You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lloyd_Stephen_Webb

Ranked and Clan battles

7 comments in this topic

[POD]
Members
2 posts
21,717 battles

I recently finished a ranked battle and my team lost tho I was third on my team.  When I got back into port I had a message from the top player on my team telling me to stay out of ranked till I learned to play.  My response was not glamourous to say the least, as I told him to do something anatomically impossible. But the point is NOONE other than WG has the right to tell another player to stay out until they learn to play.  Ranked, clan, random, and Coop all have slightly different play styles and the only way to learn is to play.  And everyone has a different play style but we are all here to play and have fun and should never tell anyone that they should not play in this type or another type of game. So while I prolly should be reported for my response to him. I did report him for his message to me. My profile is not hidden and his was not either so I will tell you this much I had more awards than he did. LOL I may not be the best player but I am not the worst either, and it should be more about having fun than winning tho winning is NICE.  So if you are the type of person to tell others to stop playing because they aren't up to your STANDARD well enjoy getting reported and blacklisted by at least me anyway lol.  Yall have a wonderful day and enjoy warships and don't let the IDIOTS bring you down .

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[MEIST]
Members
798 posts
2,959 battles

People get mad and vent when playing a competitive game mode. He may have sent a message to everyone on the team. I wouldn't worry about it. You tried your best and that's all you can do.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,669 posts
7,570 battles

Not sure why you lump Clan Battles in with this, its not like ranked at all because the team is picked ahead of time If someone has a problem with a team member in Clan Battles they can choose to not play, you dont get that ability in ranked.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles
2 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

People get mad and vent when playing a competitive game mode. He may have sent a message to everyone on the team. I wouldn't worry about it. You tried your best and that's all you can do.

This is exactly why the team factor needs to be removed or at least reduced in Ranked. One suggestion I have seen is for the top seven base experience players get a star. With that there would be no more failing to the top.

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Supertester
1,888 posts
10,010 battles
1 hour ago, Lloyd_Stephen_Webb said:

it should be more about having fun than winning tho winning is NICE. 

For many that requires winning, special rewards and missions often require winning to complete.  Gaining stars in ranked requires winning.   Losing pushes them further from those.  So not winning means not having fun.

Players are free to play however they want, for whatever goals they want (within the ToS/EULA) but remember, what one player considers fun may not be what another considers fun.   Neither is wrong, and all players are worthy of respect (except TKing and/or chat spamming trolls of course :fish_viking:)   So the player was wrong to message you as they did.  However there are folks playing ranked who don't care about winning the battle, they just want to go pew-pew and maybe get some rewards if lucky.  These players are equally being disrespectful to all the players who are taking ranked seriously (aka the way WG intended and promoted it, as serious competition where winning is everything).  

With clan battles and Operations players who want to be serious can do so with preformed groups, likewise those who want to joke around can do so with a preformed group where everyone is on the same page.   Co-Op and Randoms players can division with like-minded folks and comprise a large portion of their own team.   Ranked is the only location that players must play with completely random selection of folks.   It is reasonable to expect that out of respect for our fellow players only those who intend to play the mode seriously and to the best possible chance of victory will ready up for battle in it.   

• Cool 4

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
1 hour ago, Lloyd_Stephen_Webb said:

I recently finished a ranked battle and my team lost tho I was third on my team.  When I got back into port I had a message from the top player on my team telling me to stay out of ranked till I learned to play.  My response was not glamourous to say the least, as I told him to do something anatomically impossible. But the point is NOONE other than WG has the right to tell another player to stay out until they learn to play.  Ranked, clan, random, and Coop all have slightly different play styles and the only way to learn is to play.  And everyone has a different play style but we are all here to play and have fun and should never tell anyone that they should not play in this type or another type of game. So while I prolly should be reported for my response to him. I did report him for his message to me. My profile is not hidden and his was not either so I will tell you this much I had more awards than he did. LOL I may not be the best player but I am not the worst either, and it should be more about having fun than winning tho winning is NICE.  So if you are the type of person to tell others to stop playing because they aren't up to your STANDARD well enjoy getting reported and blacklisted by at least me anyway lol.  Yall have a wonderful day and enjoy warships and don't let the IDIOTS bring you down .

I agree with you, every player with the appropriate ship has the right to play in Ranked.  

As a player in Ranked however, you have an obligation to do the very best you can because it is a competition and people do take it seriously.  For me, the critical criteria for Ranked battles is whether or not you willing to be a team player and actively work with others in your team.  There are a couple of actions you can take that are worthy of a player being told that they should probably either change their ways or return to the world of Random's and Co-op, mostly because having players on your team that take these actions goes a long way torwards dooming the efforts of other players on the team. 

1) Be a yolo, head off on your own, pay no attention to the teams plan and get yourself deleted for not real gain.  Yolo players transform a team oriented game into 7v7 Random battles and the only hope you have is that there are yolo players on the other team to balance you out.

2) Be a sniper:  Take your battleship off to the far edges of the map and begin lobbing shells here and there and essentially take yourself out of the effort to capture and hold the caps.  Caps in Ranked are critical and BB snipers often doom the teams effort to grab and hold caps.  If you decide to take this approach, plan on having your teammates being less that perfectly pleased with your actions. 

This also applies to "Torpedo snipers" for DD players.  The caps are essential and having a DD to assist in their capture is critical.  DD's in the sniper role often doom their team to failure as this often removes their presence from the cap. 

If you can be a team player and avoid these pitfalls and learn as you play, then Ranked is the right place for you. 

[SF-3]
Members
41 posts
12,848 battles

First, I don't think throwing salt your way was appropriate.  Asking you to get better might not be horrible if it was constructive just saying quit playing ranked is harsh.  I have asked players in Tier X matches to play lower tiers until they get better especially CV players.  No fun for the team when you have a Tier X CV match and your CV is below average, and the other side is Super Unicum.  I am sure the player who asked you to quit looked up your stats, and just being a jerk.  Don't let it bother you.  You are right as long as you are learning and doing your best.  I'd explain to him you mostly play Tier 8, and are open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, but just not playing ranked is kind of harsh like I said.