You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
timmyg1004

Really Disappointed in ranked WG

51 comments in this topic

[O7]
Beta Testers
240 posts
14,579 battles

I dont know about everyone else but ranked in my eyes is worse than any tier random game you could imagine. there is players who have under 50 games in tier 10 ships,cant even do their hit points in avg damage and struggle to get their win rate over 45%. I dont know about anyone else but this is not in my eyes who a ranked season should  include as a player base.this is supposed to be filled with players who have a clue on where to position and what to shoot at. Ranked on paper is a success sure in wargamings eyes but sorry it is a total flop. the entire system needs to be reworked as far as gaining stars/loosing stars etc. Listen i dont begrudge anyone actually playing but there needs to be a cut off for the average joe and a player who takes this game seriously. isnt ranked supposed to be for the competitive player who doesnt or cant play clan wars?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[O7]
Beta Testers
240 posts
14,579 battles

sure yeah as ranked sits now but with changes that would be alot different

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

Ranked game modes in any game are about being the best individual by winning more with whatever you get.  Its a stupid game mode in any game, but it's good for people's ego and it helps WG sell tier 8 premiums so everyone is happy...

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
5 minutes ago, timmyg1004 said:

I dont know about everyone else but ranked in my eyes is worse than any tier random game you could imagine. there is players who have under 50 games in tier 10 ships,cant even do their hit points in avg damage and struggle to get their win rate over 45%. I dont know about anyone else but this is not in my eyes who a ranked season should  include as a player base.this is supposed to be filled with players who have a clue on where to position and what to shoot at. Ranked on paper is a success sure in wargamings eyes but sorry it is a total flop. the entire system needs to be reworked as far as gaining stars/loosing stars etc. Listen i dont begrudge anyone actually playing but there needs to be a cut off for the average joe and a player who takes this game seriously. isnt ranked supposed to be for the competitive player who doesnt or cant play clan wars?

These players who “you” say shouldn’t be playing ranked are  most likely battle scared veterans of ranked battles who’ve seen to many one step forward two steps back ranked games and finally succumbed to the frustration and mental damage of ranked, they now do it out of habit for a short time before heading off for Random fun... the odds oh passionate one of you ending up in this heap  are high .. very high

good luck .. your going to need it .. and then some

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
659 posts
4,237 battles
40 minutes ago, timmyg1004 said:

I dont know about everyone else but ranked in my eyes is worse than any tier random game you could imagine. there is players who have under 50 games in tier 10 ships,cant even do their hit points in avg damage and struggle to get their win rate over 45%. I dont know about anyone else but this is not in my eyes who a ranked season should  include as a player base.this is supposed to be filled with players who have a clue on where to position and what to shoot at. Ranked on paper is a success sure in wargamings eyes but sorry it is a total flop. the entire system needs to be reworked as far as gaining stars/loosing stars etc. Listen i dont begrudge anyone actually playing but there needs to be a cut off for the average joe and a player who takes this game seriously. isnt ranked supposed to be for the competitive player who doesnt or cant play clan wars a way for WG to make money?

Fixed that for you. WG will never limit or gate participation in Ranked based on skill. They want everyone who wants to play in there. The more games they need to grind out to make progress (or try and make progress) the better. They keep the queues filled and are more likely to need to buy camos and premium time to sustain their T10 play.  This is also why WG is stubbornly flinging T10 at everything. 

Edited by Rocketpacman

[INTEL]
Members
8,397 posts
25,183 battles

It will be interesting to see the stats on Ranked participation this season.

[5D]
Members
2,208 posts
13,930 battles

I've said for many seasons now Ranked is just Randoms with smaller teams. You get the same bad players that have no idea what to do, new players who have watched videos and think they know it all, average players who run at the first shells whizzing past them and then you're left with the rest who actually want to play a serious battle.

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,106 battles

You guys must have played a different ranked series than I did.

• Bad 1

[WOLF8]
Alpha Tester
1,027 posts
4,344 battles

Unless WG wants to allow us to pick our own team and requires us to play with only those players, ranked shouldn't be a team effort. If the purpose of ranked is to see how you stack up against the unwashed masses then grading as as team completely defeats the purpose. Rank should be a mode where you work as a team to achieve victory however you are rewarded or punished due to your own particular merits and good/poor play, not win/loss.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
260 posts
1,680 battles

All Im trying to do is make it to Rank 12. Got 1 star away and dropped to 13 and back and forth. 

Members
1,160 posts
501 battles

seems it's been a while since we heard from you... but glad to see its the same topic, same rants....

How ya been>>:Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,769 battles
2 hours ago, timmyg1004 said:

Ranked on paper is a success sure in wargamings eyes but sorry it is a total flop.

Ranked is NOT a success on paper; neither are clan battles. This is why we have special "steel" ships, the latest of which is so OP that no one even bothers to disagree with the statement. WoW needs players to participate in both Ranked and Clan battles or both will be scrapped soon as failures. And the only way to get "steel" and get the OP ships is to play in either of these two events, or have God's own luck with super-containers.

1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

It will be interesting to see the stats on Ranked participation this season.

Yes it will be, and to see if this season follows the recent trend of even less player participation than the previous years. Especially with it being tier 10 again after all the complaints about that last season.

• Cool 3

[SBS]
Members
2,388 posts
2,247 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

Ranked is NOT a success on paper; neither are clan battles. This is why we have special "steel" ships, the latest of which is so OP that no one even bothers to disagree with the statement. WoW needs players to participate in both Ranked and Clan battles or both will be scrapped soon as failures. And the only way to get "steel" and get the OP ships is to play in either of these two events, or have God's own luck with super-containers.

Yes it will be, and to see if this season follows the recent trend of even less player participation than the previous years. Especially with it being tier 10 again after all the complaints about that last season.

Actually, I think it probably is a success, and that's why its T10 again.  WG probably made money on people buying premium time to do the grind, and the people that spent money to unlock T10 ships. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
2 hours ago, timmyg1004 said:

No, Ranked is NOT supposed to be for the competitive player who doesn't play CB's for whatever reason.  It's supposed to be for everybody, whether we like it or not. 

Of course, "everybody" doesn't participate in Ranked.  Many don't play Ranked at all, even some good players.  Personally, I think that this isn't a great decision.  There are a lot of rewards to be farmed in the early ranks.  And if you can stomach getting up to, say, Rank 10, that's a pretty fair amount of rewards.  Plus with the number of stars you get awarded at the start of the next Ranked season, you can skip over a good number of ranks yet still get the rewards for those ranks.

I will say however that I'm not liking the decision to reduce the tier at which tier 10's are used this season from rank 10 to rank 15.  I'm personally sick and tired of seeing tier 10 ships be the primary competitive ships used in both ranked and Clan Battles.  I truly wish that WG would get it together and understand that players would truly prefer that Ranked NOT use tier 10 ships.  If they were going to use a 2 tier ship league thing, do t6's or t7's for the low ranks and t8's for the high ranks.  Then those of us who are tired of tier 10 ships in these competitive events get a break.  And those who don't have tier 10's are able to play deeper into the Ranked  season, if they want to give it a go.

As for the quality of players in Ranked, I have a couple of thoughts.

1. WG has never shown any willingness nor desire to limit who can play in any mode based on player talent.  So don't expect this to change.

2. I think that part of the problem with weak players advancing is related to the entire advancement system, i.e. the star system.  If you have a team with 4-5 fairly good players and 3-2 weaker ones, and that team wins, the weak players gain a star whether they really deserved one or not.  I've come up with a number of ideas about how Ranked could promote better play in how it scores the entire Ranked concept, rather than having it be only about winning or losing.  If the scoring system required both good play (where winning was just a part of the whole equation), then weaker, less productive players would have difficulty advancing even when they were on winning teams, while stronger, more productive players could advance more easily even when on losing teams.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,769 posts
13,557 battles
20 minutes ago, Umikami said:

The number of people playing Rank have been declining each season. You can see for your self if you look at the Rank Wrap up threads WG post after each season of Rank.

[See Spoiler] 

Spoiler

Rank Season 7 
16,224,130 Battles Played
311,847 Participants  

Rank Season 8
15,954,358 Battles Played
271,103 Participants

Rank Season 9
14,109,367 Battles Played
237,579 Participants

Between Season 7 and 8
269,772 Less Battles Played
40,744 Less Participants

Between Seasons 8 and 9
1,844,991 Less Battles Played 
33,524 Less Participants

The Decline in Rank players could be from, general frustration with the game mode, lack luster rewards, or burn out. Frankly I've grown tired of trying to get WG's attention to the problems I see with Rank. As of last season I got my hands on the Black and Now I don't even worry over Rank. I'll probably play it some for the easy steall but I won't stress over getting Rank 1 this season. 

I don't know how we get a redesign of Rank. [Note, Rank will be bad no matter the tier of ships used] But maybe if enough people stop playing Rank it will go the way of Team Battles or at least get the attention of the Devs. 

• Cool 3

[BUNNY]
Members
162 posts
7,527 battles

I'm actually enjoying ranked so far. Have been in some really excellent matches. 

[R_N]
[R_N]
Members
53 posts
3,787 battles

Fellow Captains,

This was my first run at Rank Battles and I can say it was AWESOME!

Just like in any Random pub match a win depends on your fellow team members and how good the team is at working together.

I do not see why some feel it is a bad event.

Looking forwards to the next one.

[_AFW_]
Members
973 posts
7,021 battles

The thing about ranked if you do not get going on it the first day and grind like crazy it becomes even harder to advance. Trying to move up now is much harder and a hardcore grind. Ranked sadly was never about skill but about how many games you are willing to grind. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,504 battles

It is why ranked battles garner salt. Watch your team throw games like professional sportsmen.

To be honest as you get into the 5-2 bracket most people know how to play. 

This season removing the irrevocable save to rank 12 means you won't get the potatoes sitting at 10-6 constantly and being carried to levels they cannot earn on their own. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,587 posts
4,345 battles
2 hours ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

I've said for many seasons now Ranked is just Randoms with smaller teams. You get the same bad players that have no idea what to do, new players who have watched videos and think they know it all, average players who run at the first shells whizzing past them and then you're left with the rest who actually want to play a serious battle.

Think I saw you tonight...lord knows you had a bunch of the former on your side.  I like the format because there's a lot less to manage.  Easy to remember where 7 ships are and if they have my side.  All in all, disappointed it's Tier X from rank 15.  I was enjoying my Tier VIII ships.  Tier X is a small fleet for me and it really is a grind.  That said, I had a good streak today.

Members
1,160 posts
501 battles
15 minutes ago, Elder_Lee said:

Fellow Captains,

Just like in any Random pub match a win depends on your fellow team members and how good the team is at working together.

O0fR6Nn.gif

[STW-N]
Members
219 posts
7,619 battles

I hate it when people aren't good at things!

[NDA]
Supertester
4,769 posts
13,557 battles
33 minutes ago, Elder_Lee said:

Fellow Captains,

Oh you summer child. I wish I still held this optimistic view of Rank.

Sadly the true nature of Rank was beaten into me by Season 4. 

I wish you luck in your battle against Rank where your team will do just as much to lose the game as the enemy will do to win. 

• Cool 1