comments in this topic

[BIAS]
Members
2,992 posts
8,971 battles

So to those that care about stats (if you aren't, go somewhere else. I know you will stay and flame everything regardless of being told that but I'm not going to say you weren't told) what single stat do you think best shows a person's skill at world of warships? 

Is it one of the aggregate stats from one of the stats websites or is it an individual stat in the api? 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,482 posts
2,042 battles

No stat is perfect (they can all be manipulated) but solo WR is the best one. I mean most good players don't have 45% WR.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,225 posts
3,082 battles

It'd have to be solo win rate. Nothing else matters if you aren't winning with your skills. 

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles

Solo WR and solo average damage. What did you do, when it was just you, and only you, doing you things?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles
2 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

It'd have to be solo win rate. Nothing else matters if you aren't winning with your skills. 

Useless if it's all in T1s, Nikolai and Belfast.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Useless if it's all in T1s, Nikolai and Belfast.

But I suck in Payfast, man. :Smile_trollface:

[BIAS]
Members
2,992 posts
8,971 battles
5 minutes ago, Flying_butt_pliers said:

I found the best players all have really cool names.  All those numbers are just a distraction for the so called educated.

All capitals and usually emulating axis war heroes? 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

I don't look at stats, I look at the performance in battle.

I prefer to compare Number of Battles vs Win Rate either for the ship itself or the player.

[ARP2]
Members
1,221 posts
3,566 battles

While I don't think any stat should be read in isolation, solo win rate on a ship to ship basis is probably a good starting point 

Overall win rate is meaningless.

Members
25 posts
6,802 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

All capitals and usually emulating axis war heroes? 

maybe - take my name.  Its more funny than cool and therefor I'm just a good to very good player vs a Unicom.

[INTEL]
Members
740 posts
7,848 battles

Solo w/r.

I place far less importance on average damage. I've witnessed too many matches where useless farming takes place. Often at the cost of victory. 

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

Solo win rate, and also win rate by tier.  You see some players with decent overall win rates but a downward slope to them.  They're good shots but they don't grasp the advanced mechanics that come into play at higher tiers.

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles
Just now, sPzAbt505 said:

Hm.  My solo rate is 0.7% higher than my overall rate.

My 2 ship / 3 ship WR used to be terrible because it was entirely random groups of people that happened to div because we had one good game or because there was a mission that day that required you to be in a div.  An ad hoc division like that isn't much better than random and you run the risk of matchmaker assigning an actually coordinated clan div on the other team to oppose you.  Now that I'm in a clan, when I div it's with clan members with voice coms and all that and I do better.

[SIDE]
Members
713 posts
3,123 battles

It's Solo win rate for sure. At the end of the day it's about winning the game, even if you have to do things that would normally get you higher xp. (Like going for an uncontested capzone and lose 5 minutes on Damage) 

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,682 posts
3,459 battles

Solo WR reflects individual skill while Div WR reflects ability to work together.

Overall WR shows willingness to learn and progress.

[POP]
Members
518 posts
11,473 battles

I am going to buck the trend here … I feel like its the number of premiums in your port that gives you skill. Followed very closely by number of torpedoes spotted.

• Funny 3

[TBW]
Members
6,299 posts
11,856 battles

Ok solo win rate but what does it mean when my division WR is less than my solo WR? It means, that I div with my nephew and friends too much and not the right people.

[SIDE]
Members
713 posts
3,123 battles
3 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Ok solo win rate but what does it mean when my division WR is less than my solo WR? It means, that I div with my nephew and friends too much and not the right people.

Exactly that, It just means you're playing with less skilled players than yourself so that's why Division play doesn't rate how good the individual player is. So ofcourse your winrate will suffer. But hey, You're having fun with your buds. 

I'm on the same boat, I play with friends who don't play a lot of Wows, so my division winrate is lower. 

Edited by Merlox

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,201 posts
6,433 battles

Solo WR, but with a but.

For one, checking the most played ships gives an indication on if the WR has been padded by playing certain ships. Second, a certain number of games needs to have been played to use the Solo WR as a somewhat justified stat. For overall Solo Games, it starts at 2000. For individual ships, at least 150.