You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Coachin

Sea of Fortune (Ranked)- what is the correct opening play for dd's on this map?

11 comments in this topic

[SEC_8]
Members
135 posts
3,043 battles

Oh I dread this map!  The image of the map is below.  The two overlapping caps (A & B) and then C off by itself.

What is the smart dd opening play on this map?  I have seen dd's go hide behind the islands in the A cap, I have seen dd's contest C...  

My personal take is to hang about 9 km away from the center of C and wait until the radar boats are accounted for- but sometimes the other dd gets A and they have the advantage...  Is there any set formula that the higher ranked clans used during clan battles?  Thanks!

sea of fortune.jpg

Edited by Torpin

[SUCIT]
Members
783 posts
3,503 battles

What you do greatly depends on your team, and the enemy team. 

If neither team is too radar heavy, I'll generally swing into A, without touching B, then slowly back into B.  I do this so if I get spotted I have the ability to escape quickly, while baiting their DD into my team.  

If it is a very radar heavy team, I normally just bait out the radar by either barely touching the cap, or swinging to the far side of A.  I can bait the radar while taking a little amount of damage in return, but generally gives me a good position later in the game.  

If your team isn't supporting A/B at all, wrap wide of A and try to harass the reds while keeping them off of A.  I don't normally touch the cap while doing this.  

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,350 posts
11,894 battles

It's never been the same exact thing, the strategy develops as each battle progresses. The A/B cap is an advantage of course.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PNG]
Supertester
5,657 posts
6,455 battles

Based on my experience as an observer in these games:

1. Drive perilously close to mid line.

2. Get radared.

3. Get blown to bits while retreating.

4. Blame the team for not supporting you.

How’d I do? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Members
424 posts
18,351 battles

First tip: DO NOT charge in and get sunk the first 2 minutes of the game. Wait for your cruisers to get into position to back you.  It does not help your team at all to have you dead in the first 2 minutes, typing, telling everyone else what to do for the next 15. So no YOLO!

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles
43 minutes ago, Torpin said:

Oh I dread this map!  The image of the map is below.  The two overlapping caps (A & B) and then C off by itself.

What is the smart dd opening play on this map?  I have seen dd's go hide behind the islands in the A cap, I have seen dd's contest C...  

My personal take is to hang about 9 km away from the center of C and wait until the radar boats are accounted for- but sometimes the other dd gets A and they have the advantage...  Is there any set formula that the higher ranked clans used during clan battles?  Thanks!

sea of fortune.jpg

LOL geez that map!  Yes, be careful there with DDs, this is Radar Cruiser Heaven.  Tons of my best Des Moines games have been on this map.  Don't account for the Radar Cruisers before committing your DD into a cap, you're going to die.

Radar Cruiser positions that influence the caps the most:

qqDG5B7.jpg

Where the Radar Cruiser goes, especially for those side positions, is dependent on what direction the team is going.  Radar Cruisers don't like being in a weak flank as it leaves them very susceptible to being exposed to flanking maneuvers.  Radar Cruisers want security and they can only get that with being part of a group.  That middle area is a kill zone early on.  Lots of spots a Radar Cruiser can approach and cover the caps with Radar, Hydro.

If the opposing team is heavily focused for those middle 2 caps, chances are the Radar Cruisers are not in the east and should be a very easy cap for your DD. 

There's a lot of nasty spots for a Radar Cruiser here and if the teams are not aggressive to flush each other out, then the Radar Cruisers will be rather safe.  Some ways to flush them out is being off to side to attack them and get them to move away (flank and torp), or some strong push that if the Radar Cruiser stays, it will get overrun and caught.  Most BBs, other regular Cruisers just standing off north / south of the caps will have big problems to even fire at Radar Cruisers in those spots I've shown.  Of course, another way to dislodge the Radar Cruiser is to simply kill the other enemy ships in the area, weakening the hold over there, and makes the defensive position for the Radar Cruiser even riskier.  A DM may have a supreme spot to cover all the caps here, where most ships won't even have a shot at him, but if the other ships are dying in his area, he can't stay there unless he wants to get cut off and overrun.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

My best success on this map came from charging my NC into AB and shooting it out, the rest of the team followed and focus fired and we won handily. The other times I have tried that my team sniped from 4-5 gridsquares away and we lost as the opposing team took us out. 

One thing to not do is listen to imperious Montana players who tell everyone where to go, I tried that twice and died miserably both times. I have found my best shot is to let it play out, and do your best while assuming the other 6 are high on crack. 

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
751 posts
7,922 battles

Going West to sneak in the back is the flavor of the... second, minute, hour, etc it seems. And there said DD typically gets crushed because every potato on the red team is headed as far west as possible to get to the mythical D cap I guess. I assume its mythical, I can't see it.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,823 posts
4,834 battles

If I’m as fast or faster than the other teams DDs, and starting South, I’ll go for that hiding spot next to the island in B. Otherwise, I go west or try for C. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,449 posts
7,925 battles

depends, i like to contest C first, however, if I spawn closer to AB, depending on ships I will try to cap A from the outside of the island and see how it plays out.

[SEC_8]
Members
135 posts
3,043 battles

I did have some luck last night going to the far East side and torping the radar cruiser covering C:

The key seems to be to make sure you stay at least 12km away from those cruisers!

SoF1.png

Edited by Torpin