You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mikenstien

No Damage?

16 comments in this topic

[SC]
Members
143 posts
3,967 battles

So, can someone please explain to me how you can disable a ships engine with gun fire, but yet you did no damage to the ship? It seems that you must have done some damage to disable the engines, or did you just frighten them into a panic for about 30 seconds or more?

[PNG]
Supertester
5,653 posts
6,455 battles

Splash damage from HE rounds can damage modules but not the ships themselves if it strikes either the water adjacent to the ship, or a module that would absorb the damage, like a turret.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,159 battles

Splash damage from High Explosive rounds has the ability do knock out modules without doing any numerical damage.  I've detonated from a missed HE round that did 0 damage.  That was fun.

• Funny 1

Members
208 posts
2,089 battles
26 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I've detonated from a missed HE round that did 0 damage.  That was fun.

I wish you had a replay of that cause that's true luck right there.

Edited by Themothius
Forgot a word at end

[WORX]
Members
1,633 posts
12,669 battles

I would say DMG saturation in the aft part of the ship would cause that, with out pics or video I can;t confirm.

[GN_BR]
Members
124 posts
4,596 battles

Full pen hits to modules with zero damage are frustrating as well.

Edited by cthuhulu

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,159 battles
20 minutes ago, Themothius said:

I wish you had a replay of that cause that's true luck right there.

Didn't have a replay but I did save this:

zero.jpg.0a06aaf3efa8f0fe94836b3eb8516189.jpg

This was before they changed Detonation mechanics to prevent it from happening at full health.  First battle in a new ship, first shot fired at me.

Members
1,476 posts
659 battles
30 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

This was before they changed Detonation mechanics to prevent it from happening at full health.  First battle in a new ship, first shot fired at me.

Ouch.  What did you do to upset RNG?

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,950 battles
1 hour ago, Mikenstien said:

So, can someone please explain to me how you can disable a ships engine with gun fire, but yet you did no damage to the ship? It seems that you must have done some damage to disable the engines, or did you just frighten them into a panic for about 30 seconds or more?

If you’re asking for a realistic reason, it is possible to knock out propulsion without penetrating the hull. Hits to the props. 

If you’re asking just from a game standpoint, pens on modules tend to do 0 damage to your hit points. This can be seen with AP shells destroying AA or other modules and doing no damage.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,572 posts
3,901 battles
48 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

First battle in a new ship, first shot fired at me.

That's, like, an omen, right?

Members
1,777 posts
17,347 battles
2 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I see an Orion got you...what ship were you in (at 22k HP in the T4 range I'm guessing a cruiser of some sort or another).

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
3 hours ago, Compassghost said:

Splash damage from HE rounds can damage modules but not the ships themselves if it strikes either the water adjacent to the ship, or a module that would absorb the damage, like a turret.

Very much this.  DDs and kiting Cruisers go through a lot of that.  For the Cruiser it's worse as most Cruisers don't slot Last Stand like DDs traditionally do.  They don't want their Cruiser circling uncontrollably or dead in the water with broken engines, so it forces DCP use and that can set them up for big problems very soon if they're not careful.

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,159 battles
3 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I see an Orion got you...what ship were you in (at 22k HP in the T4 range I'm guessing a cruiser of some sort or another).

Yup, it was a Svietlana.

Members
1,777 posts
17,347 battles
6 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Yup, it was a Svietlana.

Fun ship...My next favorite T4 to the Kuma...helluva 1st battle though.

I took out a Benson w/1 2ndary in the Amagi...I was in binocular view taking on 4 different BBs at once from range & didn't even realize exactly what happened until I looked at the post battles afterwards...he just appeared out of nowhere...set a smoke screen & was gone before he had a chance to slow down in it (had to watch the replay to figure out just what happened).

I heard "you destroyed an enemy destroyer" & I was like...what? Got out of binocular view & all I could see was the grey triangle where he was (about 6 km away) & the smoke around it.

He typed in "well...that's my game" & I was so busy dodging the other 4 BBs rounds I didn't even have a chance to apologize (I comped him afterwards though).

Relevance...it was also a no damage 2ndary hit.

[PVE]
Members
8,819 posts
7,254 battles
17 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I've detonated from a missed HE round that did 0 damage.  That was fun.

16 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I did that to a bot in PvE recently. It was just before patch 7.8 dropped, so the replay won't help. :(  I thought that my salvo hit and detonated the ship, until I saw the 0/22,160 damage on the end screen.

1aoTJie.jpg