You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Katyusha_454

Best lines for new players?

18 comments in this topic

[SNAP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
143 posts
3,850 battles

A friend of mine is looking to get back into WoWS after having not played it since the beta, and I've been attempting to show him the ropes.  I've been trying to figure out which lines to recommend but I can't seem to settle on which ones.  I'm looking for preferably one (at most two) line each for battleships, cruisers, and destroyers that will be good for learning the fundamentals of those ship types.  So, taking only tier 2 through 6 ships into consideration (because he's unlikely to hit anything higher than 6 until he's already played enough to have a decent grasp of the basics), what lines are best for teaching fundamentals?  I'd like to avoid any gimmicky lines that will teach bad habits and if possible avoid lines that are mostly decent but have one or two utter turds in them that might discourage him from going further.

Members
136 posts
7,653 battles

IMHO, the USN or IJN lines. The original 2. Probably the least gimmicky, have to learn the fundamentals. Play styles are different enough to keep it fun.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

DD’s: PA, good guns and torps, cant hit other DD with torps though.

Cruiser: MN, decent he/ap and pretty solid ships.

BB: MN; speedy battleships that can correct a faulty position quite easily. 

Edit: IJn CA/BBs are also a good choice. Less gimmicky and still solid. Though the IJN BBs can be difficult to play due the long range they have.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

German cruisers are a good starting point to me. French too, if you don't mind the gimmicks. US destroyers are also fairly well rounded in all areas, though if your friend played them in the beta they'll be more used to them as gunboats than the hybrids they've evolved into.

As for lines to avoid for getting back into the game I can immediately call out IJN DDs, RN CLs, CVs in general until the rework hits, and maybe French BBs, mostly for the Normandie and Lyon.

[TBW]
Members
6,314 posts
11,857 battles

Russian cruisers have lasers for guns, French cruisers are pretty good.  The British DDs are coming out very soon and have single fire torps The German DDs are quite nice. The french BBs are pretty capable and the British. Low tier US BBs are very slow, very slow. At tier 6 he should do some operations and earn some 10 point captains and some premium time. It's also a good place to grind your tier 6's and practice shooting moving targets and to dodge and weave to avoid getting hit too much.

My best line though is: Hi, do you have a boyfriend? No, are you looking for one? No, I'm not looking for a girlfriend either, we should talk.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[RKLES]
Members
7,094 posts
8,733 battles

German Battleships are pretty forgiving since they get into mid and close ranges and their guns and armor hold up well.

Members
1,773 posts
17,335 battles
2 hours ago, Katyusha_454 said:

A friend of mine is looking to get back into WoWS after having not played it since the beta, and I've been attempting to show him the ropes.  I've been trying to figure out which lines to recommend but I can't seem to settle on which ones.  I'm looking for preferably one (at most two) line each for battleships, cruisers, and destroyers that will be good for learning the fundamentals of those ship types.  So, taking only tier 2 through 6 ships into consideration (because he's unlikely to hit anything higher than 6 until he's already played enough to have a decent grasp of the basics), what lines are best for teaching fundamentals?  I'd like to avoid any gimmicky lines that will teach bad habits and if possible avoid lines that are mostly decent but have one or two utter turds in them that might discourage him from going further.

Actually...except for the Brit BBs (only ones that have a penchant to wanna use HE instead of AP even at lower tiers) & Brit cruisers (only ones that only get AP for an option) none of the lines have many gimmicks before T6 (T6 is usually the starting point for the gimmicks on most lines).

My advice is have him run them all to T4 (that doesn't really take that much time) & by then he should have a strong grasp on which lines are best to continue to T6 & beyond for him (even the "turds" at those tier don't take too long to get through & it would be easy to compare the differences at T5 & T6 to see what the upcoming "turds" are. Some of us didn't have that option ourselves as most of the lines didn't exist but it would be best way to practice to get back in the swing of things & help him get a feel for each lines differences.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

BBs - Germans and RN are easiest to play for newbs, but if you aren't mindful both lines can promote bad habits that dont serve you well elswhere (Germans might not learn about citadel protection, Brits might not learn how to use AP properly). Any of the other lines would work fine as well, BBs as a whole are probably the easiest place to start for new players.

CAs - IJN, German, Russian, French all should work for newbs, as long as they learn how to WSAD having good range and accurate guns should help keep them alive. US(floaty shells, island hugging) and RN cruisers (made of paper, smoke reliant) might be too challenging for some new players.

DDs - I dont DD much but US seemingly are the most well rounded and versatile( good guns/torps can brawl, contest caps)

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[PVE]
Members
493 posts
4,066 battles

IJN BBs teach you to stay angled without handicapping you to 20 knot top speeds. KM BBs are more forgiving but they don't really make you learn angling.

IJN cruisers are also good for learning as they have good AP and HE and they teach you to not be out in the open alone. In that regard they are better to learn on than the other lines.

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
135 posts

DD - For DD, my best would be the American or Pan Asian. Both will teach some decent basic skills to learn from gunning, to torp runs.

CA - IJN CA's are a great start. It's a well rounded line with good guns and decent torps and great concealment

BB - Personally, I would go with the American line. They're a bit more forgiving than the IJN BBs for broadside but can be quite tanky. The guns are decent and due to they're strengths and weaknesses, you're likely to get a good handle on the basics without learning bad habits.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,524 battles

BBs: Probably the US BB and KM BBs for those tiers up to tier 6 are forgiving and give great damage output.

Cruisers: KM and if he wants a challenge RN

DD: PA DD to learn to gun boat and pick your torps

Welcome back to your friend. Don't forget to give him a friend invite code, so he can earn a Texas and Diana (if he doesn't already), thus training those captains becomes easier

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

Russian cruisers. Difficult, but they teach good lessons on overextending and showing broadside.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,301 posts
3,653 battles

Personally I feel a beginner should play as many classes and nations as possible. That way he/she can understand whether he/she likes a specific playstyle that they may want to get started with.  In addition spending more time in the lower tiers instead of gunning for one or two lines and just grinding them can help players get a better grasp of the game and be better prepared for mid tiers.

That said, 

KM and IJN BBs, the first to teach medium range encounters and brawling, the latter because it has dependable ships that can perform in many situations and can engage in long range gunnery.

IJN and RU or KM Cruisers, the first to give a good experience in the way heavy cruisers work in higher tiers. As for RU or KM, to show how light cruisers function. Of note is that Konigsberg and Nurnberg benefit from the improved HE penetration of the Germans, effectively having a built in IFHE.

USN and IJN or PA DDs. USN DDs have generous smoke, have no real stinkers, have some of the best ships in class tier for tier, and from tier VII onwards can also function as torpedo boats.

PA DDs, while a mix of nations offer good ships, good smoke and deep water torpedoes. IJN DDs, while at first glance would be a bad choice, are pretty good up to tier VI. Fubuki is just excellent and a very good teacher when it comes to being a torpedo boat.

[SNAP]
143 posts
3,850 battles

I'm surprised so many people are recommending Pan-Asian DDs.  I figured the deep-water torps would confuse a new player about how torpedoes work.  I was also wondering, what do people think of German DDs?  I haven't played them much but most of them seem to be pretty well-rounded.

11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

My best line though is: Hi, do you have a boyfriend? No, are you looking for one? No, I'm not looking for a girlfriend either, we should talk.

*Sigh*....men...:fish_palm:

[TBW]
Members
6,314 posts
11,857 battles
12 minutes ago, Katyusha_454 said:

I'm surprised so many people are recommending Pan-Asian DDs.  I figured the deep-water torps would confuse a new player about how torpedoes work.  I was also wondering, what do people think of German DDs?

I do much better in those two nations than I did in the others, It could be just the experience I gained from the other nations though.

12 minutes ago, Katyusha_454 said:

*Sigh*....men...:fish_palm:

You have to come up with a good opening statement (line) or you don't get a second chance, after that it is courtesy and respect, Humor helps too. I never use the same line twice, that one was what I consider my best, Melinda apparently liked it, we were together for 5 years.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
952 posts
5,676 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 3:04 AM, Sovereigndawg said:

"What's a nice ship like you doing in a sea like this?"

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,118 battles

I was also going to recommend the IJN BB, IJN CA, and USN DD lines.  

IJN BBs, being mostly battlecruiser type ships, will teach gunnery skills, and if guided in the right way by you, will teach how to stay angled and wiggle to expose all of their turrets then returning to an angled posture.  Also, since most of them are relatively speedy, they are comfortable to play and reposition as the battle progresses.  They also lead to one of the best BBs in the game (Yamato).

IJN CAs are just solid all arounders.  They have strong AP, good HE, torps for utility, and are pretty maneuverable.  They are also fragile if you show too much broadside, so they'll again teach angling and positioning.  They also lead to one of the best utility cruisers in the game (Zao).

USN DDs were a pick more because they are fun to play and can teach how to gunboat and cap contest.  What most won't really teach is how to stealth torp (with a few exceptions).  Some of them (Clemson, Nicholas) are real highlights until you get up to tier VIII.  They also lead to some of the best DDs in the game (Fletcher in particular).

[WOLFC]
Members
63 posts
3,291 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 2:32 PM, Katyusha_454 said:

I'm surprised so many people are recommending Pan-Asian DDs.  I figured the deep-water torps would confuse a new player about how torpedoes work. 

Not being able to sink DD with torps forces you to

• be a better shot
  • work out HE vs AP scenarios
  • not just focus on capping
  • use your consumables more judiciously. 
  • work with your teammates more

Edited by Anonymous50