You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Gamescom Camo missions...

22 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles

How many of these are there? I'm currently halfway through mission # 3, and beginning to feel like the grind is not worth the small number of camos. I don't play that many games per day that I can grind my German ships incessantly, there are other ships I would prefer to prioritise before I go on holiday next week, and I don't yet have a T8 battleship to spew out gazillions of secondary shells at close range (though I guess I could charge in with my Scharnhorst in co-op and see if that helps).

If mission 3 is the end, I'm happy to grit my teeth and power through (especially since the ship of the day for today and tomorrow isn't one I possess or can get easily)... but if there's a mission 4 I'm not going to be able to finish, I want to know about that now, before I get there.

Not a complaint about the missions per se, but they are clearly most optimal for German ship mains and that ain't me. If I had the Nurnberg and a T5+ destroyer as well as my Konigsberg it might be easier, but my other two German ships are the Scharnhorst and the Graf Spee, and they just don't fire that quickly.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
202 posts
9,469 battles
5 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Mission 3 is the end. 

You get more camos, and a flag. 

That is the 2.5Mil credits one?    Hmm,  don't recall seeing a flag so I'll have to double check when I log on tonight.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
6 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Mission 3 is the end. 

You get more camos, and a flag. 

Thanks. If this is the end, I can push on and finish it. If nothing else, it'll help get through the Konigsberg! I actually quite like this ship - it's got outstanding range on the guns compared with the US and British cruisers I'm used to, even better than a fully upgraded Omaha, and the 360 degree rear turrets make the decision to turn about a lot easier to make.

[WPP]
Members
457 posts
5,116 battles

I'm on Mission 4 to earn 2,582,108 credits.  Not sure how you only got 3 missions.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
3 minutes ago, galspanic said:

I'm on Mission 4 to earn 2,582,108 credits.

I suspect I'm out, then. I just can't see the diversion of effort from all the other things I want to do being worth it, and I got into this game to have fun. YMMV and for German mains it probably does, but that's just not the boat I float. :cat_cool:

[WOLF2]
Members
867 posts
7,019 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I suspect I'm out, then. I just can't see the diversion of effort from all the other things I want to do being worth it, and I got into this game to have fun. YMMV and for German mains it probably does, but that's just not the boat I float. :cat_cool:

It did give me some training with BB secondary brawling.   Definitely helped in generating all those ribbons.    But yeah - a pretty lengthy grind for some camos.    Had to get them, though... LOL!

[SVF]
Members
901 posts
1,282 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It actually didn't take me long at all to do Mission 4.  8 PvE matches in my Tirpitz with credit flags and a day or so of premium time.

Edited by landcollector

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
2 minutes ago, landcollector said:

8 PvE matches in my Tirpitz

Therein lies the issue. 

3 minutes ago, landcollector said:

a day or so of premium time.

...and the other issue. 

I guess if one loaded on all the credit flags and sailed forth in the Scharnhorst in Randoms AND got productive games (i.e. you don't look up from a hard duel to find that your team has melted, and you killed three out of the four enemy ships that died), it could be done. But again, is it worth the effort for the rewards?

[SVF]
Members
901 posts
1,282 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Therein lies the issue. 

...and the other issue. 

I guess if one loaded on all the credit flags and sailed forth in the Scharnhorst in Randoms AND got productive games (i.e. you don't look up from a hard duel to find that your team has melted, and you killed three out of the four enemy ships that died), it could be done. But again, is it worth the effort for the rewards?

The main reason I used Tirpitz is because it is my only tanky high tier German ship which suits my aggressive playstyle, and I do consistently well with her.  It can be done fairly quickly I would suspect with most German ships.  But, if you feel like it's not worth it for you there is no harm or shame in calling it quits and spending your time on more productive things.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,338 posts
3,669 battles

The moment I saw how these camos looked I decided I wouldn't do the missions :Smile_hiding:.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

There are 4 missions.  If you have a Scharnhorst/Tirpitz or even a high tier German tech tree (I did it with Roon grinding to Hindenburg during the special) its not difficult.  If you are doing it with Kongisberg only then yeah that probably 15+ games for the last mission without premium.

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,746 battles
57 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The moment I saw how these camos looked I decided I wouldn't do the missions :Smile_hiding:.

Eh, admit they are not all that cool, but you can convert them to silver in the inventory section (sell them off).  I have way more camo than I could ever use so I regularly sell camo for cash (I really no longer even consider using Type 1 or 2 camos, and 5 is fairly rare as well). 

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles

I'm not a main anything, nation or ship type.  But I managed to blow through these gamescon missions in a real hurry when I realized that I needed to use German ships.  For the mission that required a lot of ribbons, I would suggest NOT trying to do it (at least not entirely) in coop.  Why?  Because there are so few ships to farm ribbons from.  It's better to do it either in Randoms or Operations.  In the current tier 6 operation, I'd suggest the Nurnberg, because it has a nicely high rate of fire and getting a couple hundred or more hits (and ribbons) in a battle where you stay alive until the end (or mostly so) is entirely possible.  If you want to try coop, I'd suggest the Scharnhorst or Tirpitz or Bismarck with a good secondary captain, and then get in there and brawl, so that you can pile up a ton of secondary hit ribbons.  Even though there aren't that many ships in Coop, if you can get in a good brawl with only 1-2 enemy BBs, you can earn a ton of secondary hit ribbons.

But when it comes to doing the missions that require credits or XP earned, do it in randoms or operations mostly.  Coop just doesn't reward you enough credits or XP to be worth the time, unless you don't mind the mild inefficiency.  And if you're working the credits mission, definitely work any German premium ships you have.

This is NOT that difficult a set of missions if you put your mind to it.  The grind is actually not that difficult at all.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
453 posts
961 battles

I'm working on the credit mission myself, and since it doesn't go away until 9/10, I believe, it shouldn't be too hard.  It was nice the past two weeks when the 50% XP for 5 games/day on German ships and 10-50% (think it was 50%, could have been 30%) off German ship credit costs was in effect, which allowed me to grind up the cruiser line to get the Yorck.  Only been playing 2 months now, and for me the biggest holdup to progressing faster is the lack of credits, even running premium time.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

I'm not a main anything, nation or ship type.  But I managed to blow through these gamescon missions in a real hurry when I realized that I needed to use German ships.  For the mission that required a lot of ribbons, I would suggest NOT trying to do it (at least not entirely) in coop.  Why?  Because there are so few ships to farm ribbons from.  It's better to do it either in Randoms or Operations.  In the current tier 6 operation, I'd suggest the Nurnberg, because it has a nicely high rate of fire and getting a couple hundred or more hits (and ribbons) in a battle where you stay alive until the end (or mostly so) is entirely possible.  If you want to try coop, I'd suggest the Scharnhorst or Tirpitz or Bismarck with a good secondary captain, and then get in there and brawl, so that you can pile up a ton of secondary hit ribbons.  Even though there aren't that many ships in Coop, if you can get in a good brawl with only 1-2 enemy BBs, you can earn a ton of secondary hit ribbons.

But when it comes to doing the missions that require credits or XP earned, do it in randoms or operations mostly.  Coop just doesn't reward you enough credits or XP to be worth the time, unless you don't mind the mild inefficiency.  And if you're working the credits mission, definitely work any German premium ships you have.

This is NOT that difficult a set of missions if you put your mind to it.  The grind is actually not that difficult at all.

Thanks for the encouragement. Scharnhorst and Konigsberg front and centre! (I have no tech tree German BB's as yet, I'm not buying the Tirpitz just for this, and I'm far enough off the Nurnberg that that's also out of the question.) 

The bit I have bolded, I know well; I learned/deduced that when going for the Vampire missions late last year. 

25 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

I'm working on the credit mission myself, and since it doesn't go away until 9/10, I believe, it shouldn't be too hard. 

Is that 10th of September or 9th of October? Because I can do 9th October easy, but I'm going away at the end of this week and not back until September 14 or so.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
629 posts
1,181 battles

If you're close to getting Nurnburg, that high rate of fire should help you finish the mission pretty easily (Nurnburg is a blast to play, IMO). I finished part 3 (2.2K ribbons) by using it in co-op & Scenarios. Co-op games with tier 8 BB' make it easy to rack up the ribbons. In scenarios like the current one, it's easy to rack up 200+ ribbons. I had one match with a bit over 300, but mostly 200-250.

I'm on the last part (earn 2.5 million) and again, scenarios pays pretty well with the Nurnburg and the credits flag. Of course, there are plenty of bad teams, and a loss makes for crap earnings. Other than that, Scharnhorst & Graf Spee in randoms can earn decent amounts.

You have a while to finish them, so a few matches per day should see you through.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Wigglespank said:

You have a while to finish them, so a few matches per day should see you through.

What are the exact end dates? Because I'm on holiday and away from WOWS from about the 2nd to the 13th of September.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
453 posts
961 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Thanks for the encouragement. Scharnhorst and Konigsberg front and centre! (I have no tech tree German BB's as yet, I'm not buying the Tirpitz just for this, and I'm far enough off the Nurnberg that that's also out of the question.) 

The bit I have bolded, I know well; I learned/deduced that when going for the Vampire missions late last year. 

Is that 10th of September or 9th of October? Because I can do 9th October easy, but I'm going away at the end of this week and not back until September 14 or so.

Pretty sure it was Sept 10th...it's harder to remember when they use the day/month/year format...

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
629 posts
1,181 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What are the exact end dates? Because I'm on holiday and away from WOWS from about the 2nd to the 13th of September.

I just checked, and the end date is indeed September 10th. I was reading that date wrong and thought it ended in October.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,845 posts
3,984 battles

I elected to let this one go. Other priorities arose, and I preferred to have fun across a broad range of ships rather than have a restricted grind that might only make me miserable. There will be other competitions and other camos to get.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[NASTY]
Members
2 posts
10,931 battles

I confirm there are 4 of them, last one is the credit one, used Hindenberg in ranked to complete, Hindy played strong enough in ranked so not a problem.