Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sulghunter331

An Oddity of Consumable Choice

3 comments in this topic

[HCH]
Beta Testers
854 posts
7,167 battles

With the recent patch, the main battery reload booster consumable for the French cruisers has become available to all and sundry. I have taken my Saint Louis for a spin with the consumable, and it feels rather useful in punishing ships out of position, and when in close knife fights. I find no real fault with this consumable itself, but rather, I find it odd that the developers chose to give this consumable to French cruisers rather than the USN heavy cruisers. It has been mentioned several times in several different threads of how USN sailors manning the gun turrets of heavy cruisers used a technique called "Q-Balling" to shorten the reload time for their guns.

Spoiler

For those who are not familiar, "Q-Balling" involved using the power loader in the gun to "kick" or send the shell into the breech instead of pushing it in. This allowed the rammer to travel a shorter distance, hence lowering the time of the loading cycle.

I am simply wondering why the developers chose to give the French cruisers the main battery reload booster, when the USN heavy cruisers have actual historical examples of such a method, although, if they didn't want to make Des Moines a literal machine gun, I wouldn't be surprised too much.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles

Des Moines wouldn't have needed to use the 'Cue-balling' method, as Des Moines' 203mm rifles had auto loaders. Hence why DM can get such a quick reload in the first place.

I too find it odd that the consumable wasn't considered for USN CAs. It would be a great fit, like TRB on the IJN DDs that actually had the capacity/facilities to quickly reload torpedoes, it's got a good historical basis for existing in the game. It's even more odd since French cruisers already have Engine Boost as a flavor, and as a unique consumable to the line it's been well received to my knowledge. I suppose WG figured that with USN cruisers now specializing in radar they didn't need another consumable like MBRB(that and I'm pretty sure that the USN CA reload times already sort of factor in the cue-balling method a bit).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[HCH]
Beta Testers
854 posts
7,167 battles
9 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Des Moines wouldn't have needed to use the 'Cue-balling' method, as Des Moines' 203mm rifles had auto loaders. Hence why DM can get such a quick reload in the first place.

I too find it odd that the consumable wasn't considered for USN CAs. It would be a great fit, like TRB on the IJN DDs that actually had the capacity/facilities to quickly reload torpedoes, it's got a good historical basis for existing in the game. It's even more odd since French cruisers already have Engine Boost as a flavor, and as a unique consumable to the line it's been well received to my knowledge. I suppose WG figured that with USN cruisers now specializing in radar they didn't need another consumable like MBRB(that and I'm pretty sure that the USN CA reload times already sort of factor in the cue-balling method a bit).

Honestly, the French cruisers feel slightly over loaded as far as consumables are concerned. With engine boost and the main battery reload boost, it feels like they're trying to squeeze multiple gimmicks into the french cruisers.

Sign in to follow this