Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

T-61??? Help.

24 comments in this topic

Members
4,457 posts
6,172 battles

I am NOT a steely eyed DD man. Very little time in DD's.  Lost my mind today and got T-61. Any pointers from those who have her and what do you think of her?  I have looked at another thread on her but I am sure some have several games in her now and may have additional advice. I have been on a hot streak for over 30 matches in my cruisers and Scharn.....UNICORN numbers.  This can't last as I am quite average (48%) but I am now ready to DD and maybe I can keep my win rate moving up.  Maybe.  Just don't want to hold back my team and be a tater in her. Advice appreciated! Tks

[WOLF6]
Members
1,811 posts
4,827 battles

Concealment and torps are key. Guns are average. Use them from smoke, always with hydro on. 

Dont always trust the aim helper on torps. Look at the ship you’re targeting. Where do you think they are going? Are they coming out of a turn? They will accelerate. Will they nose in to face other BBs? They will slow. 

Shoot torps from the closest range you can stand. 

Learn radar ships at T7-8. 

No cap is worth your life. If you do try to cap, expect to have to leave. Plan your escape. 

Never count on team mates for support if you haven’t gotten it before hand. 

That’s some of it. Hope it helps. 

• Cool 6

[TBW]
Members
6,349 posts
11,894 battles

I still haven't played her yet, she seems pretty well rounded. Good Luck Sir.

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,345 battles

A good ship. Read LWM's review indicated above.

Once you understand how to German DD you may want to spend some coal and buy a hydro-extender module. Works well in all German DDs (plus Lo Yang).

[SIDE]
Members
1,205 posts
8,657 battles
10 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

A good ship. Read LWM's review indicated above.

Once you understand how to German DD you may want to spend some coal and buy a hydro-extender module. Works well in all German DDs (plus Lo Yang).

Not at my pc, but thought those mods were T8+ only. As in, cannot use on T-61.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,811 posts
4,827 battles
2 hours ago, _Rumple_ said:

Not at my pc, but thought those mods were T8+ only. As in, cannot use on T-61.

No, T6 and above. I have it on my T-61 and Z-39 both.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,811 posts
4,827 battles
4 hours ago, dmckay said:

I am NOT a steely eyed DD man. Very little time in DD's.  Lost my mind today and got T-61. Any pointers from those who have her and what do you think of her?  I have looked at another thread on her but I am sure some have several games in her now and may have additional advice. I have been on a hot streak for over 30 matches in my cruisers and Scharn.....UNICORN numbers.  This can't last as I am quite average (48%) but I am now ready to DD and maybe I can keep my win rate moving up.  Maybe.  Just don't want to hold back my team and be a tater in her. Advice appreciated! Tks

I will say this, also: There are some excellent premium DDs that are always available, or frequently are: Sims, Lo Yang, Anshan, Blyskawicka, Kidd...all of them have strengths and weaknesses, and playing a lot of ships with a lot of different limitations and capabilities really makes you grow. True of all ships, more so for DDs, in my opinion.

T-61 is in a great spot. T6 isn't over run with radar, not a popular stop for seal clubbers, and you can still make some good credits. It's an very forgiving ship at a great tier. 

I'd recommend reviewing your replays, good and bad, and be critical of what you did, when you did it, why you did it and how it turned out.

Good luck!

Members
4,457 posts
6,172 battles
17 minutes ago, Thornir said:

I will say this, also: There are some excellent premium DDs that are always available, or frequently are: Sims, Lo Yang, Anshan, Blyskawicka, Kidd...all of them have strengths and weaknesses, and playing a lot of ships with a lot of different limitations and capabilities really makes you grow. True of all ships, more so for DDs, in my opinion.

T-61 is in a great spot. T6 isn't over run with radar, not a popular stop for seal clubbers, and you can still make some good credits. It's an very forgiving ship at a great tier. 

I'd recommend reviewing your replays, good and bad, and be critical of what you did, when you did it, why you did it and how it turned out.

Good luck!

tks  That is why I bought her. She looks ok in her niche. T6. Looks like I can play this thing.  We shall see. 

Just won in random.  My first random with her. :Smile_izmena:

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,811 posts
4,827 battles

Since we'd been talking about it, I took it out. Fun battle, very T-61 - like. killed two DDs with one torp salvo. :Smile_teethhappy:

T-61 2 DDs one salvo.png

• Cool 1

Members
4,457 posts
6,172 battles
5 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Since we'd been talking about it, I took it out. Fun battle, very T-61 - like. killed two DDs with one torp salvo. :Smile_teethhappy:

T-61 2 DDs one salvo.png

Nice. U will get even better., Hope I can.:Smile_honoring:

[FATE]
Members
29 posts
5,936 battles

She's a torp boat.  Play it more like you would an IJN, don't let the 4x1 127mm fool you.  They are marginally effective, but you aren't going to win any gunfights spamming HE like a US DD.  If you can get the broadside of another DD, the AP is surprisingly effective.

Torp reload is insanely good for tier.  Concealment expert is a must.  Always have your hydro up if you are smoked up and shooting.  Should you see another DD smoked up, get close to his smoke, pop hydro, and torp/gun him down.  He can't see you unless he leaves his smoke, and with proper positioning, you remain unspotted if no one else is in range.  Great way to steal a US or PA smoke, which is much better than the short duration German ones.

Just remember, scout and torp.  Push caps only if you have your hydro and smoke available.  Guns are ok if you only need to do 2-3k to finish off a BB or cruiser, otherwise, let the torps do the work.

Members
3,643 posts
13,487 battles

T-61 is a damn good torpedo boat but she's no gunslinger. IMHO, her guns are marginal. Get the Captain skill "Torpedo Armament Expertise" and you'll reduce torp reload to 61.2 seconds. :Smile_great:

Don't linger in a smoke cloud for more that a few seconds, it's a torpedo magnet. With my DDs and RN CLs I mostly use smoke to break contact when I'm being focused on or to conceal me until I can get moving again after stupidly running aground.

Take note of any Radar botes on the Red team and stay out of any caps until you know where it is. You will sometimes encounter radar botes even while driving a tier 6 DD.

[RED2]
Members
83 posts
6,417 battles

The strength of t61 is that she is an incredible torpedo boat but also competitive (but far from dominant) gun boat. 

The torps are fairly self explanatory when using them against larger boats. Dump them where you think the enemy will be heading and repeat a minute later if circumstances allow. Use them chase ships out of smoke (unless you can ambush them in the smoke with hydro) and to force the enemy to spend time dodging during a gun duel. 

When gun dueling, the hydro (like with most other german DDs) is her most important trait. While you may not be able out trade other destroyers in a strait fight, use of smoke and the hydro to stealth fire on enemies can give you a big enough lead to come out the victor. Like every destroyer,  it really helps to have friendly support, and to lure the enemy away from their's.

Members
4,457 posts
6,172 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 3:00 AM, Paul_Revere735 said:

She's a torp boat.  Play it more like you would an IJN, don't let the 4x1 127mm fool you.  They are marginally effective, but you aren't going to win any gunfights spamming HE like a US DD.  If you can get the broadside of another DD, the AP is surprisingly effective.

Torp reload is insanely good for tier.  Concealment expert is a must.  Always have your hydro up if you are smoked up and shooting.  Should you see another DD smoked up, get close to his smoke, pop hydro, and torp/gun him down.  He can't see you unless he leaves his smoke, and with proper positioning, you remain unspotted if no one else is in range.  Great way to steal a US or PA smoke, which is much better than the short duration German ones.

Just remember, scout and torp.  Push caps only if you have your hydro and smoke available.  Guns are ok if you only need to do 2-3k to finish off a BB or cruiser, otherwise, let the torps do the work.

Since the HE is only 1500 damage max and AP is 3000 (not too bad) seems to me it might be best to shoot mainly AP. You think? 

Members
4,457 posts
6,172 battles
9 hours ago, Chimera2 said:

The strength of t61 is that she is an incredible torpedo boat but also competitive (but far from dominant) gun boat. 

The torps are fairly self explanatory when using them against larger boats. Dump them where you think the enemy will be heading and repeat a minute later if circumstances allow. Use them chase ships out of smoke (unless you can ambush them in the smoke with hydro) and to force the enemy to spend time dodging during a gun duel. 

When gun dueling, the hydro (like with most other german DDs) is her most important trait. While you may not be able out trade other destroyers in a strait fight, use of smoke and the hydro to stealth fire on enemies can give you a big enough lead to come out the victor. Like every destroyer,  it really helps to have friendly support, and to lure the enemy away from their's.

Tks

[FATE]
Members
29 posts
5,936 battles
6 hours ago, dmckay said:

Since the HE is only 1500 damage max and AP is 3000 (not too bad) seems to me it might be best to shoot mainly AP. You think? 

If you can get a flat broadside yes, the AP is very effective.  Once they start angling a little, then it's just going to bounce.

Members
4,457 posts
6,172 battles
4 hours ago, Paul_Revere735 said:

If you can get a flat broadside yes, the AP is very effective.  Once they start angling a little, then it's just going to bounce.

OK..But that depends a lot on what the heck u are shooting at...seems to me.  BB..NO.  Cruisers..yes...some.   DD..YA! ....easily pens  DDs. 3000 AP hitting another DD taint bad. IMO

[FATE]
Members
29 posts
5,936 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

OK..But that depends a lot on what the heck u are shooting at...seems to me.  BB..NO.  Cruisers..yes...some.   DD..YA! ....easily pens  DDs. 3000 AP hitting another DD taint bad. IMO

Yes and no.  You are assuming you are getting penetrations against a DD.  If you're over penning, you are only hitting for 330 per shell, which isn't much different than your HE is doing.  DDs can angle and make your AP richochet in the time it takes you to reload.

Myself, I stick to HE on battleships until I have a fire or 2, then if they are mostly broadside I'll swap to AP on the superstructure.  Cruisers I stick to HE unless it's fully broadside and really squishy, as there are no heals so any fire damage you do is going to stick.  Against DDs I go to AP if they are mindlessly broadsiding and shooting back, but typically just use HE for the added fire/module damage.

It is nice when you get a couple pens with your AP, but with the great penetration and meh pen angles you get with KM AP, it's usually either an over pen or a richochet, in my experience.

Edited by Paul_Revere735

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,106 posts
11,845 battles

Really a great premium for learning how to DD, especially the torping skills.  The guns are descent enough to learn DD gunnery.  You probably have enough WOWS game experience in general to play this ship....though you should probably go up the IJN DD line to get more torpedo and concealment  practice at the lower tiers.  Myself I didn't get into DDs until after I had tier 10 BBs and cruisers, so DDs were still pretty challenging, especially torping from concealment....still to this day I'm somewhat lacking in this area myself which is why I also picked up a T-61.

Edited by BarbedWireRat

Members
1,664 posts
9,730 battles

Take a look at my youtube.  I have a play list for each nation for a lot of the ships.  I do have T-61, but have not done a commentary on her at this time, I do have a German DD play list going over the unique play style of them.  I've just been too busy with the clan, training for our members, and putting out content.

I will try to get a T-61 video up for you in the next few days.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[WOLF6]
Members
1,811 posts
4,827 battles

You aren't going to pen a BB at the belt, no. But you CAN pen it above the belt, and the superstructure. Gives awesome damage.

T-61 1st battle A.png

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts
On 8/27/2018 at 3:57 PM, Thornir said:

Concealment and torps are key. Guns are average. Use them from smoke, always with hydro on. 

Dont always trust the aim helper on torps. Look at the ship you’re targeting. Where do you think they are going? Are they coming out of a turn? They will accelerate. Will they nose in to face other BBs? They will slow. 

Shoot torps from the closest range you can stand. 

Learn radar ships at T7-8. 

No cap is worth your life. If you do try to cap, expect to have to leave. Plan your escape. 

Never count on team mates for support if you haven’t gotten it before hand. 

That’s some of it. Hope it helps. 

I would defer to Thornirs very sound advice on this. Only thing I want to reiterate is focusing on boats strengths and amplifying them. It can spam torps if you get reload skill and the hydro is extremely useful so boost your consumable reloads if you can. The handling is decent as is its speed. Concealment is not great but very important so i’d get CE. I wouldn’t spend very many points on the gunnery. 

As far as radar awareness and team choas, Thornir is spot on.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

T-61 was called OP and it really kinda is. Even playing intoxicated, I get at worst an average game. You have to go out of your way to screw up in this ship.

Sign in to follow this