You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Kitakaze a "keeper"?

21 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles

Almost ready to restart the IJN Akizuki tree grind (still working on other lines, plus ranked, plus the wife that thinks I spend too much time on the game...) and was wondering:

Assuming you might want the port slot or to transfer the captain, is the Kitakaze a keeper? I have heard some good things about it BUT it sits in that T9 MM pit where it constantly sees T10's (rarely T7's) anyway so is it worth keeping once I get the Harugumo? Some ships (Fletcher and Yugumo come to mind) are good enough in their own right to hang on to with some saying they prefer them over the T10 "upgrades". Something the T9 does better than the follow-on that can make it useful/more fun to play. Nothing (yet) WG puts out is geared toward Tier 9s (ranked, clan, scenarios) so they really have no purpose unless the player just clicks with the ship somehow.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,412 posts
4,300 battles

Keeper definitely. Super Akizuki uptiers well, and imho it's a far better T9 IJN DD than Yugumo. It's a riot IFHE dakka dakka dakka facemelting everything regardless of tier.

• Cool 1

Members
4,743 posts
5,464 battles

I'd definitely say so, and my captain isn't using IFHE. Still very viable. I just wish the torp reload wasn't so long sometimes.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles

Harugumo is supposedly big, slow, clumsy, and as situational as both Minotaur and the Wooster Rooster. Apparently it has guns, but little else to make it a Wunderbote. Kitakaze is smaller, maneuvers and accelerates better, and much less of a one trick pony. So ... yeah, keeper.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,325 posts
11,458 battles

I really do not know.

I unlocked her and free exp to hatagumo.

She seems to perform better by lasting longer.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,802 posts
4,826 battles

I was horrible with the Akizuki. Kita is my best performing DD. I did upgrade it with free XP before taking it out but my second game in it was my second best ever.

It has no tools for avoiding radar and torp reloads are forever. But the gun range is good (1000 m/sec, but they are small and git drifty after about 9km), but if you can find a target looking the wrong way and don't have 4 cruisers aimed at you, you can go to town. I'm averaging 56k damage right now, and I am below server average. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles

What I was wondering. Basically, if you have both, which would you want to play more often. Right now I have the French St Louis and the Henri. Lots of missions require the T10 but even in randoms I can't think of a good reason to play the SL over the Henri. Except for concealment, Henri just does everything better and chances are they will be fighting the same ships.

4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Kitakaze is smaller, maneuvers and accelerates better, and much less of a one trick pony. So ... yeah, keeper.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,802 posts
4,826 battles

Don't have the T10 yet. Flamu and Notser seem to think the 9 is the better boat for the reasons mentioned.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
77 posts
3,481 battles

I have both ships and both have similar, yet differing play styles. The Kitikaze is indeed a nice improvement over the Akizuki, so much so for me, that I sold the Akizuki and moved my 18 point captain to her. What's nice, as is already mentioned above, is the extreme high rate of fire and with IFHE, great chance of starting fires. Because her shells mimmick US DD shells, you can indeed spam over many islands with ease. The rudder shift is nicer on the Kitikaze versus the Akizuki and Kitikaze has great stealth for her tier. Also, Kitikaze and Harugumo now get 6 torps instead of the 4 Akizuki has, plus all 3 have torpedo reload boost which is very nice indeed. 

As mentioned above, the Harugumo is more comparable to  CL, both in raw firepower it is able to generate, it's wider turning radius and is slower to get up to speed. The Harugumo is the first IJN DD that can actually contest caps quite well against all except maybe a Khaba and I am not quite certain the Khaba will want to go toe to toe. However, when capping, you need to position yourself to egress oout of cap quickly once the radar spamming hits and you do not have high enough terrain to block the incoming HE barrage from the opposing team. 

I think both ships are indeed keepers and loved the Akizuki the entire time I owned her. Alas, since she's a tier 8 though, MM is not often kind to her in matches. The introduction of the Kitikaze and Harugumo now change that dynamic and I suspect they will be the emerging dominant players in forthcoming victory tallies. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,174 posts
9,656 battles
45 minutes ago, strykerpsg said:

The rudder shift is nicer on the Kitikaze versus the Akizuki

Didn't WG just nerf the Akizuki rudder/turning to make sure the Kitikaze was an improvement.

[SWNG]
Beta Testers
77 posts
3,481 battles
22 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Didn't WG just nerf the Akizuki rudder/turning to make sure the Kitikaze was an improvement.

I think you are correct. It was a very enjoyable ship pre-nerf, but challenging when up-tiered. Post nerf, not as much fun in my opinion, hence the early retirement from my fleet.

[HEROS]
Members
1,402 posts
11,831 battles

keeper, oh hell yea.. fun ship and easily able to hold its own in a tier X fight

[WOLFK]
[WOLFK]
Members
92 posts
12,672 battles

Is it a keeper...  at this stage i'm going to say yes as it has all the qualities I love in the pre nerf Akizuki with better torps.   this means for me I will need another dedicated commander of at least 14 points since i'm not giving up the Aki.  It's still a beast even with the nerfed detection and maneuverability.

• Cool 1

[PWH]
Members
242 posts
On 8/27/2018 at 12:52 PM, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

keeper, oh hell yea.. fun ship and easily able to hold its own in a tier X fight

This.  It's significantly OP for a T9 DD.  Powercreep at it's finest.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,363 posts
5,025 battles

Akizuki, Kitakaze, and Harugumo are all exceptionally strong. Kitakaze is still a strong contender even if you could only keep one because it offers more flexible gameplay than Harugumo or Akizuki thanks to its speed.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,802 posts
4,826 battles

Have the Kita, played the Huru on PTS. 

Haru’s a brick. I’ll research it, but not buying it. 

Keeping the Kita

[_USS_]
[_USS_]
Members
284 posts
9,104 battles

I got the Akizuki 2 ranked seasons ago because I thought it was awesome..........I sucked hard in it and hated it so I left it in port. 

With the upcoming release of the Kitakaze and the Harugumo I thought, "may as well grind this ship so I can see what all the fuss is about"

so.........I ground it to the Kitakaze, and fell in love with the little ship that could...........

Got the Kitakaze and was amazed at how wonderful this ship is. 

Before I knew it I had researched the Harugumo, My captain was a 16 point on the Kitakaze, but I have enjoyed the ship so much, I left my little weeb captain on it (from the Harakaze) and this morning she turned 19.......Go me.

I played the Harugumo with a 10 pt captain......it is ok, but cumbersome. keeper for sure.

Even though I blow total sack at this game, The kitakaze is probably my favorite ship to play next to the Fletcher, although I destroy Fletchers in this ship

Kitakaze is a keeper all the way, Best and most enjoyable grind for me. YMMV

GP

Members
6 posts
12,610 battles

I would say its definitely a keeper.

I had to sell mine to afford the Haragumo, but I do plan on buying the Kitakaze back at some point..... eventually...

Members
74 posts
9,815 battles

I had 1,500+ battles in Akizuki before release 7.8.

Im keeping Kitakazi for when my play style that day is too agressive for Harugumo's el-slugo nimbless.

Both are best used as a mini CL, backing up other DDs