Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Battle of Midway Movie

168 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

214
[LWA]
Members
615 posts
8,782 battles

I just saw a post on Facebook that a new movie is about to commence filming at Pearl Harbor in Oahu about the Battle of Midway with the US Navy overseeing the movie to held to historical accuracies.  Hopefully this movie won't have a romance interrupted by attacking aircraft like the 2001 movie "Pearl Harbor".  Sheesh.  I would like to let WG know about this movie, but it seems they already do as their banners are all over the movie web page.  This would be a great collaboration between the movie and this game just like what was done with the "Dunkirk" movie.  It will probably take a year or so for the movie to be finished, and I am figuring about the same time frame for the CV rework for World of Warships to be completed.  Coincidence?  Get more premium aircraft carriers?  USS Yorktown and IJN Akagi with 1942 configuration and aircraft as tier 7s?   Yeah, I know we already have USS Enterprise, but that is her in a 1945 configuration.  IJN Kaga is already at tier 7,  and tier 7 is a much sweeter tier than tier 8.

Impatiently waiting for the first movie trailer.

Battle of Midway Movie Link

Another source for Midway Movie

 

Edited by db4100
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,780 posts
5,642 battles

I do not think the US Navy would collaborate at any level with a Russian Company. 

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
437
[YAN]
Members
1,637 posts
7,464 battles
11 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Battle of Midway with the US Navy overseeing the movie to held to historical accuracies.

Mmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,129
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,493 posts
10,207 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Mmm

Mmmm what? Would you prefer the modern day history revisionists are consulted?

  • Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
461
[LOU1]
Members
2,895 posts
8,004 battles
17 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

I do not think the US Navy would collaborate at any level with a Russian Company. 

Ah, but the USN is not making the movie.  It would be the movie studio that would be collaborating.  I'm sure the USN would set some parameters, similar to ones transmitted to WG by the Russian government.  Money and publicity still talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,743
[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
3,984 battles

If they're smart they'll watch the 1970s original, learn, and concentrate on making the effects better.

  • Cool 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
128
Members
511 posts
2,844 battles

Starring Mandy Moore from the guy who brought us such gems as The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Independence Day, and Godzilla (the really awful one with Broderick). 

90% chance its going to be garbage, maybe a baby step better than a Michael Bay film. Emmerich is all about disasters and special effects. Wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese side is ignored almost entirely.

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
287
[KNTAI]
Members
765 posts
4,036 battles

The real question is why isn't there a movie about the Battle Off Samar?

Now that's a movie I'd pay to see on day one.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,649
[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles
16 hours ago, db4100 said:

I just saw a post on Facebook that a new movie is about to commence filming at Pearl Harbor in Oahu about the Battle of Midway with the US Navy overseeing the movie to held to historical accuracies.  Hopefully this movie won't have a romance interrupted by attacking aircraft like the 2001 movie "Pearl Harbor".  Sheesh.  I would like to let WG know about this movie, but it seems they already do as their banners are all over the movie web page.  This would be a great collaboration between the movie and this game just like what was done with the "Dunkirk" movie.  It will probably take a year or so for the movie to be finished, and I am figuring about the same time frame for the CV rework for World of Warships to be completed.  Coincidence?  Get more premium aircraft carriers?  USS Yorktown and IJN Akagi with 1942 configuration and aircraft as tier 7s?   Yeah, I know we already have USS Enterprise, but that is her in a 1945 configuration.  IJN Kaga is already at tier 7,  and tier 7 is a much sweeter tier than tier 8.

Impatiently waiting for the first movie trailer.

Battle of Midway Movie Link

Another source for Midway Movie

 

It's Roland Emmerich. Going to be trash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
601
[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,573 battles

As long as we don't have shots with Burke class Destroyers that the audience are supposed to accept are Mahans. It's sad when a movie like 'Battleship' is more historically accurate than 'Pearl Harbor', and movie execs think audiences won't notice.

Edited by Jakob_Knight
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[BLHK]
Members
304 posts
3,340 battles
23 minutes ago, Jakob_Knight said:

As long as we don't have shots with Burke class Destroyers that the audience are supposed to accept are Mahans. It's sad when a movie like 'Battleship' is more historically accurate than 'Pearl Harbor', and movie execs think audiences won't notice.

I never realized it at the time. But the producers of Battleship got lucky and were able to film the actual Missouri at sea. Covered her with something like 17 cameras and a brace of drones to capture as much footage as they could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[BLHK]
Members
304 posts
3,340 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Mmmm what? Would you prefer the modern day history revisionists are consulted?

When the original film 'Midway' was made in the 70s A lot of effort was made to try and make it as historical as possible, even splicing real combat footage into the movie to add to the feel.

So from an historical perspective not really sure what more could be done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,129
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,493 posts
10,207 battles
54 minutes ago, ksix said:

Starring Mandy Moore from the guy who brought us such gems as The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, Independence Day, and Godzilla (the really awful one with Broderick). 

90% chance its going to be garbage, maybe a baby step better than a Michael Bay film. Emmerich is all about disasters and special effects. Wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese side is ignored almost entirely.

Japanese side is pretty simple - they attacked us unprovoked in an effort to expand their empire and take us out before we could try and stop them. They have no side worth seeing. No interest in seeing modern day revisionist historians trying to make me feel bad for them or make them look less evil than they were (then - not talking modern times before I get nailed by a Mod for racism or something).

EDIT - Independence Day was a good movie btw.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
437
[YAN]
Members
1,637 posts
7,464 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Mmmm what? Would you prefer the modern day history revisionists are consulted?

It doest me to be honest, I just thought it was funny that the USN are being consulted on something that could be heavily biased. Likewise I would it hilarious if they consulted the Japanese SDF.

  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[BLHK]
Members
304 posts
3,340 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Japanese side is pretty simple - they attacked us unprovoked in an effort to expand their empire and take us out before we could try and stop them. They have no side worth seeing. No interest in seeing modern day revisionist historians trying to make me feel bad for them or make them look less evil than they were (then - not talking modern times before I get nailed by a Mod for racism or something).

EDIT - Independence Day was a good movie btw.

Modern revisionism has been given a boost by the discovery of a cache of Japanese documents at the time. About the only real difference you are seeing is the whole lead up to the war was marked more by extreme ineptitude and less on pure evil.

The Japanese started the war with the assumption they were going to lose - I kid you not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
437
[YAN]
Members
1,637 posts
7,464 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

 they attacked us unprovoked in an effort to expand their empire and take us out before we could try and stop them.

That at least is false, the Japanese had had multiple sanctions on them by the US.

  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
452 posts
2,261 battles

Funny, I just watched Midway yesterday. Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora and 2 amazing movies and I do wish for more WW2 naval movies. Tora, Tora, Tora and Waterloo are possibly my favorite films because of their attention to historical accuracy. I like Midway but it doesn't hold a torch to Tora, Tora, Tora (especially since it uses a lot of reused footage from Tora, Tora, Tora in the Midway attack).

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
140 posts
12,908 battles
1 hour ago, NATOMarksman said:

The real question is why isn't there a movie about the Battle Off Samar?

The primary reason for this, in my opinion, is a prohibitive lack of crucial hardware. Just to tell the USN side, you'd need one DD, one DE and one CVE. On the IJN side, you'd need one DD, one CL and / or one CA, and one BB. Just one of each is all we need, because we can dress 'em up to look like different ships of the same type, and even different classes of ships of the same type for the IJN (which had destroyers of three different classes in this battle).

On the one hand, three Fletcher class destroyers survive as museum ships in the United States and there's one more in Greece. So, there's one ship class that had a key role in that battle which a production company could potentially use as a practical set location, with the usual augmenting by CGI. This is a fairly convincing way to shoot a movie.

It would be a disservice to the history of this particular battle to have a full-size Fletcher "stand in" as a Butler-class destroyer escort. Fortunately, there are a couple of destroyer escorts that still exist today which could serve as practical sets augmented by CGI. They are the wrong class (one is a Cannon and the other is an Edsall), but that's a forgivable corner to cut. We can forgo that level of accuracy for practicality and availability, right? And those ships are both in the USA as well.

Now on the other hand, regarding the CVEs we have a major problem. Namely, they no longer exist. The Casablanca-class CVE was the most prolific aircraft carrier in history -- there were fifty (50) of them -- yet none survive today. Why not substitute a Bogue then? There were 45 of those, and sadly they are all gone as well. As far as I know, there isn't a single surviving example of an escort carrier of any class anywhere in the world.

With the retelling of this particular story, the Battle Off Samar, it would be a cardinal sin to try to substitute one of the existing fleet carrier museum ships as a CVE. That would be wrong, just wrong. Lexington, Midway, Intrepid, none of those can stand in for an escort carrier. It would be like substituting BB-61 Iowa for a light cruiser. It just doesn't fit, and it would change the story. CGI can't convincingly "augment" that disparity in size and scale.

Then there's the question of how do you represent Kurita's Center Force. None of those ships exist today either! Back in 2005, a feature-length film "Otoko-tachi no Yamato" was made in Japan about the crew of the Yamato. Full-size partial sets were built with extensive detail. I haven't seen this move in full, but the parts I've watched on YouTube looked very good. But, there were a variety of ship types and classes in Center Force, so the 1:1 set building would be quite a bit more expensive and complicated than it was for Yamato. But, you could carry this replica set construction over to the missing Casablancas on the USN side as well. I can't imagine what kind of budget that would require though.

Finally, you could just do it all with CGI, sure. However to me all-CGI feels like a cartoon. No doubt it would look great for a year or two, but then as CGI technology advances beyond the point at which your film was made, said film starts to look a little more frayed around them hem each passing year like a worn-out garment. That's why I'm a fan of practical sets laced with a sprinkle of CGI.

At any rate, that's my answer for ya... I don't think the story Samar can be done correctly as a movie because too much hardware is missing. You can throw money at that problem, but that requires producers who are generous and dedicated... not an especially easy thing to find these days.

 

Edited by Ziggy_Sprague
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,537 posts
697 battles
1 minute ago, 13th_Earl_White_Haven said:

Funny, I just watched Midway yesterday. Midway and Tora, Tora, Tora and 2 amazing movies and I do wish for more WW2 naval movies. Tora, Tora, Tora and Waterloo are possibly my favorite films because of their attention to historical accuracy. I like Midway but it doesn't hold a torch to Tora, Tora, Tora (especially since it uses a lot of reused footage from Tora, Tora, Tora in the Midway attack).

I haven't seen Waterloo in so long. 

After reading the history of the battle, the scenes I remembered become so much more real (the death ride of the British heavy cavalry, and Maitland in the field).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[SDIWO]
Members
1,031 posts
5,231 battles
16 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

That at least is false, the Japanese had had multiple sanctions on them by the US.

Because they were engaged in a war of conquest in China which was a US ally at the time....but if you hadn't said what you said I would have. There are very few wars that are started entirely unprovoked.

Edited by LubzinNJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,126
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,123 posts
18,640 battles

Hope someone told him to read "Shattered Sword" first... A shame that they stopped doing movies like Tora,Tora, Tora, Zulu, Gettysburg and Waterloo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,979 posts
9,855 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

EDIT - Independence Day was a good movie btw.

 I agree but the sequel was just dumb in oh so many ways . I did not see it in a theater but did go out and buy it on DVD right away and was so eager to see it . Watched it and then took it out to the lobby of my apartment building for someone else to have for free . 

:Smile_honoring: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,649
[INTEL]
Members
8,461 posts
25,360 battles
16 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

That at least is false, the Japanese had had multiple sanctions on them by the US.

Any number of policy responses to the sanctions were possible. The Japanese chose a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor -- widening a war in China and Indochina which was already too big for them to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
2,854 posts
4,088 battles
10 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

Because they were engaged in a war of conquest in China which was a US ally at the time....but if you hadn't said what you said I would have. There are very few wars that are started entirely unprovoked.

and because their propaganda urged for a world under japanese roof.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakkō_ichiu

remember that the video below is a ww2 propaganda video originally made in ww2,available nowadays on netflix and here.

 

Edited by Cruxdei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
452 posts
2,261 battles
37 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Japanese side is pretty simple - they attacked us unprovoked in an effort to expand their empire and take us out before we could try and stop them. They have no side worth seeing. No interest in seeing modern day revisionist historians trying to make me feel bad for them or make them look less evil than they were (then - not talking modern times before I get nailed by a Mod for racism or something).

EDIT - Independence Day was a good movie btw.

I think in any movie about a battle such as Midway you must show both sides. I personally cant agree that the Japanese don't have a side worth seeing. The west underestimated them and for the first year at least of the  war we paid for it. Their plans were brilliant and as the opposing force it fascinating to study. Their arrogance and overconfidence at Midway is a key factor in the battle and it is refreshing to see their prospective in Tora, Tora, Tora and Midway. The U.S. sanctioned them and placed an oil embargo on them (both I agree with whole heartedly) which IMO make a strike against us not unprovoked. The U.S. was foolish, naive, or arrogant  or a combination to not expect the attack (a point shown in Tora,Tora, Tora perfectly). Too many films put entertainment over accuracy for my taste. Imagine Schindler's list without the prospective of Fine's character with what is imo evil as can be, it would have less impact. 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×