You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
C_D

Moment of Silence

15 comments in this topic

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
692 posts
6,093 battles

Taylor Robertson

Taylor Robertson "SpotMePlzzz" 27 years old

Eli Clayton

Eli Clayton "True" 22 years old

I would ask today that all players observe some sort of moment of silence at the start of matches for these two innocent young men. We here know what it is like to take our game very serious but we need to remember what is most important in life and that is each other. We humans is all we have got in life and no game is worth a life. My heart goes out to the victims families of this tragedy.

Rest in peace 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/us/jacksonville-shooting-victims/index.html

Edited by C_D
  • Cool 13
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

So, what happened?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[PSP]
Members
6,038 posts
8,582 battles

Every day 150,000 people die, many of them by violence. As a paramedic, I'd sometimes see a half-dozen people die in front of me every month, not to mention the dead bodies I had to deal with. Sorry, but I just can't get emotionally invested in any of these people, their families, or their community. This might sound harsh but if you let yourself do so you will just become a basket case.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[TDD]
Members
882 posts
7,891 battles

At the Madden Tournament a disgruntled player who lost went on a shooting spree at the venue

no game is worth dying or killing over

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,107 posts
12,851 battles
25 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Every day 150,000 people die, many of them by violence. As a paramedic, I'd sometimes see a half-dozen people die in front of me every month, not to mention the dead bodies I had to deal with. Sorry, but I just can't get emotionally invested in any of these people, their families, or their community. This might sound harsh but if you let yourself do so you will just become a basket case.

I think I understand hospital humor and your take on this … partly it's a defense mechanism, but also you have more perspective than the OP.

I am literally repulsed by the maudlin sentimentality displayed by people over news events while ignoring greater suffering that we never care to see. It seems very indulgent and reactionary, as if we are wanting to soothe our collective guilt with token flowers. You either recognize preventable suffering worldwide and choose to address it or you don't, but offering flowers to a few "newsworthy" victims doesn't do much - in fact it acts as a panacea.

Yes, be shocked - but tears for a stranger won't cut it to be brutally honest

Edited by Commander_367
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
23 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

At the Madden Tournament a disgruntled player who lost went on a shooting spree at the venue

Huh.

23 minutes ago, nina_blain_73 said:

no game is worth dying or killing over

QFT.

24 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I - ... Find it difficult to really grieve for the two in the OP for different reasons. Those being that, tragic as their deaths are and sad how their families will have to deal with two lives robbed way before their time, I've grown a bit desensitized to yet another US shooting. Each one is tragic, each one has victims that deserve respect, and each one is one too many, but the next one is always around the corner, and that one will be just as tragic.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,107 posts
12,851 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

I - ... Find it difficult to really grieve for the two in the OP for different reasons. Those being that, tragic as their deaths are and sad how their families will have to deal with two lives robbed way before their time, I've grown a bit desensitized to yet another US shooting. Each one is tragic, each one has victims that deserve respect, and each one is one too many, but the next one is always around the corner, and that one will be just as tragic.

This ^ 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,372 posts
7,959 battles
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

This, so much this.

Spent the better part of my childhood between Belfast and the US, before the peace that stopped most of the open trouble. And between experiences there, family in law enforcement, a family that has plenty of and is well versed in proper firearms usage, safety, etc - you can't put the genie back in the bottle. And until things change in laws and all, to control better who at least is making the wishes, to continue with the metaphor, it's just gonna keep happening. Why I stopped watching local news, there's at least 3 incidents a bloody day.

You live in the US - don't be silent, contact the people in charge, that make the damn laws and say enough is enough.

Trying to not be political with this, but it's getting way to SSDD with this crap. When I can basically tell you the news stories without having seen the news all day, I think that constitutes a problem.

• Cool 1

Members
286 posts
3,337 battles
54 minutes ago, Lert said:

I've grown a bit desensitized to yet another US shooting.

I gotta agree with Lert here. It seems like every weekend there has been at least 1 shooting. At this point I've grown so tired of them I stopped caring about anything and everything relating to said shootings.

Alpha Tester
271 posts
6,027 battles
19 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

This, so much this.

Spent the better part of my childhood between Belfast and the US, before the peace that stopped most of the open trouble. And between experiences there, family in law enforcement, a family that has plenty of and is well versed in proper firearms usage, safety, etc - you can't put the genie back in the bottle. And until things change in laws and all, to control better who at least is making the wishes, to continue with the metaphor, it's just gonna keep happening. Why I stopped watching local news, there's at least 3 incidents a bloody day.

You live in the US - don't be silent, contact the people in charge, that make the damn laws and say enough is enough.

Trying to not be political with this, but it's getting way to SSDD with this crap. When I can basically tell you the news stories without having seen the news all day, I think that constitutes a problem.

Exactly what laws would you have us pass that will stop human on human violence?  Cain did not use a gun.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,766 posts
5,805 battles
2 minutes ago, ol_Cajun said:

Exactly what laws would you have us pass that will stop human on human violence?  Cain did not use a gun.

There is no law that can fix what is wrong with gun violence in the US. Open Carry laws, MORE guns, wont solve the problem and have the potential to cause more problems. Removing said guns is impossible due to the 'potentially' misunderstood "right to bear arms" clause, and if if that was changed there are just so many guns available it would be impossible. Unfortunately the 2nd amendment is written in such as way that it could be interpreted meaning 2 different things....guess there were no 'rules lawyers' then lol

There is no road available but education now

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
692 posts
6,093 battles

U people are amazing...this was a post about two kids who were killed by another disturbed kid. As a father I feel for the parents of all involved including the shooter. Please don't disrespect the thread by trying to turn into a political or personal opinion thread. 2 kids are dead and this was my way of paying respect to them in asking for a moment of silence if you can't respect that move along.

• Cool 4

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,792 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I have to agree. If one cannot keep an emotional distance, objectivity goes North and one's ability to function normally is lost.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator
661 posts
249 battles

Folks while the purpose behind this thread is certainly noble, the ability for it remain within our forum guidelines seems incredibly unlikely.   As a result I do have to close it up. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 1