You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

The New Player Problem and How to Better Help Begginers

88 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,426 posts
4,726 battles

This game is brutal on begginers.  It’s not intuitive.  There are few tutorials and instructions.  I think a solution is a campaign mode that walks new players through the ins and outs in a well scripted format.  What do you all think would help?

• Cool 23
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Overall I like the idea. The issue is that many players are also inpatient.

• Many new players in Port Chat will ask about Free XP, Credits, where their Ship XP is, etc. I will usually tell them to go watch the videos in the Service Record because it will tell them the basics of the game and how to use it. Next issue is that most of them will understand what I am saying and watch those videos. The next half of them will usually say "GIVE ME AN ANSWER" and I will still tell them to watch the videos because that will be much easier to understand then trying to describe and type out where and what something is.
  • There was a player a while back in Port Chat who was complaining about why he could not use everything in the game because he was lower level. He was adamant in saying how the game sucked because he could not make use of the Flags, Signals, all that good stuff at the higher levels. We just told him to play and he will get it but he kept complaining about it.
  • Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Nice video. I have been playing since just before the Kamikaze R event. my win rate is bad, (see below) and I brought all the bad habits with me. I watch video after video but feel like I am just not getting some basic fundamental things. Then frustration so I will quit playing after a bit. However not for to long because this is one of the most fun games I have ever played. I think that this is a good idea Zoup. 

Edited by InventedThought

Members
9,864 posts

Sorry, but Zoup is just as deluded as WG is if he really thinks that they can change the player base at this point.....:Smile_teethhappy: 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[TOG]
Members
2,366 posts
14,622 battles

A tutorial campaign for new players is a great idea. I know of war games who go through it to tell the basics. Oh and Zoup, Failing to T10 is also a thing.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,317 posts
3,668 battles

Nice video, I agree 100%. However I don't see why a low tier premium as a reward would be a bad idea. In WoT, players that finished a small training course would receive a Lend Lease M3 Stuart. There are loads of low tier premiums in the game that don't see any action, and they could also be part of the campaign, teaching players on the use of Elite XP and Commander retraining.

• Cool 3

[LANCE]
Members
291 posts
3,098 battles

Great idea. Been around a while in other games so why not add it here. WoT did this and to encourage players added a premium tank at some point  (or was it gold/premium time). How about offering the "freebie" from the subject/training being discussed e.g. the training section talks about consumables, give the player the consumable (within reason :cap_haloween:). It would also be a good idea to add new training at new tiers as there are certainly new features added as the tiers scale up.

As you say, players learn at different speeds so definitely helps.

Enjoy the videos mate, thanks! Keep up the good work!  

[CK5]
Members
781 posts
6,237 battles

Personally, I think it is a great idea.  I would be embarrassed to admit how long it took before I fully understood how premium ships could be used to retrain captains.  "Everyone knows that," you say.  No, not everyone and the same applies to many mechanics of the game.    

• Cool 3

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
419 posts
1,839 battles

Unless it is a forced campaign that people have to wade through, new players will just press ESC and then some kind of 'return to port' button like WoT and TWA and we're back to square one. But yeah, if such a campaign were to be introduced I'd be all supportive of that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,169 posts
8,785 battles
2 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

Unless it is a forced campaign that people have to wade through, new players will just press ESC and then some kind of 'return to port' button like WoT and TWA and we're back to square one. But yeah, if such a campaign were to be introduced I'd be all supportive of that.

The rewards for that campaign need to be large enough to make it  desirable for a new player to complete it. I would make this a series of campaigns that come up on reaching certain captains levels and tier levels.

Members
4,452 posts
6,164 battles
19 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Personally, I think it is a great idea.  I would be embarrassed to admit how long it took before I fully understood how premium ships could be used to retrain captains.  "Everyone knows that," you say.  No, not everyone and the same applies to many mechanics of the game.    

Don't feel bad there is still some stuff I am rather shaky on in regards to ship XP, commander XP, training, etc.  In short I know nothing!  Well it's not that bad but it's been a learning curve.

Members
9,864 posts

If people really wanted to help, they should have spent the last three years in port chat, like a few of us have, trying to guide these players.

Of course, then people would have found out exactly who plays the game, and why you won't change them.:Smile_Default:

• Bad 1

[BOTES]
Members
137 posts
3,108 battles

Retention of new players is something WG has always had issues with, partially due to their niche appeal and partially due to often occluded gameplay mechanics. An intro campaign might be a good call, but it would have to be done well for people to remember the information they were taught.

Allowing for more referrals and encouraging referrals and their 'mentors' to play together may also be an interesting option.

[PWH]
Members
76 posts
4,780 battles

The game needs it, I feel. As I remember, it took me getting to tier 7 for me to finally figure out not to show my side to enemies, and I think that was about 3 months into the game.

Also good video Zoup.

Edited by SteeLeviathan

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles

A tutorial campaign is a great Idea but even the port is not all that intuitive. Scubadoobie just started playing, he posted on the forum that it was his first day and he was streaming on twitch. I thought, lets go watch this. As any one would expect he didn't know very much. A few other players and myself were giving him pointers. Might I say that he is developing a good following on twitch in a very short time. His second week playing and he was giving out doubloon and credit packs through his twitch channel. His third week he gave some more. My point is that he had people that were actively involved in tutoring him and he is doing quite well for a beginner due to the attention he is getting from seasoned players. You can follow him on twitch here https://www.twitch.tv/scubadoobie . He was gone this weekend but will be back next Friday with his gift card give away.  A couple things that I found made it harder to tutor him was first of all the 10 second delay on twitch while typing in the chat. Most of all what made it hard is that you don't start out with the full game as a beginner. Certain elements of the game only come available as you level up, this makes it really hard for an older player, to teach a new player, some parts of the game until that player has reached (unlocked) certain game features. I think that all new players should have to watch a video (mandatory) just covering some of the points in this video at least. After that the campaign that you speak of, that you can opt out of if you are ignorant. My nephew told me about this game and never taught me nothing about it, I fumbled around for about 3000 battles until I found the forums and then actually started to learn the mechanics of the game. I really wish for my stats and fellow team mates that there had been a training mode. The training never really stops in this game. WOWs is more like chess calculated movements, slower game play, more strategy, than other first person shooters which I relate more to checkers. I played a lot of games 20 years ago but I took a long break from gaming the only game I played before WOWS since back then was SkyrimV, and being out of the gaming community for a long time, I was ignorant about the forums and YouTube. A video that mentions the points that you bring up in this video (maybe few more) would have been enough to set me on a better path at the beginning.

Check out Scubadoobie and follow him (just because it's a nice thing to do).

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,892 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Sorry, but Zoup is just as deluded as WG is if he really thinks that they can change the player base at this point.....:Smile_teethhappy: 

I can't understand why people down vote you for pointing out simple facts, but there are new players that could benefit. I really can't see the player base changing much from what it is right now, or at least not changing very fast. I wish there was more of a training mode when I started tough.

[WOLF2]
Members
864 posts
7,002 battles

There is a training section on the main web page.   Now, given how often we see the Bad Captain cartoons, could they expand some of the basic "how-to's" into one of those videos, and tie it into the game?

Sure thing.   We've all seen those random pop-ups that WG puts on the screen as we log in or finish a match.    For those new players, throw up a pop-up to earn "free stuff" by watching the video.   It doesn't have to be much - if the video is on captain skills, show the video, and the assignment is to spec out your first skipper.   Watch the video, and complete the spec and the prize is three skill points.   Or, maybe another 3 pt skipper.

Switch gears to flags or camos.   Watch the video, mount the flags or camos as the task, and reward with 10 flags, camos.

Since they've got the training area set up, are masters at creating the little animated videos, and do pop-ups in game, it should be pretty doable.

Capture.JPG

Edited by DiddleDum

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
419 posts
1,839 battles
44 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:
51 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

The rewards for that campaign need to be large enough to make it  desirable for a new player to complete it. I would make this a series of campaigns that come up on reaching certain captains levels and tier levels.

Yeah, perhaps some flags, then some camo, then a 6-skill commander and at the end a tier 2/3 premium ship or something like that. I mean, WoT used to give out Locust when you finished WoT Academy and you got some gold and other goodies for finishing the tutorial in-game.

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,305 battles

Also the penetration mechanics are asinine. There's a spot the size of a mustard seed on the enemy ships where you have a chance to citadel, and you have to lead it exactly the right amount at the right angle, and the shells have to hit at the waterline or below it. I'm not a naval gunner but I bet they struggle with it also.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,137 posts
12,862 battles
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This game is brutal on begginers.  It’s not intuitive.  There are few tutorials and instructions.  I think a solution is a campaign mode that walks new players through the ins and outs in a well scripted format.  What do you all think would help?

Attracting new players is one thing - engaging them and retaining them is far more difficult.

As Wows grows it becomes increasingly complex and the older player community less "user friendly" to put it mildly :)

Most successful games with a steep learning curve have a set path of introductory tutorials with special rewards for new players to get them up and running quickly in a fun/safe environment. You need to build them up and give them incentives. If you make it optional, so that they can jump in/out of the tutorial and pick up where they left off or repeat a section it seems to work better. A friendly soothing host like "Dasha" can hold their hand and pat them on the back for each phase completed lol.

The quarantine period in random appears to be far too short and not limited to lower tiers. Players that complain about new players in upper tiers are often the ones who go seal clubbing to pad their stats in lower tiers. (eg. 19 point captains on a bogue was just cruel punishment for players jumping into CVs for the first time and permanently turned off many from CV play). Play any ship/tier you like, but on a level playing field and only with players of similar ability/experience as yourself.

Finally, the free to play crowd needs to get over their issues with new players and premium ships, etc. Let them buy whatever they want - it offers incentives and supports the game you all play for free.

[TOG]
Members
2,366 posts
14,622 battles
2 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Play any ship/tier you like, but on a level playing field and only with players of similar ability/experience as yourself.

Are you willing to wait for 2-5 minutes to satisfy that condition?

• Boring 1

[SANK]
Members
119 posts
4,576 battles

To be honest, while knowledge of the game is a sticking point for new players, the biggest part of retainability is not training.

The one biggest complaint I have had from people in my clan as they exit the game in to obscurity, is that they cannot understand or stomach the steamroller losses MM can hand out. It is that they cannot understand how they can lose 5 games in a row where their team loses everyone, and the enemy team loses less than half. Those loses also make them feel like they have no effect on the outcome of the game, and no one likes to feel helpless. So usually before T6, they have left the game for one that makes more sense to them.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
1,137 posts
12,862 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

2 minutes ago, Billy2Hawks said:

To be honest, while knowledge of the game is a sticking point for new players, the biggest part of retainability is not training.

The one biggest complaint I have had from people in my clan as they exit the game in to obscurity, is that they cannot understand or stomach the steamroller losses MM can hand out. It is that they cannot understand how they can lose 5 games in a row where their team loses everyone, and the enemy team loses less than half. Those loses also make them feel like they have no effect on the outcome of the game, and no one likes to feel helpless. So usually before T6, they have left the game for one that makes more sense to them.

Maybe, if WG can combine the servers they can fix MM and not increase the wait times. 

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,305 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Hmm, wait 5 minutes and have a chance of winning if I play well, or queue that pops before I could even cancel it and then my ship in the line that I'm grinding is tied up for 20 minutes in a non winnable game. Gee, I don't know.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2