Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Supercell_Kid

3D Modelling A Warship

3 comments in this topic

[JCMNR]
Members
136 posts
12,246 battles

Hello fellow captains.

This post is seeking the advice and guidance of other 3D Modellers and sculptors. Maybe even from the WG Dev team (if ur not too busy :)) Even though I am mainly speaking to those people. I will add some extra information for those who may be reading this and have no idea what we are talking about.

So, I am into 3D Modelling (On a hobby level) I mostly use Cinema 4D (C4D). C4D is similar to other programs for 3D Modeling such as Maya, 3D Studio Max (3DS), Blender (New Free Open Source).

I'm getting pretty good these days. I've learned all about modelling from Primitives, and have even undertaken a few larger projects like making a perfect Scale Representation of a Radio Controlled car that I used to Race. An Intech BR-5 Evo Pro. Here is a couple of Pictures.

The Real Car

Spoiler

in3230611.jpg.39beacab3774d1c9eb537b69f6b1f2d5.jpg

and the 3D Replica.

Spoiler

everyting-together-with-camera-for-preview_0001_Camera_abright-contrast.jpg.aea6bb60ab1644af3930cf098000c988.jpg

everyting-together-with-camera-for-preview_0015.jpg.6515ea12cd2de79ce31a7d146313ca94.jpg

everyting-together-with-camera-for-preview_0017.jpg.5b783029627f88aa116b8a83ca90bddd.jpg

everyting-together-with-camera-for-preview_0029.jpg.ef428f0a72b42f53b790eaa0429173c0.jpg

buggy020b.jpg.0e0d288156833c58944783d45e785ac9.jpg

a0257.jpg.03270456eccf4d1fc498465b3bc02f54.jpg

Here is some video of the finished car. Actually, i think in this video its "Almost" finished:

I also Modelled (To Scale) Our Clubs Race Track. I did want to try and make it so I could actually play with models like a game. but at that stage, I did not understand the whole other set of skills you would need to do modelling for gaming. The above models are totally unsuitable for gaming. you may even be wondering why my pictures look so much better and more realistic than anything you would find in a game?!?!? Well, one reason for that is the detail. In particular the number of polygons. I used well over a million polygons in the buggy model. Same thing with the track. A computer games' Frames must be rendered in just a couple of milliseconds. The models above can take up to 24 hours to render a single frame. in fact, if I wanted to, I could Ramp up the settings and have that thing take over a week to render a single frame. The Animated video of the buggy rotating in place took over 10 days of non-stop around the clock rendering by two separate computers. This is why Ray Tracing is about to become the next big thing in gaming. It will add a whole another layer of realism. So, In game modelling, the models must have a low number of polygons in order to render quickly. How game developers get everything to look so good is not done with using lots of polygons, but rather how they texture the model, how that paint the model with shading and similar. On top of that, a whole host of lighting techniques and tricks. This takes an amazing amount of skill and talent that will take years to develop. I did try to game with these models. I can actually export my models into Unity 3D (A playground or sandbox if you like for developing and deploying games in a structured, community supported way) I'm still learning Unity. Anyway, I am getting off topic a little.

In the very last Still picture you can see there is a cover or body on the car. Well, that was the one and only part I could not Model. In fact, I was left with advice from other modellers that I would have to use a different technique to recreate that piece. That technique is called Sculpting. In C4D Sculpting is completely different from Modelling and requires a whole new set of skills. Well, I'm still learning those skills and I'm not completely convinced that it can not be done with regular modelling.  This is also where I am getting stuck with Ship Modeling. The body of the car has smooth, flowing, curvy lines. Not Perfectly square or cylindrical lines. Things like that are easy to model. but, things with organic lines, that curve and change direction are far more difficult to model.

While I can find videos and tutorials on modelling a simple boat, these do not give me the skills and techniques I need to model the Hull of a warship like Yamato or Montanna etc. I was able to find plan drawings of many different WWII Ships, but I was still unable to figure out how this might be done.

So, I am really hoping to hear back from ANYONE who has successfully modelled the Hull of a WWII Warship from drawings. Preferably someone familiar with C4D, but doesn't have to be. The language is all more or less translatable.

I already understand how to make things from photos and drawings. The problem I face with a Battleship Hull is where to start, where to go after that, do I do it in 20 pieces. or just one. Do I only model one side, the make a mirrored version and then join them. In fact, knowing this industry/hobby there are probably several ways to go about it. Anyway, please help and thanks in advance if you do decide to help :D THANK YOU!!!!

I am so desperate to learn this part of modelling that I will even pay you $20 via pay pal or bitcoin to spend a half hour to an hour guiding me through this. I am on disability ATM so it's about all I can afford.

Thank you so much and Good Luck and Fair Seas!

everyting-together-with-camera-for-preview_0019_i1.jpg

Edited by Supercell_Kid

Members
280 posts
5,022 battles

" Blender (New Free Open Source) "

Blender has been around for quite a while, actually! I've been using it since at least ~2010 and the web says it's existed since 1998.

This is why Ray Tracing is about to become the next big thing in gaming. It will add a whole another layer of realism.

A good fair bit of game development is making hacky solutions to otherwise straightforward problems. Getting the best result for the least amount of performance impact is what makes a good solution.

How game developers get everything to look so good is not done with using lots of polygons, but rather how they texture the model, how that paint the model with shading and similar. On top of that, a whole host of lighting techniques and tricks.

If you aren't familiar with the following, find some tutorials on them.
https://www.reallusion.com/iclone/help/iclone3/15_multiple_channel_texture_mapping/types_of_maps.htm

Different map types allow a much greater depth of detail for the same amount of polygonal space. It looks like you hand modeled all of those tire nubs. Having proper mapping types would have cut down your polycount from well over a million to possibly a few thousand or less. Take a look at the WoWs models on the wikipedia page and see how little detail is actually on them. Go do this now.

As for modeling large ships, think of how each piece goes together to form a larger structure. Outer hull can be one piece, make use of your mirroring tools as much as you can, ships are rarely asymmetrical. Construct reusable pieces. Worry more about the rough design first and then fine tune it later on as you go, 3d is easy to manipulate. Use existing models to build off of. Models only need to be seen from one surface so don't worry about actually building an interior or parts that aren't going to be seen. I probably missed a ton of things so let me know if you have any questions that I didn't answer or didn't see.

I tried modeling something that I was hoping for in WoWs (Royal Navy Destroyers) ((this was before the gadjah)) This is by no means fantastic but for someone with zero training, I'd say it's passable.

image.thumb.png.0b51dcfc99e6f359e106915160a1127e.png

From the following image:
image.png.86c961492a298731dbcf32a3738610e2.png

See some more of my varying garbage models here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1240399670

[JCMNR]
Members
136 posts
12,246 battles

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your knowledge as well as your corrections.

I can see that I will need to be more specific about the information I am looking for.

The wheels and tires were easy. take less than 5 mins. I actually made a video for you showing how fast I can do it. But my Video editor is broken, and i have no way to speed it up into a timelapse. I need to format my PC and re-install everything :(

Anyway, for now, Ill get started on my Montanna project and ill post back here soon. Thanks again :)

Edited by Supercell_Kid

Sign in to follow this