You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArcDogRob

A sad day in FL: Mass-shooting at Gaming Tourney

171 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,977 battles

the news of people dying because of video games is always messy.(too soon to know why he started shooting,anyway).

when i was a kid,i heard rumours of people getting killed because of that tibia rpg game.

Edited by Cruxdei

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

the news of people dying because of video games is always messy.(too soon to know why he started shooting,anyway).

when i was a kid,i heard rumours of people getting killed because of that tibia rpg game.

Apparently the shooter lost.

Wasn't even one of those 'violent' games you hear getting blamed all the time for societies problems. From what I heard it was a bleeping Madden tournament.

Crazy.

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,977 battles
4 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Apparently the shooter lost.

Wasn't even one of those 'violent' games you hear getting blamed all the time for societies problems. From what I heard it was a bleeping Madden tournament.

Crazy.

now i'm fearing the ban games movements.i know this is crazy,but the world nowadays is not exactly sane too.

Edited by Cruxdei

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts

Heart wrenching, my prayers for the families, victims, and responders. 

[SIDE]
Members
1,331 posts

Having gone thru extensive ems  and  active shooter training I sympathize with the unarmed victims and their families but my thoughts and prayers go with the first responders putting themselves at risk in service of others.

Also, I encourage those who are able to exercise your rights and acquire a concealed carry permit. In my opinion better to have it and not need it than need it an not have it but I digress...

• Cool 15
  • Bad 4

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,977 battles
10 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Also, I encourage those who are able to exercise your rights and acquire a concealed carry permit. In my opinion better to have it and not need it than need it an not have it but I digress...

CCP was always a double edge sword,some people support it as a surprise reaction to mass shooters but some people fear it too,said shooter can use it too.

what i can say is...don't lose that right,fight for it,the number of deaths in usa is pretty small compared to my country,and here,the goverment encourage us to just accept the situation and give away our belongings to assailants.,basically,"we don't have an answer to your problem,so just give up".

you guys at least,bad or not,have a choice to defend yourself.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
1,636 posts
12,684 battles

My condolences to the families of the recently passed. I just hope, none of these people have to suffer the indignity of having their dead love one being used by a optimistic politician (regardless of party). On top of that the shooter killed himself, what a coward all around. RIP to the victims.

• Cool 2

[MORSV]
Members
28 posts
4,254 battles

I live about 20 miles from the Landing, and was just down the street for a bite when it happened. Heard the gunfire and called it in. Then made sure to keep the other customers at the restraunt inside. My heart goes out to everyone injured over a loss in a Madden game. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,214 battles

I have no words, upon reading this. Tragic.

[WORX]
Members
1,636 posts
12,684 battles

A Madden game ?? are you serious ? Ever since Al gore's wife gave us the video game rating system, you would believe the narrative that "SHOOTER" games makes the population crave violence over human life. Surprise the first dead are at a Madden game.

This news has made its way to Yahoo.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mass-shooting-reported-jacksonville-183605118.html

But we read it here first in WOWS. so thumps up

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

The shooting occurred during an esports tournament in which gamers competed by playing “Madden NFL 2019.” Based on video from the incident, the players were broadcasting their performances on Twitch, a live-streaming platform, when the gunshots began.

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,117 battles

You are the only one that can protect you, and your family from danger, the police are an after action force. The police can't and do not stop crime. The US Supreme Court has ruled, Police Have No Duty to Protect the General Public.

Edited by Markk9
  • Cool 4

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles
52 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Also, I encourage those who are able to exercise your rights and acquire a concealed carry permit. In my opinion better to have it and not need it than need it an not have it

I do have a concealed carry permit and I carry everywhere I go where I can legally carry. As stated above; "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

• Cool 3

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,764 battles

The news article I read said he was one of the competitors and had lost. He apparently shot the other players then himself......... Over a game...... What a freaking waste. 

I agree ReddNekk, I don't have a CCL, but here you can carry in your car and at work. The old saying is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 has always been my thinking. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Members
759 posts
3,958 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

CCP was always a double edge sword,some people support it as a surprise reaction to mass shooters but some people fear it too,said shooter can use it too.

what i can say is...don't lose that right,fight for it,the number of deaths in usa is pretty small compared to my country,and here,the goverment encourage us to just accept the situation and give away our belongings to assailants.,basically,"we don't have an answer to your problem,so just give up".

Thing is, a CHL only blocks law abiding people. Nothing would stop you from physically carrying where you're not supposed to, especially if you're going to do something highly illegal anyway. A CHL DOES give a law abiding citizen a chance, versus not.

That and in order to get a CHL, you need to get fingerprinted into AFIS and apply/renew with a valid address, which blocks any active criminals. Most states also apply harsher penalties for crimes committed with a CHL versus not (because the act of breaking the terms of the CHL in itself counts as a crime).

The notion of a mugger intentionally putting their prints in the database and then presenting a license that does not protect them from (and in fact heightens) criminal penalties has always been silly to me.

[ARP2]
Members
1,223 posts
3,566 battles

Political discussion, general discussion.

Pretty sure this thread will be deleted in short order.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,925 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

The shooter is going to "carry concealed" anyway - their aim is to commit mass murder, and violating laws concerning the ownership and carriage of firearms isn't going to bother them. What gets on my nerves is the whole concept of the "gun-free zone", another law/regulation that a potential mass-shooter is never going to obey and which only serves to corral unarmed victims into a confined area for the slaughter.

My condolences go to the families of the murdered.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[BBC]
Members
908 posts
12,239 battles

yes there are no gun free zones, only unarmed law abiding citizen zones who are then easy prey.  anyone going to commit murder is not concerned with a stupid law or a no gun sign,....

i carry my weapon as much as possible. still cringe when i go to a say a school sporting event, im sure my student would get expelled and me arrested if anyone noticed, so i dont risk it. ( i guess im just gonna have grab the kido and  run for it... at those.)

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
1,629 posts
9,884 battles
7 minutes ago, Hatework said:

Political discussion, general discussion.

Pretty sure this thread will be deleted in short order.

And rightly so. More gun crime, followed by thoughts and prayers, followed by advice to get a concealed carry permit without even a hint of irony or cynical derision that would be common in other countries.

As they say, ‘only in America’. 

On the broader topic, it is terribly sad that people decide to kill others over a game - that it was a non-violent game only makes it even more silly. Despite the gunfire, I don’t see WoWS as a particularly violent game, so I hope it doesn’t happen here too. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
4,950 posts
1,487 battles
3 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

And rightly so. More gun crime, followed by thoughts and prayers, followed by advice to get a concealed carry permit without even a hint of irony or cynical derision that would be common in other countries.

As they say, ‘only in America’. 

On the broader topic, it is terribly sad that people decide to kill others over a game - that it was a non-violent game only makes it even more silly. Despite the gunfire, I don’t see WoWS as a particularly violent game, so I hope it doesn’t happen here too. 

Yeah, of course it's fair to point out US vs other countries isn't a clear comparison. They have more non-firearm murder per population than some countries have murders per population of any type. As much as it pains me to say it, whilst mass shootings in the US haven;t lost the power to sadden me, (and i hope they never do), they no longer shock or surprise me. They're an every few months occurrence in the internet new stream.

[REVY]
Beta Testers
260 posts
1,680 battles

This stuff is becoming all too common. Unfortunately, the only thing that gets focused on is more gun control, which isn't the answer.