You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NiftyTrix

For Pete's sake, nerf chance of fire already

18 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
1,319 battles

Seriously WG needs to nerf chance of fire.  Leave it on Dive Bombers but all other ships it needs to be reduced.  When you have better results in a lone BB battle with no one else firing at either ship and HE spam dominates AP user, something is wrong.  In this case I was chasing another BB and he was showing much more broadside than me and most shots for both were misses or non damage hits but his HE won easily over my AP due to his 5 fires set over maybe 3 minutes of one on one battle.  We prob hit each other close to the same number of times but he set 5 fires on me after I had hit him with a few good AP volleys and had clear advantage in hit points.  HE damage is fine, especially when a ship is angled like you're supposed to do but it is so frustrating getting burned to death in almost every battle I play at low levels up to tier 8, I have nothing higher.  Multiple fires should be the exception, a fun bonus; not the rule.  This is even more true when you take into account that cruisers and destroyers have WAY better accuracy at all ranges than battleships.  Yes the potential for damage is higher but lets be honest, it's not really that often that battleships do significant damage when you take into account their horrible accuracy, RNG and smaller ships maneuvering.  If you don't want to reduce chance of fire, than give BB the same accuracy cruisers get at the same distances.  I'm not talking about max range accuracy.  So many times I've shot at smaller ships moving in a straight line within 10km and they hit me with most of their shots while my BB hits with maybe 10 percent a lot of the time.  Yes there is RNG and proper aim and I do miss often because I aimed bad or shot when they already started a turn or something but I'm referencing when they don't move and shots fall short or go long from fairly short ranges.  Maybe I'm wrong but I feel a battle against a battleship vs a lone cruiser at shorter ranges should be kinda scary for cruisers.  A battle where the better skilled player wins, not just who spams more HE because so many fires are guaranteed that you can run and maneuver like mad to not get hit and just occasionally fire HE and let your multiple fires burn em down while they continue to flee.  I'm trying to like this game and I like battleship play but unless you have a game where RNG is your friend, you are at a huge disadvantage in any one on one battles with smaller ships.  Nerf chance of fire or increase BB accuracy a little bit in mid to short ranges.  Max range should be harder to hit, I have no complaints with that.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,349 battles

Just a question. How many copies of these posts are you up to? Lost count.

Tip: One is enough

• Cool 1

Members
9,868 posts

Sometimes RNGesus smiles down upon you...other times he just takes a dump.:Smile_hiding:

But the multiple copies of this complaint will certainly not make him smile......

Members
763 posts
4,032 battles

Would you prefer that HE ROF/damage to increase, instead of having a fire chance with half or less potential damage compared to AP?

Because I don't think you would.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
243 posts
4,119 battles
15 minutes ago, NiftyTrix said:

nerf chance of fire

use flags and captain skills. they make a huge impact. As stated in WG's newest training video on fire meta. 

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
9,021 battles

So are you speccing your ship to reduce fire chance and fire damage? Are you playing in a way where you can go dark and heal up when need be and get the enemy ships interested in someone else for the time being? 

Or are you speccing a bb for full secondaries and yoloing in expecting to obliterate everyone? 

[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,312 battles
34 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Just a question. How many copies of these posts are you up to? Lost count.

Tip: One is enough

i think he is going the RNG route. Throw enough posts at a topic and eventually the ship catches fire, I mean someone gets the point.

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,208 posts
10,193 battles

Do not nerf fire chance.  I like nothing better than burning BB's to the water line.  If you want to stop me, shoot me.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles
24 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Paragraphs are your friend. 

This.

Also, I play a lot of BB's, I do not use FP. Spoiler: I rarely, and I do mean rarely, get burned down. The right modules, the fire time reduction flag, and just not being a total french fry keep me alive. More "almost" showing sides is not broadside, if it ain't flat sides, or you don't have AP that can reliably damage at angles, you should be using HE, as well. I'll fire AP a lot at angles, to take out guns, and to hit the superstructure. Knowing where to aim, and when to do it, is as important as knowing what ammo to use.

[ARP2]
Members
1,224 posts
3,566 battles

Can someone link the post that uses paragraphs so I can go read that one?

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,748 posts
9,477 battles
6 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Perhaps they are a time traveler.

Anyone know when writers started putting spaces between words but before paragraphs started to be used? That should help us narrow down what time they're from.

• Funny 1

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,646 battles
1 hour ago, NiftyTrix said:

Seriously WG needs to nerf chance of fire.  Leave it on Dive Bombers but all other ships it needs to be reduced.  When you have better results in a lone BB battle with no one else firing at either ship and HE spam dominates AP user, something is wrong.  In this case I was chasing another BB and he was showing much more broadside than me and most shots for both were misses or non damage hits but his HE won easily over my AP due to his 5 fires set over maybe 3 minutes of one on one battle.  We prob hit each other close to the same number of times but he set 5 fires on me after I had hit him with a few good AP volleys and had clear advantage in hit points.  HE damage is fine, especially when a ship is angled like you're supposed to do but it is so frustrating getting burned to death in almost every battle I play at low levels up to tier 8, I have nothing higher.  Multiple fires should be the exception, a fun bonus; not the rule.  This is even more true when you take into account that cruisers and destroyers have WAY better accuracy at all ranges than battleships.  Yes the potential for damage is higher but lets be honest, it's not really that often that battleships do significant damage when you take into account their horrible accuracy, RNG and smaller ships maneuvering.  If you don't want to reduce chance of fire, than give BB the same accuracy cruisers get at the same distances.  I'm not talking about max range accuracy.  So many times I've shot at smaller ships moving in a straight line within 10km and they hit me with most of their shots while my BB hits with maybe 10 percent a lot of the time.  Yes there is RNG and proper aim and I do miss often because I aimed bad or shot when they already started a turn or something but I'm referencing when they don't move and shots fall short or go long from fairly short ranges.  Maybe I'm wrong but I feel a battle against a battleship vs a lone cruiser at shorter ranges should be kinda scary for cruisers.  A battle where the better skilled player wins, not just who spams more HE because so many fires are guaranteed that you can run and maneuver like mad to not get hit and just occasionally fire HE and let your multiple fires burn em down while they continue to flee.  I'm trying to like this game and I like battleship play but unless you have a game where RNG is your friend, you are at a huge disadvantage in any one on one battles with smaller ships.  Nerf chance of fire or increase BB accuracy a little bit in mid to short ranges.  Max range should be harder to hit, I have no complaints with that.

Savings throws versus Wall of Text: Fortitude Save = fail. Reflex Save = fail. Willpower Save = fail. Cannotreadthisscreed.exe initialized.

5 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Nah, go read Blasto's latest greatest "I'm quitting and here's why post" it's more fun, relatively.

• Cool 2

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,092 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Sometimes RNGesus smiles down upon you...other times he just takes a dump.:Smile_hiding:

But the multiple copies of this complaint will certainly not make him smile......

I will post this in quadruiplicate in the spirit of the troll poster.......:Smile_popcorn:

I will post this in quadruiplicate in the spirit of the troll poster.......:Smile_popcorn:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
642 posts
8,567 battles

Considering that fire damage is 100% healable and you also get to decide when to use your damage control party, I don't think fire chance should be nerfed. But the Mega Zao is another story

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,378 posts
7,971 battles
3 hours ago, NATOMarksman said:

Would you prefer that HE ROF/damage to increase, instead of having a fire chance with half or less potential damage compared to AP?

Because I don't think you would.

We already had that - it was called IFHE and Wargaming never adjusted anything wen they first did it, and then changed burn times, and with it damage, that DD's and cruisers took. 

Which is what needs to happen to BB's and CV's or more accurately while the time is fine, the base damage needs to be changed from the current 18% per fire for BB's and 24% for CV's to 15% for BB's and something way less than 24% for CV's unless they A: give us a repair as well and B: make "emergency takeoff" a mechanic not a 3 point skill that's out done by paying 22500 credits for DCP II.

The chance of fire, while annoying, is not the issue. The issue is when the fire system, that has been otherwise unchanged, was put in play, HE was HE, nothing more. A Cleveland had 25 mm of pen on HE rounds - if it hit anything like a deck or bow of a higher tier BB or a cruiser that had more, the round shattered. 127 mm round would only punch through 21 mm or armour - so basically, a BB's super structure. It used to be you hit the decks, you hit the bow, these round would shatter, you basically had to hit super structure. And because half the rounds at best usually were hitting better protected areas, the fires were most of the damage, and could be repaired. But now IFHE these rounds pen especially in the 152mm gun case pretty much all armour above the surface with a few exceptions, and even if it's 25% more rounds penning, only 50% of that can be recovered from HE. 

Cleveland's HE is 726 per hit. Lets say you've always hit 9/12 rounds on a BB, but only 4 would pen, that's 2904 damage per salvo, that's 26136 dpm, half of which can be repaired. Let's say IFHE now 3 more hits are penetrating cause they usually hit 32 mm bow/deck armour - 5082 per salvo, 45738 dpm. That's without fires. and at most, a BB can repair 1/2 of that, or 22k and change, which, having done the math earlier would require would take 2 charges of repair party on a Mass with the flag that adds additional HP to the repair, which I think for Mass with premium consumable is a 28 second up time, 40 CD, and another 28 up time, hopefully while not being shot at. 80 seconds for any other BB if it's using RP II. Oh, and half the charges of the premium, and at most you get 5 with SI. Oh and that assumes no fires, that barring the full survivaility build, deals 12.2-18% of your HP per fire, to which each repair heals back 14% or 16.8% with the flag meaning basically you need 1 charge for each fire set, and even the full fireproofing is 10.4% per fire. The problem is the increased alpha with no change to fire damage.

We don't need fire chance to go down, we need damage from fires to go down.

[-S-R-]
[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
214 posts
1,458 battles

I don't understand why there isn't a fire/flood "meter" or saturation points rather than rewarding luck.  You can have some rng variability but maybe a particular BB needs 100 fire points to get a fire and CL has avg 10 fire points per shell.  So maybe it takes 8-12 he shells to light a fire in that case.  This removes the dumb situations like one stray DD shell with 5% hitting you and causing a fire or slamming 60 CL shells into a BB and getting no fires.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
6 hours ago, NiftyTrix said:

Do you ever do a personal self assessment of your performance in game against benchmarks of your pick of top players on the server?

They don't have issues with HE spam getting in the way of their success so maybe you could start by looking at the most glaring gaps between your performance metrics and theirs. Like your 21.5% survival rate which only happens to get that low if you are suicidally aggressive.

Success in this game is all about maxing damage while simultaneously minimizing damage taken. You are completely ignoring the latter half of that principle and it is having a devastating negative impact on the former.  In other words, you can't be a game changer if you spend more time below the surface of the water than above it.

Dial back the aggression a bit and get more skilled at doing considerable damage while rarely ever having more than one ship shooting at you at the same time. The gun reload mechanics are such that if there is a force count disadvantage where more shells are hitting you than you have the capacity to return shells you are going to continue struggling at this game.