You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WarDemon1

Republique vs Yamato

13 comments in this topic

[BARON]
Members
24 posts
8,162 battles

To the good BB players out there. 

I just unlocked the Alsace, but haven't started playing it yet. I heard they nerfed her so the videos about it are out of date. I also have the Izumo at 39k XP and am trying to decide which line to focus on first.

I've had good and bad games in the Izumo and have mixed feelings on her.

First - Is the Alsace still fun to play? Or at least more fun the Izumo?

Second - Which is the better pay off? The Yammy or the Rep?

Thanks!

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

They didn't fundamentally change anything about Alsace, so she should perform like she did in the videos except slightly worse. As to whether or not she's worth it, I can't say since I don't have her yet.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,321 posts
14,681 battles

Alsace is still a blast.

[WORX]
Members
1,636 posts
12,684 battles

The Yammy and the Republic are two different play styles in one BB class. The Yammy is the king of BBs for a reason, her guns are tops in the game. However, firepower alone will not make her less frustrating to play. One thing for sure, once you know how to play the Yammy correctly and with consistency, that is when you will see the true awesomeness of her power. 

The IZUMO is the black sheep of the IJN BB line that must people skip to get to the yammy so that the learning curve can start. The Republic is like any other cut and paste french BB, if you know the Alsacs then you know the Republic. But the Yammy on the other hand she is  total different animal to control all together, both are worth it IMO. You learn to different styles of BB play. The more you know the better off you are.  

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles

Id rather be given a crazy straw and go for a blind taste test at a chemical plant than have to play Izumo again.

That said, i love the Yamato.  Secondary build of corpse.

I dont see many Republics. Confirmational anecdote bias confirmed.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,320 posts
11,434 battles

yeah. Really notice much in the nerf.

She is a beast. 

This morning took Republique out in ranked.

Each team only had 1 destroyer.

So I took far cap with a zao, we pushed flank and punished des Moines broadsides.

Eventually ignored tammy as my secondaries where on her...

2 kills, high caliber, 168k, 3.2 million potential.

Took 120k actual damage,(90 k health at start) finished with 11k.

Republique is very strong battleship with secondaries that panic destroyers.

Yammy is a bow on slow ship... different playstyle.

I love the republique. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
1 hour ago, WarDemon1 said:

To the good BB players out there. 

I just unlocked the Alsace, but haven't started playing it yet. I heard they nerfed her so the videos about it are out of date. I also have the Izumo at 39k XP and am trying to decide which line to focus on first.

I've had good and bad games in the Izumo and have mixed feelings on her.

First - Is the Alsace still fun to play? Or at least more fun the Izumo?

Second - Which is the better pay off? The Yammy or the Rep?

Thanks!

Anything is more fun than Izumo...

• Cool 1

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Yammy and Republique are both effective ships, but Republique is IMO a lot more fun to play. It's got great guns too but is much more mobile and flexible than Yammy(bow tanking at 20km while hosting a BBQ on your deck can get old).

Disagree with guy above though 2 turrets, 8 guns, and fast reload means that Republique does play (somewhat) differently than other French BBs.

Alsace is still a solid ship after the nerf, certainly an easier grind than Izumo.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[BROOK]
1,983 posts

Nothing beats the absolutely ridiculous shower of 100mm secondaries the Alsace can give out to some unlucky sucker that wandered too close. She's brilliant at starting fires with them,

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
1,985 posts
7,647 battles

Yamato is still the best BB in the game IMO.

• Cool 3

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles

As long as Yamato keeps the fighting at arm's length, her powerful, accurate 460mm guns are supreme.  460mm AP is the only AP that can Overmatch 32mm armor which is very prevalent in High Tier Battleships.  What armor thickness are French and RN Battleships covered in?.... Nothing but 32mm.  The closer the range gets, that's where issues arise.

1.  Her citadel vulnerability on the forward / side of the bow.

2.  Slow turret traverse which is made even worse if you slotted the Legendary upgrade.

This makes Yamato very clumsy in a short ranged fight, especially if the threat somehow gets to a wider angle of Yamato where she becomes much, much more vulnerable.  Her turrets struggle to keep pace and the citadel can be exploited.

Lastly, it never gets old citadeling USN BBs right through the bow with Yamato's 460mm AP.  This is NA server.  So you'll find lots of USN BBs to shoot at.

Republique?  Lots of build flexibility.  Personally I've done Secondary Build and she's monstrous like that.  Some however do Main Battery Build and I see validity in that choice.  In short, a very flexible BB.  Fast, powerful secondaries, fast shooting 430mm guns that can Overmatch 30mm armor (a number of Cruisers in these tiers feature 30mm armor sections).  Citadel protection is decent but don't expect Brawling GK Turtlebacks, you'll eat Citadels if you're stupid with Republique.  This BB emphasizes mobility and a desire to get close.  The shorter the range, the great secondaries, good turret traverse and fast firing guns make her very dangerous.  A wonderful benefit of the fast firing guns is it feels like they're available every time you need them the most to punish someone.  Issues?  She has them, all ships have some number of problems.

1.  8 guns only.  If RNG screws you over, it really screws you over and those 8 shells will scatter badly.  IMO she's a bit suspect when it comes to longer ranged gun duels, which often happens in Tier X matches.  Yamato vs Republique at 17km?  LOL bet on Yamato!

2.  Republique is armored like many RN & French BBs these tiers... lots of 32mm armor.  I already mentioned that Yamato can Overmatch 32mm armor.  But a major problem for French & RN BBs is that Cruiser HE eats the 32mm armor of such BBs.  Cruiser HE will pen 32mm easily.  203mm HE will pen EASILY, much less the HE from 220mm Moskva, 240mm Henri IV.  152mm with IFHE will pen easily, so stuff like Kutuzov, Worcester, and other CLs will pen with regularity.  Cruisers do very reliable damage against 32mm armor.  I'm not talking about fires, I'm talking about shell damage.  Fires are icing on the cake for Cruisers when they can regularly get HE penetrations.

3.  Republique turrets are tough, but be careful about getting close enough where a BB opponent can make called, accurate shots.  If Republique loses 1 turret they lose 50% of their gun power.  You get into brawling range to another BB, it's very easy to aim for turrets.

If AA matters to you, IMO, both are garbage AA for Tier X.

"What?  But Haze!  Look at the DPS of Republique's AA!"

Doesn't matter.  Without AA Build dedication, Republique's AA won't kill planes far enough, fast enough.  Taiho, Essex, Hakuryu, Midway will plow through Main Battery Build, Secondary Build Republique as if that AA doesn't exist, just like it would against Yamato, GK.  The only way that AA becomes good on Republique is AA Build.  Who do you know out there does AA Build Republique?

Anybody?

Anyway, both are good BBs.  I have all the Tier X BBs and love them all.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,189 battles

Republique has a more active playstyle that I prefer.  

Just give me the Main Battery Reload Booster already.

• Cool 1

[BARON]
Members
24 posts
8,162 battles

Thanks. A lot of good information. I prefer being mobile but on the other hand you gotta love big guns. No dirty innuendos intended, lol. 

But since the Izumo has been frustrating me, I think I'll give the Alsace first crack.