Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MizzenMast

Ranked: Emblem Index

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

106
[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,225 battles

One of the things I do as I am waiting for the match to load is check out the enemy team. I am looking at ship composition but also who is playing them; specifically what patch/emblem they are carrying. Now I know there are some very good players that run with the default black patch & anchor but they are the vast minority. Most of us like to show our achievements. What I am looking for in my perusing is who the ostensibly "good" players are. 

 I noticed something while playing ranked over the weekend that I have coined as the "Emblem Index".
Want to know with a fair degree of certainty at match start who will win? Count how many people on both teams have emblems. The team with higher "Emblem Index" will win 90% of the time all things being equal & the RNG gods willing. 

Start paying attention to both teams composition & see how close you get to my prognostication.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,736 posts
7,356 battles

Lol. Not so fast, my friend. I'm a fairly good player, getting better rapidly in truth, and I use a patch for my clan, though I have a lot of emblems earned. I know of a lot of players who're using the  clan patch over emblems. Taking it further, going by your rational, I shouldn't have won a match so far in ranked, as all but one time, my team was the lesser of the emblem bearers. I'm 11-6, 65% WR, from 0 star 17 to 1 star 12, currently on a 10-1 streak, and that 1 was a computer issue and we had an AFK on top of it. My team has been steamrolled 1 time out of 17 matches, while we hammered the reds 6 times in 11 wins.

 

Anyone can earn emblems, if they're willing to farm damage and spend time doing it. Emblems don't actually show you whose good, except possibly for the Elite's. For instance what my emblems won't tell you is that I earned Cruiser 3 and 2 at the same time, and DD 3 and 2 at the same time, as soon as the round req was met. I promise you, few players are doing that in their first 100 T8 and up rounds. I don't use the emblems, and they wouldn't tell you the real story even if I did.

 

I pay attention to the match in front of me, what a player has done doesn't matter, it's what they try to do, and how I counter it in the match at hand, that matters. I've sunk 9 DD's so far in my DD's, 8 of them were supposedly better than I am. Maybe they were, but they weren't right then. On average, I'm quite good, situationally, I can be extraordinary. We all can be, at times.

 

Competitive, Ranked, is not Randoms. You don't get scored on being a sneaky little b***ard, but, oh my, it sure does win rounds. (Actually, not true, I've broken 2k base xp a number of times, already, by being a sneaky little b***ard.)

 

Play the match in front of you, what came before is irrelevant.

Edited by Th3KrimzonD3mon
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,210
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,195 posts
3,867 battles

Most emblems are meaningless. Fit whatever patch you think is cool.

 

Using a fancy hard to earn emblem to show off is just advertising "Focus fire me first".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,736 posts
7,356 battles
2 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Most emblems are meaningless. Fit whatever patch you think is cool.

 

Using a fancy hard to earn emblem to show off is just advertising "Focus fire me first".

So much very this.

 

I mean, if you ...enjoy...being nuked right off, go for it, I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,210
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,195 posts
3,867 battles
Just now, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

So much very this.

 

I mean, if you ...enjoy...being nuked right off, go for it, I guess?

If I could have a patch that'd peel off to show a super rare emblem hidden under it on the kill screen, that'd be great.

 

Especially if it comes with a "I WAS AWESOME THE WHOLE TIME" voice clip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,409
[PNG]
Supertester
5,657 posts
6,455 battles

Also if/when the quacken patch comes out, I will equip that over my current patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
50 posts
5,814 battles
2 hours ago, DragonKiler said:

All except the CV emblem

Yep. THAT's the one that I look for. If the enemy CV's got the top, and your doesnt have an emblem you're in for a world of hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,969
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,736 posts
7,356 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

If I could have a patch that'd peel off to show a super rare emblem hidden under it on the kill screen, that'd be great.

 

Especially if it comes with a "I WAS AWESOME THE WHOLE TIME" voice clip.

I'd pay real cash for that one. Oh, I would indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[1-]
Members
578 posts
3,350 battles

It's one of the three ways I use to identify strong teammates:

1. I bookmarked https://worldofwarships.com/en/community/accounts/. In high tiers and ranked, I sometimes use this to check stats.

2. Like you said, I check their patches and insignias. This is easy and quick, but only as accurate as what they choose to show.

3. During endgames, I check for ship kills. It is telling for BBs and CAs, but less so for DDs.

Knowing which are the strong teammates helps choosing which side to go, whom to support, how aggressively to push, etc. I find this (identifying strong teammates) not very useful for well-rounded ships like Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, and Massachusetts, but extremely useful for ships that depend on teammates to perform, such as Amagi, Musashi, and Yamato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,560
[BIAS]
Members
3,046 posts
8,993 battles
1 hour ago, Compassghost said:

Also if/when the quacken patch comes out, I will equip that over my current patch.

I still want to know what happened with that contest... 

I was waiting for that patch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles

I only have this emblem because I think it looks cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
456
[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,015 battles
4 hours ago, MizzenMast said:

One of the things I do as I am waiting for the match to load is check out the enemy team. I am looking at ship composition but also who is playing them; specifically what patch/emblem they are carrying. Now I know there are some very good players that run with the default black patch & anchor but they are the vast minority. Most of us like to show our achievements. What I am looking for in my perusing is who the ostensibly "good" players are. 

 I noticed something while playing ranked over the weekend that I have coined as the "Emblem Index".
Want to know with a fair degree of certainty at match start who will win? Count how many people on both teams have emblems. The team with higher "Emblem Index" will win 90% of the time all things being equal & the RNG gods willing. 

Start paying attention to both teams composition & see how close you get to my prognostication.  

 

One would have to know and/or care about such things in order for it to be a useful data point. Without that knowledge they are just odd graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
855 posts
3,450 battles

You can tell if the game is a loss most of the time by the directions your team moves at the start. Positioning is always a dead giveaway of a baddie and the game going south...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
280
[-WPG-]
Members
731 posts
3,145 battles

High-end emblems, yes.  I have the first cruiser emblem and the first two "finish top 3" emblems on US cruisers. The first couple "finish in top 3" emblems aren't that imposing, as they're pretty easy to get if you play long enough. The damage emblems are much more indicative of a skilled opponent, as you have to maintain that over 100 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles
8 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

High-end emblems, yes.  I have the first cruiser emblem and the first two "finish top 3" emblems on US cruisers. The first couple "finish in top 3" emblems aren't that imposing, as they're pretty easy to get if you play long enough. The damage emblems are much more indicative of a skilled opponent, as you have to maintain that over 100 games. 

I don't find this to be true at all.  Damage emblems would be an indicator of skill, but as long as you use the right ship they are very easy to get.  I got damage emblems way before any national emblems, basically in the first 100 games.  Plus damage farming focus is quite often bad for the outcome of the game.  I have seen cruisers focus on the big juicy BB on the horizon, instead of shooting at DD at half the range, just because someone wants a pretty emblem.  Now, top 3 emblem promotes healthier game play, because you have to win and contribute more than most other players on your team.  I chose IJN one for two reasons, first it's the least obnoxious of them all (there's way too many things going on in the other national emblems), second - I was born in the year of dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
280
[-WPG-]
Members
731 posts
3,145 battles
8 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I don't find this to be true at all.  Damage emblems would be an indicator of skill, but as long as you use the right ship they are very easy to get.  I got damage emblems way before any national emblems, basically in the first 100 games.  Plus damage farming focus is quite often bad for the outcome of the game.  I have seen cruisers focus on the big juicy BB on the horizon, instead of shooting at DD at half the range, just because someone wants a pretty emblem.  Now, top 3 emblem promotes healthier game play, because you have to win and contribute more than most other players on your team.  I chose IJN one for two reasons, first it's the least obnoxious of them all (there's way too many things going on in the other national emblems), second - I was born in the year of dragon.

You don't have to consistently get in the top 3 to get those emblems.  They're going to happen if you play enough battles, unless you're just terrible.  I'm barely above 50% and have the first two in US cruisers. 

You have to consistently get high damage to get the damage emblems.  If you're doing high damage consistently, you're going to end up in the top 3 often.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,238 posts
20,604 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

I only have this emblem because I think it looks cool.

So is that a girl dog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,302
[CUTE]
Members
5,152 posts
3,430 battles
5 hours ago, DragonKiler said:

All except the CV emblem

Waiting for my 'Elite Bait' Emblem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
598
[HINON]
Members
2,567 posts
18,550 battles

i actually do this too. If I see a player with an emblem that is hard to earn, I'll give the team a heads up see if I can get them to focus him or her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,675 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

So is that a girl dog?

So, is that supposed to mean something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
0 posts

I only recently equipped this "patch/emblem" cause for me it represents a girl CV player dropping bombs/torps on the enemy ship.   They are of course sent with love and a smile just like on the patch.y3CW7zr.gif

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×