You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Levits

Consistency of TeamKill Penalty

10 comments in this topic

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,558 battles

Back when the rework was done, WG drastically reduced the requirements of team damage in order to be flagged for a penalty. Now, this isn't to discuss who's at fault or any of that drama. What I'm curious about is the constancy or exactly what you have to do in order to get pinked for team damage.

Now, once before, I was given pink status right after the rework because 2 of my torps dealt 8,000 damage to a allied BB Sharn. They did not destroy it, the damage dealt didn't count for even a 1/4 of its health nor did it result in it being destroyed. This was a good amount of time ago and I've been teamkill free for a while. But this last match of mine in my Dallas I was flagged again.

This time, 35pts of damage for ramming a New Orleans while we were both in maneuvers to evade some enemy BB's and that was all well and good. We came out of the maneuver at the exact same time and were in close proximity.

When a DD appeared, we both fired. My rear guns scored 5 hits to the New Orleans dealing precisely 3,630 damage. No fires, just direct HE damage. Did not kill him nor did it take any majority amount of HP off of what he had. He proceeded to finish off the DD but took one torp and was still around for a good amount of time afterwards but ultimately died later on. I was pinked sometime after hitting him but can't recall if I was pinked immediately when I hit him; too focused to notice.

So the question is, what's the deal?

Was it the combination of actions? Ramming/getting rammed by a ally and then, within the span a minute (or some other disclosed amount of time), I just need to make sure I don't hit them with artillery?

Was it the number of rounds hitting the ally? Total of 5 sets it off?

Was it the amount of damage dealt and/or was it based on the ships total HP, amount left, or just overall total damage dealt for that one instance?

Totally my fault, I could have held my fire, but I'm curious what the results (experiences) are of others and just what got me turned pink so that I can avoid that later on.

I've had a few instances where I've shelled friendlies by accident and though I can't say that the concentration of those shells was as direct as this previous game I know I've dealt that kind of damage before (or darn near close to it), but I've not turned pink from it. I've even seen a ally ship being rammed (aka pushed) into oncoming enemy fire and THAT ally gets turned pink for being pushed by another ship. Just wondering what the consistency is or if there is any RNG thrown into the mix for WG's entertainment. They don't want players to "abuse" the system, but from what I've seen there's not much difference (or leeway) between intentional or accidental friendly fire.

Total conclusion so far for turning pink:

2 torps and/or 8,000 damage worth of TP damage.

5 shells and/or 3,630 damage worth of HE damage (concentrated). >>> potential requirement: within the span of 1 minute after 35 pts of Damage from Ramming.

1 shell that starts a fire. (<<<needs clarification. Another previous reason for being turned pink before the fix).

Ramming a teammate up to an undisclosed amount of time/damage (<<<needs clarification. Watched it happen but I am not sure what lead up to the event).

[5D]
Members
2,211 posts
13,959 battles

First it was not a team kill penalty, it was a team damage penalty because you could go pink after a certain amount was reached of damage over a number of games and/or if you killed a teammate.

Under the new system it's an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for team damage or leaving a game early before you die whether on purpose or via disconnect.

The amount of damage needed to go pink was significantly lowered so what you are describing is in-line with what I've seen since the change.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

Yes, WG nerfed the amount of team damage(what is "excessive team damage" has been lowered significantly) required to turn pink by a considerable amount, bringing it well within the range that an average small accident with gunfire, let alone torpedoes, might cause. Before, it was either a team kill(no matter how much damage) or around about 45%-50% of an allied player's health. Now, it is a teamkill(same as before, regardless of how little damage was actually inflicted) or around 15%-20%(this is an educated guess) of an allied player's health.

It was intended, I do believe,(in conjunction with Orange Status) to better prevent/catch griefing, but in my experience, it has caused much more grief than any griefer(relatively rare these days) would cause.

Edited by legoboy0401
  • Bad 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,414 battles

@Levits As stated above it is now an unsporting action penalty for occasional incidents even if you sink an ally. Persistent occurrences get you an orange status and confine you to co op until you learn your lesson. There is no need to worry about what triggers it unless of course you planning on finding a way to game the system.

Be happy the old system was replaced with this since it brought 3, 7, 14 day suspensions and finally a perma ban!  

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Levits As stated above it is now an unsporting action penalty for occasional incidents even if you sink an ally. Persistent occurrences get you a brown status and confine you to co op until you learn your lesson. There is no need to worry about what triggers it unless of course you planning on finding a way to game the system.

Be happy the old system was replaced with this since it brought 3, 7, 14 day suspensions and finally a perma ban!  

Orange, not Brown.

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

What? It's not a general rule that it's a bad change, only that I seem to find more people upset about it than I ever did before. 

Goodness, there's no need for downvoting. It's not like I mentioned removing team damage or anything, I just mentioned that they changed it, and that in my experience(probably ONLY mine) I tend to see more people angry/flustered that they are getting punished (for a relatively minor accident, in their mind) than I did back in the days before it.

Make no mistake, I want griefers punished,  but does anyone really see them that often?

Edited by legoboy0401

[PVE]
Members
8,834 posts
7,257 battles
1 hour ago, Levits said:

Back when the rework was done, WG drastically reduced the requirements of team damage in order to be flagged for a penalty. Now, this isn't to discuss who's at fault or any of that drama. What I'm curious about is the constancy or exactly what you have to do in order to get pinked for team damage.

Now, once before, I was given pink status right after the rework because 2 of my torps dealt 8,000 damage to a allied BB Sharn. They did not destroy it, the damage dealt didn't count for even a 1/4 of its health nor did it result in it being destroyed. This was a good amount of time ago and I've been teamkill free for a while. But this last match of mine in my Dallas I was flagged again.

This time, 35pts of damage for ramming a New Orleans while we were both in maneuvers to evade some enemy BB's and that was all well and good. We came out of the maneuver at the exact same time and were in close proximity.

When a DD appeared, we both fired. My rear guns scored 5 hits to the New Orleans dealing precisely 3,630 damage. No fires, just direct HE damage. Did not kill him nor did it take any majority amount of HP off of what he had. He proceeded to finish off the DD but took one torp and was still around for a good amount of time afterwards but ultimately died later on. I was pinked sometime after hitting him but can't recall if I was pinked immediately when I hit him; too focused to notice.

So the question is, what's the deal?

Was it the combination of actions? Ramming/getting rammed by a ally and then, within the span a minute (or some other disclosed amount of time), I just need to make sure I don't hit them with artillery?

Was it the number of rounds hitting the ally? Total of 5 sets it off?

Was it the amount of damage dealt and/or was it based on the ships total HP, amount left, or just overall total damage dealt for that one instance?

Totally my fault, I could have held my fire, but I'm curious what the results (experiences) are of others and just what got me turned pink so that I can avoid that later on.

I've had a few instances where I've shelled friendlies by accident and though I can't say that the concentration of those shells was as direct as this previous game I know I've dealt that kind of damage before (or darn near close to it), but I've not turned pink from it. I've even seen a ally ship being rammed (aka pushed) into oncoming enemy fire and THAT ally gets turned pink for being pushed by another ship. Just wondering what the consistency is or if there is any RNG thrown into the mix for WG's entertainment. They don't want players to "abuse" the system, but from what I've seen there's not much difference (or leeway) between intentional or accidental friendly fire.

Total conclusion so far for turning pink:

2 torps and/or 8,000 damage worth of TP damage.

5 shells and/or 3,630 damage worth of HE damage (concentrated). >>> potential requirement: within the span of 1 minute after 35 pts of Damage from Ramming.

1 shell that starts a fire. (<<<needs clarification. Another previous reason for being turned pink before the fix).

Ramming a teammate up to an undisclosed amount of time/damage (<<<needs clarification. Watched it happen but I am not sure what lead up to the event).

It appears to be right around 10% damage on a friendly in my experience. So vs a DD, you don't have to plink them too hard to get pinked, trust me on this, I have done it. Vs a BB, you can do more damage before you hit 10%.

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts
32 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

What? It's not a general rule that it's a bad change, only that I seem to find more people upset about it than I ever did before. 

Goodness, there's no need for downvoting. It's not like I mentioned removing team damage or anything, I just mentioned that they changed it, and that in my experience(probably ONLY mine) I tend to see more people angry/flustered that they are getting punished (for a relatively minor accident, in their mind) than I did back in the days before it.

Make no mistake, I want griefers punished,  but does anyone really see them that often?

Most complain that they are pink and believe it is punishment when it is merely a warning.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
341 posts
6,558 battles

Ok, terminology aside, the primary question was to narrow down just what sets it off (thanks for the responses regardless). Or heck, make it a competition just to see just how low you can go. I know it's not specifically teamkill and all that. Not even concerned about being pink. Never thought much of it to begin with. Just wondered if the thing has a set trigger or something that varies from ship to ship.

10% seems like a likely candidate.

8k to Sharn's 56k and 3,600 to New Orleans 29,000. So I was right on the edge of that. 4 rounds would have been ok. 5, not so much.

But I swear I've seen a DD eat a torp from a friendly. He did not die and the guy who torped him didn't get pink'd... then again, I might be wrong on that. It's been a while since I've taken the time to notice such a event.

And I can't imagine that the ship that was pink'd for being pushed by another one racked up enough damage to turn pink just from that. Again, he may have fire a few rounds into the guy pushing him and I simply didn't witness it.

Edited by Levits

[PVE]
Members
8,834 posts
7,257 battles
Just now, Levits said:

Ok, terminology aside, the primary question was to narrow down just what sets it off. Or heck, make it a competition just to see just how low you can go. I know it's not specifically teamkill and all that. Not even concerned about being pink. Never thought much of it to begin with. Just wondered if the thing has a set trigger or something that varies from ship to ship.

10% seems like a likely candidate.

8k to Sharn's 56k and 3,600 to New Orleans 29,000. So I was right on the edge of that. 4 rounds would have been ok. 5, not so much.

But I swear I've seen a DD eat a torp from a friendly. He did not die and the guy who torped him didn't get pink'd... then again, I might be wrong on that. It's been a while since I've taken the time to notice such a event.

And I can't imagine that the ship that was pink'd for being pushed by another one racked up enough damage to turn pink just from that. Again, he may have fire a few rounds into the guy pushing him and I simply didn't witness it.

In my experience, it is 10% damage to the friendly ship. So a 10,000 HP DD, you only have to do 1,001 damage to go pink. If you hit a 75,000 HP BB for 7,501, you are going pink.

• Cool 1