You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

What's the key to winning in ranked?

44 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
657 posts
664 battles

I'd like to wade into ranked this season, but I don't want to drag my team down. What is the biggest thing newbies screw up in ranked battles?

[ARGSY]
Members
5,868 posts
4,001 battles

Potential screwups:

Bringing a stock ship with a less than 10 point captain (you really do need concealment expert IMHO)

Not bringing the ship(s) you're best in.

Not bringing premium consumables

Not asking what the plan is (any basic plan is better than none)

Haring off on your own and getting blapped in the first two minutes.

Neglecting to finish off the weak (with so few ships in a team, kills are critical in this mode and kill-stealing is a good thing).

Taking stupid risks and getting greedy for unnecessary kills/caps when your side has the game sewn up.

Playing to save your star instead of playing to win from the start.

Not an exhaustive list.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 11

[5IN]
Members
1,787 posts
8,109 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Potential screwups:

Bringing a stock ship with a less than 10 point captain (you really do need concealment expert IMHO)

Not bringing the ship(s) you're best in.

Not bringing premium consumables

Haring off on your own and getting blapped in the first two minutes.

Neglecting to finish off the weak (with so few ships in a team, kills are critical in this mode and kill-securing is a good thing).

Taking stupid risks and getting greedy for unnecessary kills/caps when your side has the game sewn up.

Playing to save your star instead of playing to win from the start.

Not an exhaustive list.

FTFY :Smile_teethhappy:.  Good basic list for ranked newcomers.

B

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,681 posts
7,503 battles
13 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'd like to wade into ranked this season, but I don't want to drag my team down. What is the biggest thing newbies screw up in ranked battles?

Jump in , the waters fine great rewards till 10

Perseverance and luck for good teams.. rinse and repeat 3 or 400 times .. Maybe more .... good luck 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,868 posts
4,001 battles
1 minute ago, bassmasta76 said:

FTFY :Smile_teethhappy:.  Good basic list for ranked newcomers.

B

Oh yeah, I know. But some people stick to the more perjorative name, and I wanted them to be clear that it's acceptable behaviour here.

Also, @HMCS_Devilfish is correct; loss streaks can be brutal and a thick skin is required. Butcher low-tier bots in co-op if the losses are coming too often, then come back when your morale is boosted once more.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,229 posts
7,662 battles

Not hitting damage control when your only DoT is two fires or less.

Beta Testers
2,858 posts
4,095 battles

the key to winning ranked is  to not play ranked.

save your sanity,save your time,you win more in the long run.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[NGA-B]
Members
1,229 posts
7,662 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

the key to winning ranked is  to not play ranked.

save your sanity,save your time,you win more in the long run.

Eh, I'd say that Steel makes it a bit more worth the time and effort since the good rewards aren't just concentrated at the end like in previous seasons. The system of more consistent rewards makes it feel less frustrating in my opinion and setbacks aren't quite as frustrating as they would appear.

[-V1-]
Members
140 posts
4,479 battles

Last year was my first time in ranked battle and it was highly enjoyable with great team players who always seemed to develop a plan before the battle started.    This year the exact opposite.   Usually, when I ask for the plan only nonsense is given, or outright nasty comments.   Granted I'm not a great player, but teamwork helps everyone on the team and I simply have not seen that occur yet this year.    This sad trait seems to have bled over from recent Random Battle play and it is not good for the game.

[LOU1]
Members
2,898 posts
8,004 battles

As far as a plan, I have taken to asking which of two options, like, "ac or ab?"

Take a break after two losses to avoid playing tilted or extending a losing streak.

Remember it is just another game mode (I have trouble with mastering this part).

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
7,373 battles

Patience, focus fire, awareness, and aim.

Edited by Th3KrimzonD3mon

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,705 posts
3,468 battles

Do everything you can to save a star. Ranked has been dictated as the mode where you are only playing for yourself. The crowd that has done this is why we ended up with Clan Battles, where team work is the name of the game, because they spit venom on allowing team work.

So you have to play against 7 enemies and 6 people on your "team."

First of all avoid dying early.

Second do your best to farm damage.

Third cap when you can, even if jusy an assist, and especially important, get shots on ships capping against you. That's a massive bump.

An average game with 5 cap defense flags will secure #1 on your team usually.

Don't ever sacrafice yourself to save your team mates, or use consumables that help them and not yourself. You cannot rely on them to do anything positive with your efforts. It's best to help yourself.

I loathe ranked and it's toxic design.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 4

Beta Testers
2,858 posts
4,095 battles
27 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Eh, I'd say that Steel makes it a bit more worth the time and effort since the good rewards aren't just concentrated at the end like in previous seasons. The system of more consistent rewards makes it feel less frustrating in my opinion and setbacks aren't quite as frustrating as they would appear.

WG said that steel and coal will be available in other ways,besides ranked and clan battles. flint,black and salem(lol no) can wait.

and people downvote me without even debating,i'm not lying,ranked is frustrating and time consuming,more than random,random will stay in this game forever,i'm not in a hurry to finish "random".

• Cool 2

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,579 battles
26 minutes ago, dbw86 said:

Last year was my first time in ranked battle and it was highly enjoyable with great team players who always seemed to develop a plan before the battle started.    This year the exact opposite.   Usually, when I ask for the plan only nonsense is given, or outright nasty comments.   Granted I'm not a great player, but teamwork helps everyone on the team and I simply have not seen that occur yet this year.    This sad trait seems to have bled over from recent Random Battle play and it is not good for the game.

The thing with asking for a plan is it means you don't actually understand the strengths of your and your teams ships vs. the enemy's.  The only really question is where your dds are going and if anyone is going to hang back at the spawn cap on a map like Hotspot.  Otherwise you need to understand if your ship is best for attacking a cap or kiting the enemy attack on a cap.  Then take up the appropriate position on the map once the enemy is spotted.

[BNKR]
Members
657 posts
664 battles
10 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

2 of these 3: Luck, persistence, and skill.

I'll be relying on luck and persistence. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,366 posts
17,840 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Don't worry about screwing anything up, just hop in and play. I have seen great teams and terrible teams, don't sweat it any. I think the best bit of advice is know when to quit playing. The low ranks are easy and you can make good progress. After Rank 10, things really start to suck. Just try and be objective about your ability and when you see yourself at the bottom of the scoreboard more often than not, let it go and move on. 

Members
40 posts
4,294 battles
54 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

100% this. Most of the times I have lost badly, it has been on a team with no plan or multiple players who won't stick with it. #1 tip: just talk to each other.

[LOU1]
Members
2,898 posts
8,004 battles

My best results are when I play as one of 7 on a team against a team of 7.  Sometimes I have to delay a flank solo to buy time for team to get in position.  Other times, I distract enemies to let the clock tick on a cap advantage.  If I can pull two ships out of battle to chase me, that also works well.  Calling targets and focusing on targets called by team mates to get enemy guns out of the battle as quickly as possible.  Try to notice the non-team players because they will have to be compensated for in one way or another.

Points win the battle, not cowardice or heroics.  Try to play smart (another part I still have to master).

[LOU1]
Members
2,898 posts
8,004 battles
3 minutes ago, andarragh21 said:

100% this. Most of the times I have lost badly, it has been on a team with no plan or multiple players who won't stick with it. #1 tip: just talk to each other.

The scariest battles are when chat is quiet at the beginning.  Even after suggesting a plan...

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
657 posts
664 battles
3 minutes ago, luckyhoho said:

asking for plan = blacklist + instant mute 

Good policy. Not communicating seems like the best way to win at anything. 

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
168 posts
13,871 battles
4 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Good policy. Not communicating seems like the best way to win at anything. 

if you think a plan could make up what braindead takes then you are deadly wrong

[BNKR]
Members
657 posts
664 battles
Just now, luckyhoho said:

if you think a plan could make up what braindead takes then you are deadly wrong

I feel like I'm not reading this sentence correctly. Are you saying everyone but you is too stupid to play ranked?

[CUTE]
Members
5,169 posts
3,436 battles
44 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

As far as a plan, I have taken to asking which of two options, like, "ac or ab?"

Here is the problem: you should already know what is supposed to happen. No "plan" should truly be needed.

For example..On a map like Hotspot you grab either A or B (spawn depending) and then C is contested usually by DD and Radar for island lulz. If you dont know that is how the map is played it's probably not the mode for you. If you need to be told A/C when you spawned in the North, just wow.

The biggest issue I've seen is people not looking at the minimap and counting the ships that show up at caps then extrapolating from there. A Gap in heads up gameplay.

• Cool 2