Lord_Slayer

Sailboat crashes into USS Midway

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
161 posts
3,485 battles

Oh silly sailboat.  Probably didn't get credit for ramming.  I can't tell if she was flying the correct signal.

• Funny 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
416 posts
12,635 battles

This report didn't say if the Midway captain got a 2 game penalty for team damage.

• Funny 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,689 battles

As someone who sails myself.... there's really no excuse for this unless there was a major mechanical failure on the boat or there was a storm. I mean, it's kinda common sense that larger vessels have right of way in channels, and even more so that a stationary ship in an anchorage has right of way over a moving vessel :P

• Funny 1

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
19 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

As someone who sails myself.... there's really no excuse for this unless there was a major mechanical failure on the boat or there was a storm. I mean, it's kinda common sense that larger vessels have right of way in channels, and even more so that a stationary ship in an anchorage has right of way over a moving vessel :P

If this is a reference to the collision of the USS John S. McCain, then too soon.

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,689 battles
6 minutes ago, Sventex said:

If this is a reference to the collision of the USS John S. McCain, then too soon.

It was not.

[POP]
Members
839 posts
9,479 battles
47 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

This report didn't say if the Midway captain got a 2 game penalty for team damage.

lol

[POP]
Members
1,153 posts
14,743 battles

This is how games are lost when the wrong kind of ship tries to provide a AA bubble for your CV, that ship should been spotting for the fleet  or providing a anti DD screen for the heavy ships to advance.

Potato player go back to Coop and learn game mechanics. 

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Supertester
914 posts
17,972 battles

Was alcohol involved?   As a retired USCG maritime accident investigator, the first thing we do after an accident like this?  Breathalyzer test.

Edited by BaronVonTom

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
1 minute ago, Murotsu said:

The Midway museum is suing over the scratched paint... :Smile_facepalm:

Honestly makes me think of the scene from Caddyshack - "Hey, you scratched my anchor" -cut to sail boat taking on water-

[JFSOC]
Members
909 posts
2,611 battles
37 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Honestly makes me think of the scene from Caddyshack - "Hey, you scratched my anchor" -cut to sail boat taking on water-

You mean this insanity...

Sort of like a Tier 2 in a Tier 10 battle... :Smile_medal:

Edited by Murotsu

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
12 hours ago, Murotsu said:

You mean this insanity...

Sort of like a Tier 2 in a Tier 10 battle... :Smile_medal:

Pretty much as far as the whole them suing the smaller boats owner. Though it also fits now that I think of it almost as one of those old "In Soviet Russia" jokes - "In Soviet Russia, small sail boat rams you". 

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
509 battles

Sailing is an art and science.  There are few methods of traveling on water that require as much attention to detail as traveling under sail.  That being said, a stationary vessel is  not going to  be considered as at fault, it goes to the vessel making headway.  One is also tempted to ask why the sail powered vessel didn't maintain sufficient standoff space.  You should never get that close to another vessel without a very good reason when underway.  Either the sailboat captain lost control of the vessel or it is a case of gross negligence.

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,689 battles
2 hours ago, MM2ss said:

Sailing is an art and science.  There are few methods of traveling on water that require as much attention to detail as traveling under sail.  That being said, a stationary vessel is  not going to  be considered as at fault, it goes to the vessel making headway.  One is also tempted to ask why the sail powered vessel didn't maintain sufficient standoff space.  You should never get that close to another vessel without a very good reason when underway.  Either the sailboat captain lost control of the vessel or it is a case of gross negligence.

Exactly.