You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RazgrizRaptor

Is it just me, or does something feel off with this ranked season?

17 comments in this topic

[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,948 battles

so, the title says it all, there's nothing wrong with it really, but something feels off to me. I was super excited to start ranked before it came out, for weeks I was excited. but now that it's here, I'm finding it very hard to click that battle button. does anyone else feel like something's off with this season of ranked?

best guess I have on why it's off for me is...

1.) no flag rank 15 flag for this season. so every ranked until this one has given us a flag to say "I participated", but this one doesn't seem to have that. am I wrong or is this little reward missing?

2.) reversion to rank 12. again, not really anything wrong with this, just like everything I can think of, but for some reason, I was more motivated to get to rank 10 than I was to get to rank 12.

3.) Rank 10 = Tier 10. I just liked that, it meant placing high in the ladder meant I could still use my T8s. you've no idea how excited I was to just enjoy Big Mamie and Kidd, only to start this season too high to use them. >.<;

well, those are the little things that have no effect on gameplay and there's nothing wrong with how ranked is currently, but for whatever reason, I just can't find my excitement for ranked like I had before it came. I even looked under the couch and my bed. lol

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
615 posts
7,709 battles

I can only speak to #1, but I thought the same thing.  That's usually the first thing I look at for any Ranked season, I love my custom flags!  Wilhelmshaven is a staple on all of my German ships.

If you look under Basic Rules on the ranked page, they have the Rank 15 flag at the bottom.  I don't think it was there when I first looked, just "UPD" in orange which had me on Google for a while.  Maybe it was something with the link or just my PC, but the flag seems to be there now.  Attaching a screenshot in case it decides to disappear again. :)

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-10/#rules

Rank10Flag.thumb.png.23af2d9b3557b107d47eb48684e493e1.png

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,562 battles

This is the first season I don't feel pressure to get to Rank 1 or any Rank really. After reaching my goals of obtaining the Black last season, Rank is just a battle mode I used to know. I'm still playing it a bit but its not my focus. Played one game today, won and was like that'll do. I than played some Tier 10 randoms for the LoLz and the KitKate for the Exp. I can only hope that more people avoid playing Rank this season so WG has to think about redesigning this terrible game mode.

Edited by RedSeaBear

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Having played a MASSIVE sample size of... Two ranked seasons, this one included; I can conclude that this season is comparatively a dumpster fire and that this fact irritates me to no end since I'm stuck in tier 10 matches if I want to try pulling my own teeth out with pliers. Sorry, I meant to say progressing, my mind just slipped and made me think of something more pleasant.

• Funny 1

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
543 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, RazgrizRaptor said:

so, the title says it all, there's nothing wrong with it really, but something feels off to me. I was super excited to start ranked before it came out, for weeks I was excited. but now that it's here, I'm finding it very hard to click that battle button. does anyone else feel like something's off with this season of ranked?

best guess I have on why it's off for me is...

1.) no flag rank 15 flag for this season. so every ranked until this one has given us a flag to say "I participated", but this one doesn't seem to have that. am I wrong or is this little reward missing?

2.) reversion to rank 12. again, not really anything wrong with this, just like everything I can think of, but for some reason, I was more motivated to get to rank 10 than I was to get to rank 12.

3.) Rank 10 = Tier 10. I just liked that, it meant placing high in the ladder meant I could still use my T8s. you've no idea how excited I was to just enjoy Big Mamie and Kidd, only to start this season too high to use them. >.<;

well, those are the little things that have no effect on gameplay and there's nothing wrong with how ranked is currently, but for whatever reason, I just can't find my excitement for ranked like I had before it came. I even looked under the couch and my bed. lol

Personally Im just tired of tier 10. Especially since this ranked season came on the heels of clan wars. I got to rank 15 and I am content with stayin there for now. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles

I actually enjoyed this season of Ranked, had a good time and very little nastiness this time around. Even had several really close matches that were total nailbiters. Loads of fun but I did stop around rank 17 (or so, I forget)  because I was just farming rewards I wanted. Didn't see the need for a day of premium time and the temp flag that gives a small bonus. I just wanted the goodies.

I don't own a tier 10 although I could purchase Salem or free xp several ship lines but that seemed a bit pointless since playing tier 10 is about as appealing to me as getting a colostomy.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,712 posts
7,354 battles
1 hour ago, Panic512 said:

Personally Im just tired of tier 10. Especially since this ranked season came on the heels of clan wars. I got to rank 15 and I am content with stayin there for now. 

This. I've basically been playing T10, with a few matches here and there at t7 and under so I don't lose my mind, since the start of CB season 2. Personally, I feel that if CB is T10, then Ranked needs to be T6-8, one of them, all of them, but it needs to be under T10. That's gotten old, very, very fast.

I know that I'm not the only one sick of T10 all the time.

• Cool 1

[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,948 battles

ah, it's good to know there is a flag. someone said how there's far less pressure to get to rank 1. maybe that's the reason. cause with this new steel system, it's sort now a case of "eventually, I'll have enough steel for Black." vs "I need 5 R1s" and I haven't gotten to R1 once. @Optio_Praetorii, thanks for telling the link to the ranked details.

the T10 thing might also have something to do with it as well. the only T10 I truly enjoy playing is Midway and it's hard to get a match with her. the rest is "meh". thanks for the input guys, there are things here that I hadn't considered that have made this season of ranked feel less enjoyable.^^

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I actually enjoyed this season of Ranked, had a good time and very little nastiness this time around. Even had several really close matches that were total nailbiters. Loads of fun but I did stop around rank 17 (or so, I forget)  because I was just farming rewards I wanted. Didn't see the need for a day of premium time and the temp flag that gives a small bonus. I just wanted the goodies.

I don't own a tier 10 although I could purchase Salem or free xp several ship lines but that seemed a bit pointless since playing tier 10 is about as appealing to me as getting a colostomy.

That temporary flag gets replaced with a permanent flag after Ranked Season, the way it is every season.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,305 posts
17,730 battles
55 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That temporary flag gets replaced with a permanent flag after Ranked Season, the way it is every season.

Yeah the vanity one. I am aware. The only thing I need less of than credits is vanity flags, especially ones that have zero meaning to me.

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,574 battles

Having ranked right after clan battles. Burnout.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,093 posts
8,733 battles
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah the vanity one. I am aware. The only thing I need less of than credits is vanity flags, especially ones that have zero meaning to me.

That is true. I use Corgi Fleet Flag a lot because it was something special being a Corgi Captain with SuperNikoPower. 

Also use US Coast Guard a lot on USN ships to honor my late Grandfather’s service in the Coast Guard. Also like using the Irish flag in memory of some family and friends. Other than those I don’t really use much if the others except on certain exceptions.

Main reason I am even wanting to get at least to Rank 10 or even consider going to Rank 1 is for the Doubloons. If a SC with 2800 Doubloons would show up there would be no need for me to bother with Ranked this or any other season until Wargaming lowers the Ranked tier again. I would have enough Doubloons to get myself the Scharnhorst during the Wargaming annual Christmas sales. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

The flag will be neat for my Nueve de Julio, but I'm still steamed about the difficulty WALL presented by this season because I was really wanting to save up some steel to hopefully get the Flint next season. But at this point that's not very likely to happen for at least another two seasons.

[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,948 battles

I've been stuck at rank 12-11 for the past 4 days. unlike last seasons tho, this time I really can't find myself trying as hard. I mean, I'm still trying to win. but I was sorta hoping the steel rewards would be worth more, 300 steel for rank 9 feels pretty unsatisfying (and the effort to get to 10 is really diminishing my already low reserves of "try hard" that is depleted by clan battles). that and without any ability to do this with friends is keeping me from really wanting to play multiple battles in a row, I will say I can't wait for the next season of clan battles, I had much more fun there and even though I didn't earn as much steel there, it was far more enjoyable.

maybe next season they'll allow divisions of 2 or add in more irrevokable ranks to encourage people to keep going. if I could play with a friend, then it'd be more fun just cause I have someone I know in each battle. if the checkpoints were still R10 and there was a new one at R5, I'd probably care way more to climb in ranks. lol

[STW-D]
Members
1,848 posts
5,651 battles

There's also the fact that apparently the servers glitched out and did not record the results of certain games.

[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,948 battles

wow, I didn't know that was an issue either. I hope changes come to ranked, something that'll make them fun and/or more worthwhile. I mean, it's a pretty lame fix, but if they made it so losing stars didn't happen, but you had to earn more per rank, I'd probably play more. the biggest deterrent for me these days with ranks (for the last 3-4 seasons) is knowing when I'm on a 20+ loss streak because of the lost stars. 3 seasons ago, I was 1 star short of rank 5, then I fell all the way down to rank 8. 22 losses in a row. after one hellishly unenjoyable week and change, I got back all the stars, only to lose them again in two days on a 23 game losing streak. last two seasons I just stopped at R5, and this season seems like it'll be stopping at R12. a very big reason for that is because I want to rank lower next season so I can use my Enterprise, Massachusetts, and Kidd.

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
615 posts
7,709 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 9:05 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

That is true. I use Corgi Fleet Flag a lot because it was something special being a Corgi Captain with SuperNikoPower. 

Also use US Coast Guard a lot on USN ships to honor my late Grandfather’s service in the Coast Guard. Also like using the Irish flag in memory of some family and friends. Other than those I don’t really use much if the others except on certain exceptions.

Main reason I am even wanting to get at least to Rank 10 or even consider going to Rank 1 is for the Doubloons. If a SC with 2800 Doubloons would show up there would be no need for me to bother with Ranked this or any other season until Wargaming lowers the Ranked tier again. I would have enough Doubloons to get myself the Scharnhorst during the Wargaming annual Christmas sales. 

Agreed.  Granted, I do like the variety so there is something for everyone, you can really make your ship stand out in replays, etc.  I just wish there was an option to hide them...or at least pop up in the same order on every ship lol.  It seems like they just randomly sort every time you go to that screen and every time I think I've lost a flag, never fails.

I mainly fly the CBT flag and/or the Corgi Flag, was so happy for that ONE match where a Corgi didn't spawn right next to me on my team, and I got to sink it. Plus, it's awesome.  For the French I use the Lion Rampant DeGrasse flag, and Germans I use the Wilhelmshaven flag from ranked a few seasons back.  I also use the Beta Weekend flag to change things up.

I didn't get to play as much the last ranked reason or the one before, nor having much luck with it, and missed out on the Brooklyn Navy Yard flag - would have been a nice for the US cruisers I'm getting back into.