You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cruxdei

REAL differences of t-61 and z-39

14 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
3,977 battles

so i  see the ships are VERY similar,4 guns(different caliber and reload ok),good torps,hydro and ok concealment i think.

but a tier6 ship gameplay is not exactly the same from a tier7 ship,different threats for example,a t-61 fight against less radar,z-39 need to understand radar range and the ships that use it so he can  contest caps.

i want to hear the opinions of the owners of those ships,who is the best ship for you?the t-61 or the z-39 and why?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[LANCE]
Members
291 posts
3,095 battles

There’s pros and cons to both ships.

Concealment is slightly better on the T61 or seems like it anyways

Z-39 has bigger caliber guns and has better pen but slower turret traverse

Both have useable torps and the hydro is good for cap contesting especially against a smoked enemy DD. If he’s smoked you can pop hydro, creep up on him, smoke up and take shots/launch torps chasing him out of cap

T-61 is a better trainer for your tier 9/10 German DD’s as it has the same caliber and feel guns

T-61 benefits from BFT whereas Z-39 doesn’t due to gun caliber. Tier 9/10 can make use of BFT also

If you are going to keep tier 8 DD Z-39 is a good trainer for this ship

I have both but my Z-39 feels slightly gimped due to Capt Pts use although it’s workable. The T-61suits the tier 9/10 Capt skills better

Sure someone else may be able to confirm some of this with more detailed info. Unfortunately I’m not in front of my system for that!

Both good ships mate but I prefer the T-61 for the Capt training and slightly more forgiving MM

Good luck with which ever you choose mate! o7

Beta Testers
2,825 posts
3,977 battles

yeah t-61 looks good,even if the guns are less workable than z-39(anemic he shells and stupid ap penetration).

but now a new ship is on my mind too,aigle have good guns too and ok torps,while she lacks hydro,i don't want to dance with her,her guns hurt a lot,or so i heard.

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles

T-61 and Aigle are both (IMO) 'Gudbotes'.  I do like the guns on the Aigle.  Aigle (and to an extent the Z-39) has turrets that turn to slow for a non-Russian DD.  They're Gnevny slow.  With the Aigle being worse.  Aigle has the largest caliber that can still take advantage of BFT.  T-61 can also.  Biggest advantage now is that the T-61 can train captains for a nation that has a full line.  The Aigle at present has no siblings (though Le Terrible' could change that).  

At T6 also consider Gallant.  Use it to train captains for the upcoming RN DD line. 

Z-39 will see radarpalooza if it's middle or bottom tier.  T-61 will only see it if bottom tier, or middle tier if an Atlanta or other radar premiums show up.  

Edited by ZARDOZ_II

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles

I do far better in Z39 than in T61. I think it's two things: I simply fit Z39 better, and I don't feel T61 is nearly as good as people hyped it. More T61 doesn't do well against uptiering, whereas Z39 pretty much laughs at it.

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles

I have both and I like them a lot, but I lean more towards Z-39. T-61 has that sweet 61.2 second torpedo reload but her guns are kinda meh. Z-39's 81 second torpedo reload aint bad and her guns can do a serious damn-damn on other DDs and can be pretty rough on Cruisers. Plus Z-39 seems to be tougher than T-61 and she also uptiers better than T-61.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,290 battles
18 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

yeah t-61 looks good,even if the guns are less workable than z-39(anemic he shells and stupid ap penetration).

but now a new ship is on my mind too,aigle have good guns too and ok torps,while she lacks hydro,i don't want to dance with her,her guns hurt a lot,or so i heard.

The Z-39 guns are  a horror show. Bad enough when you are in own-tier matches, but they are miserable when you are uptiered. It needs at least a second whacked off its ROF to be viable, and another km of range at least. 

I play mine as a torp boat, since the guns will do little damage. If you have collectors instincts, get it, but otherwise your money is better spent on other boats. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

I do far better in Z39 than in T61. I think it's two things: I simply fit Z39 better, and I don't feel T61 is nearly as good as people hyped it. More T61 doesn't do well against uptiering, whereas Z39 pretty much laughs at it.

I think they are both roughly equivalent, tier-for-tier. Both are good.

T61 - funbote

T-61 can never live up to it's hype. It's good, but Anshan-level good - not Nikolai/Gremy/Guilio/Belfast good. The best T6 DD? Perhaps - but that's not exactly stellar competition.

The problem is it's "good" trait was it's torpedoes, so everyone* (*ie BB mains) lost their minds.  And it's unlikely anyone will go "oops, maybe I did make too big a deal over T61" - remember the Asashio?

It's a torpedo boat that isn't automatically useless at everything else. Apparently any torpedo boat that isn't gimped with severe drawbacks is overpowered.

T61 is, for me, more fun - as faster reloading torpedoes means you feel more involved, rather than waiting around a la Z39. Also, unlike IJN DD, you don't feel like a free lunch to every other DD.  It's also a tier 6, which means you face 7s in most games.

Z39 - toughbote

Z39 lives in the shadow of its overhyped sibling. But for me, it's a more reliable boat.  Mostly - due to the huge chunk of HP. The Kidd has taught me to appreciate extra HP.

It's more boring - low gun dpm, and slower-loading torpedoes. But it's concealment is competitive and the 22,000 hitpoints (with SE) cannot be overstated.  It has the hitpoints of a Tier IX DD, heck more than some T5 cruisers she will routinely face. That's 5200 more than the 16800 the T61 has. Comfortably more than most Tier VIIIs.

In a meta where you are spotted more often than not, a Z39 can survive the early exchanges and have plenty of HP left to survive to the endgame where it, like all DD, becomes more valuable with capping and torpedo attacks being much easier as the teams are whittled down.  In a DD, survival = winning, and Z39 is a survivor. Very competent, but not exciting.

Both are good. The T61 is more flashy and fun, but the Z39 is just as good, in a tougher more workmanlike way. It is also a top tier bully more often, due to its favourable MM.

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,136 battles

I found a happy medium Captain that I use with both T61 and T39. 

I can't express how good the 35% vigilance is on a German DD. I have never died by torpedoes with the T61 / Z39 due to the fact I can see them torps way out. On the T61 It's 2.82 vs 3.81 guaranteed detection of enemy torps. On the Z-39  3.12km vs 4.21km With this skill you can spot most ships and torpedoes equally. 

Not only will it help you survive torpedo attacks. Your ALLIES will love you when you can spot enemy torpedos (Or deep water torpedos) heading right toward them and have a 30+ second notice to react... So it's not only good for you, but you become a incredible support boat for your allies.

1 Priority Target

1 Preventive Maintenance 

2 Last Stand

2 Adrenaline Rush

3 Torpedo Armament

3 Demolition Expert

3 Vigilance (35% due to unique Commander)

4 Conceal Expert

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
2 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

There’s pros and cons to both ships.

Concealment is slightly better on the T61 or seems like it anyways

Z-39 has bigger caliber guns and has better pen but slower turret traverse

Both have useable torps and the hydro is good for cap contesting especially against a smoked enemy DD. If he’s smoked you can pop hydro, creep up on him, smoke up and take shots/launch torps chasing him out of cap

T-61 is a better trainer for your tier 9/10 German DD’s as it has the same caliber and feel guns

T-61 benefits from BFT whereas Z-39 doesn’t due to gun caliber. Tier 9/10 can make use of BFT also

If you are going to keep tier 8 DD Z-39 is a good trainer for this ship

I have both but my Z-39 feels slightly gimped due to Capt Pts use although it’s workable. The T-61suits the tier 9/10 Capt skills better

Sure someone else may be able to confirm some of this with more detailed info. Unfortunately I’m not in front of my system for that!

Both good ships mate but I prefer the T-61 for the Capt training and slightly more forgiving MM

Good luck with which ever you choose mate! o7

I think that this pretty much sums it up.

The T61 is a better trainer for high tier German DD captains because it has the smaller guns, similar to the tier 9-10 German DDs.  In truth, you can still stick your T9-10 captains into a Z-39, but know that certain skills won't function in the Z-39.

On a side note about premium DDs in general, one thing that's a little frustrating, though there's no easy solution (except one) for it.  And that's that high tier DDs usually have turrets that traverse fast enough to not require the Expert Marksman skill.  But when you put that same high tier captain into a lesser tier premium DD, many of those lesser tier premium DDs are low enough in tier that their turrets do traverse slowly enough to make the EM skill at least desirable.  About the only way I can see getting around this is to develop a second DD captain strictly for your lower tier premium DDs, if you have them, of course.  It stinks to put a 19 point Russian DD Khab or Grozzy captain into a Okhotnik, Gremmy, or Leningrad and be stuck with glacially slow traversing turrets.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,290 battles
15 hours ago, Crucis said:

About the only way I can see getting around this is to develop a second DD captain strictly for your lower tier premium DDs, if you have them, of course.  It stinks to put a 19 point Russian DD Khab or Grozzy captain into a Okhotnik, Gremmy, or Leningrad and be stuck with glacially slow traversing turrets.

Pretty much what I did. I use one capt for Ok, Grem, Lenin, and Kiev. Used another for my T9-10 Russky DDs when I still played them. 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,724 posts
4,523 battles

Z-39 requires you to play smart, it's not a plug and play boat. You need to know when to shoot and how to hit your targets. 

T-61 is....special to say the least.

[ICBM]
Members
323 posts
7,862 battles

T-61 nicely balanced.

Z-39 Suffers from Punk Rocker Syndrome...