You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

Why have more consumables than possible to use?

8 comments in this topic

Members
236 posts
10,108 battles

I first noticed this with the Grosser Kurfurst spotting planes. Without Superintendent, 7 Spotter planes. This sounds great except that it is impossible to use 7 planes in a game. 

6min between reloads means the reload time allows for at most 3 planes to be launched. Using the premium at 4 min between reloads allows for maybe 4 planes to be launched. So 7 or 8 planes -- what is the point I am missing? I thought that 7 might be useful with the directional launch which gives 2 planes in the air -- but apparently not.

5b831b66b4368_ScreenShot2018-08-26at2_27_41PM.thumb.png.b2e2cee69972075473b907a8069d3035.png

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,743 posts
7,373 battles

Using premium consumables does one very important thing: It decreases the cooldown towards the next use. Having extra planes also does another important thing: Replacement of a shot down plane. In an AA heavy round, I've had 4 spotters shot down, and launched them 6 times. And that's just for me. If they get shot down right as they launch, you could in fact launch them all.

[PVE]
Members
8,905 posts
7,305 battles
11 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

I first noticed this with the Grosser Kurfurst spotting planes. Without Superintendent, 7 Spotter planes. This sounds great except that it is impossible to use 7 planes in a game. 

6min between reloads means the reload time allows for at most 3 planes to be launched. Using the premium at 4 min between reloads allows for maybe 4 planes to be launched. So 7 or 8 planes -- what is the point I am missing? I thought that 7 might be useful with the directional launch which gives 2 planes in the air -- but apparently not.

5b831b66b4368_ScreenShot2018-08-26at2_27_41PM.thumb.png.b2e2cee69972075473b907a8069d3035.png

3 minutes ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

Using premium consumables does one very important thing: It decreases the cooldown towards the next use. Having extra planes also does another important thing: Replacement of a shot down plane. In an AA heavy round, I've had 4 spotters shot down, and launched them 6 times. And that's just for me. If they get shot down right as they launch, you could in fact launch them all.

This^^^

And the majority of ships don't have that many.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Catapult_Fighter

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Spotting_Aircraft

Members
236 posts
10,108 battles

Still doesn't make sense to have 8. The cool down is 4mins. Even if instantly shot down, at most 6 could be launched (and this is assuming the spotter at the very beginning is shot down instantly .. by a friendly ship.

[PVE]
Members
8,905 posts
7,305 battles
6 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

Still doesn't make sense to have 8. The cool down is 4mins. Even if instantly shot down, at most 6 could be launched (and this is assuming the spotter at the very beginning is shot down instantly .. by a friendly ship.

The premium catapult fighter consumable is a 2 min cooldown, so you can have all 8 shot down theoretically.  It doesn't really harm anything to have more, so what is the big deal?

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles

I'm pretty sure the number of aircraft is in someway linked to historical plane capacity with some tweaks.  The addition of a charge on a consumable is standard with all premium consumables that have charges.  Its an arcade game its not that complicated.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,661 posts
14,025 battles

Moar is better, because you'll get charged the same when it comes to consumables whether you use them or not, so best to have more than you need.

[PNG]
Supertester
5,658 posts
6,455 battles

The default catapult consumable count is based on how many aircraft it could carry. Which is why American battleships have 3, while Yamato has much more than 3. This is a carryover from when all ships actually had aircraft hangars, and you could run out of aircraft before you could run out of consumables.