Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Premium French Battleships

16 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,192 posts
7,594 battles

At the present, I foresee two candidates for premium French BBs

The first (at tier VII) is the long-hoped-for modernized Strasbourg. If she does make an appearance, I predict that she will get a reduced reload, great accuracy, an enhanced secondary armament that mixes the excellent 130mm gun with the more modern 100mm gun, increased speed (and possibly the speed boost consumable), and the MBRB consumable. I don't see much of any other way that it could compete with the Lyon because let's face it, shotgun dispersion or not, she has some of the best AA at her tier, fantastic maneuverability (27 knots with a turning circle of 700m), and nothing quite compares to a broadside of sixteen guns; seriously, she was by far my favorite tier VII BB.

With the introduction of the Jean Bart, there's just now one more of the Richelieu-class left to be put in the game. Personally, I'm going to hold out hope that we see the Clemenceau at tier VIII. Outside it being used to introduce the concept of a Main Battery Reload Booster to the main game (even if the French cruisers were the first to officially grab it), Jean Bart kind of annoys me since I was hoping to see it as a premium Richelieu that I could use in Hermes. Given it's change to tier IX, I find it highly unlikely (but hope springs eternal) And while Gascogne is a possibility, I prefer the turret arrangement on the Dunkerque and Richelieu. From what I read, Clemenceau was similar to the Richelieu and Jean Bart in main battery arrangement, but it had a slightly modified secondary battery with four 152mm triple turrets; two of these were arranged superfiring towards the rear (like Alsace) and two were wing turrets (like Musashi) and they also carried six more of the 100mm dual-purpose turrets (for a total of twelve). However, this came at the cost of less armor protection for the secondary turrets and reduced aviation facilities. For balancing factors: maybe reduce her main battery range and lose the speed boost.

Thoughts?

Edited by JediMasterDraco
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,656 posts
9,969 battles

I think with Dunkerque, Gascogne and the pending Jean Bart and Bourgogne the French BB line is pretty well served with premiums. If another were needed a T7 would fill a gap and I'd go with Strasbourg.

The cruiser line on the other hand with only De Grasse looks far more in need of help.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
25 minutes ago, mofton said:

I think with Dunkerque, Gascogne and the pending Jean Bart and Bourgogne the French BB line is pretty well served with premiums. If another were needed a T7 would fill a gap and I'd go with Strasbourg.

The cruiser line on the other hand with only De Grasse looks far more in need of help.

Yeah, I'd say that the French probably need more premium cruisers and DDs than BBs at this point.  I will say though that a tier 7 Strasbourg, which I take it would be a seriously buffed Dunkerque would be a very nice addition.

It's also worth noting that a tier 8 premium French DD is in production right now, Le Terrible.  And there are some CC videos out on it, though I'm not sure if any of them are game play videos.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,176 posts
2,029 battles

At this point France is set for premium BBs, but eventually I'd guess Strasbourg would turn up at tier VII.

DDs France will have two of soon™ enough for now especially given they lack a line to go with it and the DDs already do a good job of representing what French DDs will likely be (assuming the line is made of Contre-Torpilluers and not Torpilleurs d'escadre)

What France really needs is a premium heavy cruiser.

De Grasse is great, but she's a light cruiser and those only go up to tier VI for French CLs.

France really needs a heavy cruiser to train captains for higher tier (VII+) cruisers in the line, and they lack that. Italy will have a similar problem seeing as WG went with CLs as premiums.

That being said out of completed CLs France really has only tier V-VI options as French CA's before Algérie really weren't that good... But they do have some paper designs left that could go higher...

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
7,946 battles

Personally - as unconventional as this may seem - I rather see them actually be part of a branch off of the French BB's. One that generally follows the Dun/Richilieu design and all, and another maybe more consistent with a slightly more conventional arrangement. 

So as example, Stras at tier 7, Rich at 8, Clem (while the same class was ordered later and different so in her own way can be viewed as a separate class) possibly tweaked at 9 and ending in Republique, at 10 (2 turrets, based on Gascogne, still kinda oddball), . While the "primary" line goes Lyon unknown ship, Alsace, Bourgogne or "Super Alsace". That way you have the line that's a little more traditional BB, and the one that's a bit different (much as I love Dun not sure how to describe it), as opposed to what I see where you go from a mostly standard BB, to Dun on steroids, to a standard BB, to the weird child of Dun on Steroids and a standard BB. 

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,928 battles

bourgogne is still a weird ship for now,we don't know her future for sure yet.

strasbourg is a dunkking with better armor and more modern,so it's obviously tier7.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,192 posts
7,594 battles

My personal theory on the Jean Bart and the Bourgogne is that they will be replacing Alsace and Republique in order to give the French line a slightly more cohesive feel ("small", but high-performance guns that use weight of fire to make up for their size). I think Republique will go the way of WoT's "Death Star" and become a premium exclusive to those who already have it. In which case I'll need to do some commander re-specing.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles
14 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

My personal theory on the Jean Bart and the Bourgogne is that they will be replacing Alsace and Republique in order to give the French line a slightly more cohesive feel ("small", but high-performance guns that use weight of fire to make up for their size). I think Republique will go the way of WoT's "Death Star" and become a premium exclusive to those who already have it. In which case I'll need to do some commander re-specing.

It would be unprecedented to withdraw two tech tree ships many months after their introduction. If the new ships come in, there will have to be some sort of weird high tech-tree split, branching off at Richelieu as an upgrade or as a sidegrade from Alsace.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,564 posts
14,005 battles

When the 2 upcoming French Premium BBs are done, French BBs will have as much Premium BB selection as USN & IJN.  They'll be good to go for a long time.  Some other lines could use extra attention.  The BB Lines are fairly represented in Premiums already, esp. when the VI German and 2 French Premium BBs are done.

French Cruisers have only 1 Premium, VI De Grasse

RN CLs got 0 Premiums after Belfast got yanked.

Pan Asia (VI Huanghe), Pan South America (VII NdJ), Commonwealth Cruisers (VI Perth) each got 1 Premium.

French DDs have 1, VI Aigle.

Poland still has 1, VII Blyzkawica, but IIRC she's going to be folded into the EU.

The rest have 2 or more Premiums in a single line, one as high as 10 (RU Cruisers).

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,928 battles
38 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

why replace alsace?i can understand republique since her gun layout is the most weird of the tech tree(gascogne is premium),jean bart might become free exp or coal/steel,but if she comes to replace something it will be like this

richelieu >>> jean bart >>>> alsace. somehow we already  have a premium "republique",the gascogne,just buff some things so the owners of republique can keep their captain builds.

Edited by Cruxdei

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,564 posts
14,005 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

why replace alsace?i can understand republique since her gun layout is the most weird of the tech tree(gascogne is premium),jean bart might become free exp or coal/steel,but if she comes to replace something it will be like this

richelieu >>> jean bart >>>> alsace. somehow we already  have a premium "republique",the gascogne,just buff some things so the owners of republique can keep their captain builds.

They are never going to replace these well established Tech Tree ships.  They have never pulled Tech Tree Ships since this game launched.

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,928 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

They are never going to replace these well established Tech Tree ships.  They have never pulled Tech Tree Ships since this game launched.

oh i don't know,WG replaced so many tanks before,and even if the dev team is different,in the end,it's WG that say what will be done or not.

for now it's all a theory.i truly don't want jean bart to replace something.that tier10 french premium is still too weird.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,564 posts
14,005 battles
3 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

oh i don't know,WG replaced so many tanks before,and even if the dev team is different,in the end,it's WG that say what will be done or not.

for now it's all a theory.i truly don't want jean bart to replace something.that tier10 french premium is still too weird.

You are talking about WoT.  In WoWS they've never done anything of the sort, and this game is 1 month shy of being 3 years old from launch.

One of the things I heard the WoT guys do is adopting Gold Ammo and such, to the detriment of the game.  Veteran WoT players in other games, knowing I play WoWS, have asked if they implemented Gold Ammo for ships also.  The answer to them is a surprising "No."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,928 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You are talking about WoT.  In WoWS they've never done anything of the sort, and this game is 1 month shy of being 3 years old from launch.

One of the things I heard the WoT guys do is adopting Gold Ammo and such, to the detriment of the game.  Veteran WoT players in other games, knowing I play WoWS, have asked if they implemented Gold Ammo for ships also.  The answer to them is a surprising "No."

yes and both games are managed by WG,i can understand wot aproach,the deathstar was pure cancer,for example,the WTFE100 was god. there is no need for gold ammo in wows since HE already do a good job of damaging no matter the armor(not all ships of course).

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,564 posts
14,005 battles
2 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

yes and both games are managed by WG,i can understand wot aproach,the deathstar was pure cancer,for example,the WTFE100 was god. there is no need for gold ammo in wows since HE already do a good job of damaging no matter the armor(not all ships of course).

I never played WoT, but everything I hear from the veteran players, even some of you guys that are around here, makes it seem like an amusing, painful experience.  I guess some things WG does that transfer over to WoWS, but some of those things thankfully have not crossed over.

Beta Testers
2,817 posts
3,928 battles
11 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I never played WoT, but everything I hear from the veteran players, even some of you guys that are around here, makes it seem like an amusing, painful experience.  I guess some things WG does that transfer over to WoWS, but some of those things thankfully have not crossed over.

Wot is....unique,i did stop playing it for quite some time but,the game is somehow  more complex than wows.

the gold ammo might help,but the player need a great knowledge of the tanks  armor layout to hit weakspots,same way for ships,except the weakspots are very small or really big.

some tanks are designed in game to stop even gold ammo,my favorite and perhaps best tier8 tank was the emil 1,her turret is designed in such a way,that the angled section is an instant autobounce to maybe 99% of the guns in game.you are literally a wall if you crest a hill while hulldown,add that to the insane gun depression and you can tank ANYTHING except arty shells,yeah, have fun with your gold ammo.

some tanks are straight up pay to win,i would say chrysler K,that tank created a big riot at wot's forum,her armor can stop anything but her gun is pretty bad,forcing you to use gold ammo,negating the premium bonus of credit income.

it's just me but wot lost it's appeal for me,after the end of global chat,thanks to politically correct helicopter parents,the game lost that "sports" aura,yeah some people started throwing insults and crap,but for me,that made the game more exciting,to make your enemy swallow everything he just said after oyu defeat his tank,the feeling is incredible. of course one of the big reasons too was because the teammembers would relay in global chat the position of allies,MOST OF THE TIME,it was because the allied tank was doing very poorly,so that's how the team had their revenge.

Edited by Cruxdei

Sign in to follow this