You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CAPTMUDDXX

Ranked! Why do you run so far away CAs and BBs?

14 comments in this topic

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,433 battles

I am not a very good DD player but I have tier 8 DDs and decided to give ranked another try. A few win/lose observations.

Hey DD cap X and spot then help at Y. DD does so Caps X spots looks to Y and finds 5 friendlies fleeing 2 enemy and 2 friendlies far off vs 5 enemy at Z turn run and get sunk and all 7 crying for DD help. Loser move. Winner move though if enemy does that unless of course 2 or 3 friendlies chase them and get slaughtered!

Hey DD cap X we will back you up. DD caps X Enemy is pushing X and 6 friendlies have scattered like roaches avoiding contact and staying away from caps X Y and Z. Loser move. Winner move if enemy does it. Then of course friendlies pursue and get slaughtered while demanding DD cap X Y and Z.

Wake up guys stay together, focus enemy down 1 by 1 and Cap instead of chasing runners. Got 2 caps Defend them don't go for 3 and don't chase runners focus fire on them 1 at a time!

• Cool 2

Members
588 posts

Similar experience, used Mass at first then it started getting harder. Switched to Yuelang.  Then really could not remember all the Yuelang tricks. So after one game switched to HSF Harekaze with torpedo reload and nothing but wins to 15.  I now have Yueyang with Radar, Radar mod, DC mod, no smoke. 

Played both as basically a CA. Torp soup and scouting made the difference. 

But yes there were a few teams that got entire game coaching. Not all though:)

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles

@CAPTMUDDXX   Sometimes, it's expecting too much from the noobs you may get stuck with in Ranked to get any decent tactical thought and focus fire, etc.  Some noobs just think that they'll play Ranked like it's just 7v7 randoms.  Consistently winning players understand that Ranked is not 7v7 randoms.  It's more like clan battles without any comms or strict clan structure.  Good players can work around this fairly successfully.  And even weaker players can manage to work with it if they follow and support a good player.  But when you get a bunch of weaker players each going their own way, it all falls apart against an enemy team that does have a clue.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

Members
3,412 posts
6,072 battles

I will try and be as close as I can without getting insta-deleted.  If I am farther away it will generally be for the same thing - trying to repair and stay alive longer while still dealing damage or moving in a direction so I can turn without exposing the broadside at a distance of 10 KM.  Depending on where everyone is - that may take me father than I want but at least in the Richelieu  - I have good range and will still deal damage.   All of the above is VERY situational...

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles

If everyone played like you ask them to, this game would have been a lot more competitive 

41 minutes ago, Crucis said:

@CAPTMUDDXX   Sometimes, it's expecting too much from the noobs you may get stuck with in Ranked to get any decent tactical thought and focus fire, etc.  Some noobs just think that they'll play Ranked like it's just 7v7 randoms.  Consistently winning players understand that Ranked is not 7v7 randoms.  It's more like clan battles without any comms or strict clan structure.  Good players can work around this fairly successfully.  And even weaker players can manage to work with it if they follow and support a good player.  But when you get a bunch of weaker players all going their own way, it all falls apart against an enemy team that does have a clue.

This is the only explanation which is the reality. Print and paste it next to the  monitor and it won't be frustrating when teams do things which makes less sense. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,856 battles
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

friendlies have scattered like roaches avoiding contact and staying away from caps

There is nothing more frustrating and at the same time hilarious than seeing all your "support" trying to hide behind the same island while complaining that they are losing the game because their DDs dump-trucked. Good luck @CAPTMUDDXX!

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 hour ago, sansfaille said:

If everyone played like you ask them to, this game would have been a lot more competitive 

This is the only explanation which is the reality. Print and paste it next to the  monitor and it won't be frustrating when teams do things which makes less sense. 

The one issue with the whole "weaker player following and supporting a better player" thing is how to identify the better players.  If you're a forumite, you might recognize some player names and remember their stat sigs and know that those are good players.  Or you might remember some of the unicum clan tags, like ZR, OPG, CUTE, and so on.  That's probably the easiest, since you don't have to remember specific names, because you can probably put some faith in unicums clans having rather high acceptance standards and hope that any member of a unicums clan will be a "better" player.  I tend to watch for these clan tags and try to support those players if on my team, or try to get my team to focus down those players when they're on the enemy team.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,433 battles

@Umikami @Crucis Just my observation. There are credible instructions/request given at general quarters and it initially appears that those are understood and complied with. Then as soon as DD gets a cap most of the team goes full whacko instead of what they stated they would do! Skilled, Rookies whatever makes no difference but at least a win comes when red team goes more whacko than mine!

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I am not a very good DD player but I have tier 8 DDs and decided to give ranked another try. A few win/lose observations.

Hey DD cap X and spot then help at Y. DD does so Caps X spots looks to Y and finds 5 friendlies fleeing 2 enemy and 2 friendlies far off vs 5 enemy at Z turn run and get sunk and all 7 crying for DD help. Loser move. Winner move though if enemy does that unless of course 2 or 3 friendlies chase them and get slaughtered!

Hey DD cap X we will back you up. DD caps X Enemy is pushing X and 6 friendlies have scattered like roaches avoiding contact and staying away from caps X Y and Z. Loser move. Winner move if enemy does it. Then of course friendlies pursue and get slaughtered while demanding DD cap X Y and Z.

Wake up guys stay together, focus enemy down 1 by 1 and Cap instead of chasing runners. Got 2 caps Defend them don't go for 3 and don't chase runners focus fire on them 1 at a time!

This seems to be the norm Random battle in a DD, Ranked May be the same

if I’m in my Yeuyang I’ll sometimes ask for support although I’ve given up on that for the most part 

It goes like this

I'm asked to cap C and they’ll back me up, I look 2 Cruisers 2 BBs in I go, low detection and all just waiting for Radar or enemy DD to spot me,  spotted by DD and my buddies start shooting about the same time there CAs and BBs start shooting at me, I pop smoke...if I’m radared.. I’m dead pretty quick

but interestingly when I look at my friendly players they’ve  usually turned away and booting it outa there, I don’t know why .. CAUSE THERE ALL SHOOTING AT ME ! leaving me to knife fight the other DD by myself with my deepwater Torps useless against another DD

next game ... rise and repeat, of course it’s not always like this but it is the Norm,

take the Cap, hold the Cap

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Umikami @Crucis Just my observation. There are credible instructions/request given at general quarters and it initially appears that those are understood and complied with. Then as soon as DD gets a cap most of the team goes full whacko instead of what they stated they would do! Skilled, Rookies whatever makes no difference but at least a win comes when red team goes more whacko than mine!

Ya know, I don't disagree.  Let's face it.  The start of battle plans, even if followed to the letter, will only get you through the opening phase (first 5 min or so) of the battle.  And it is entirely possible that your team can blow apart and each go its own way.  IMO, this is where someone with some common sense needs to step up and try to give some strong suggestions, such as "now, let's move towards A cap and focus on the enemy Montana", as well as using the F3 (target this ship) key.  If no one says a thing, things can start to fall apart.  So, IMO, the best way to try to keep your team a little more focused is to step up and provide some common sense leadership.  Nothing too complex.  And try not to come off as being too bossy.  Just make simple, easy to understand and follow suggestions, and use the F3 key to try to get team mates focused on the weakest enemy ships.  In my experience, most people will focus pretty well on F3 call outs, because if they're paying even the slightest attention to chat, they'll see the F3 call out and instinctively check out the called out enemy ship.  And anyone with a sliver of common sense will see that the called out enemy ship is badly hurt (if the person using the F3 key makes good calls) and will know to focus that ship.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,433 battles

@Crucis I stick around after my demise and do just that but it is usually to late or met with your dead STHU! 

Members
505 posts
3,477 battles

The thing I hate is the not-so-wise players dictating the initial strategy...and shooting down any other counter ideas with extreme prejudice.  Almost always, the whole plan is devised with what works best for them, and not the team or even a win. 

Some recent examples:

1. The DD that calls out a cap and then bails on it, leaves the cap unspotted even though the team is ready to support it, and goes on ill-advised torp runs behind far islands...with smoke. 

2. The CA/CL that calls out a strategy and then suddenly and without notice, heads opposite of it...even though the DD needs support...and attempts to farm damage unrelated to the cap. 

3. The BB that calls a cap and then proceeds to move in way that they cannot support it and are out of the battle for extended durations.

4. The CV that claims they are familiar and far superior to the red CV...then loses 64 planes to the red's 15...even though we had far superior AA ships.  And, the only impact they have is getting so out of position that they get murdered by BB AP. 

5. My personal favorite, the player who pretends to be AFK for a bit so they can figure out the safest place to be to farm damage and save a star.  They are almost always the last one left, and the only thing more in abundance than their health bar is their negative remarks about the team.

I've kinda come to the realization that the true ranked "carry players" are those who can perceive and predict these stellar examples and adjust accordingly.   

• Cool 2

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles
1 hour ago, Uber_Ghost said:

The thing I hate is the not-so-wise players dictating the initial strategy...and shooting down any other counter ideas with extreme prejudice.  Almost always, the whole plan is devised with what works best for them, and not the team or even a win. 

Some recent examples:

1. The DD that calls out a cap and then bails on it, leaves the cap unspotted even though the team is ready to support it, and goes on ill-advised torp runs behind far islands...with smoke. 

2. The CA/CL that calls out a strategy and then suddenly and without notice, heads opposite of it...even though the DD needs support...and attempts to farm damage unrelated to the cap. 

3. The BB that calls a cap and then proceeds to move in way that they cannot support it and are out of the battle for extended durations.

4. The CV that claims they are familiar and far superior to the red CV...then loses 64 planes to the red's 15...even though we had far superior AA ships.  And, the only impact they have is getting so out of position that they get murdered by BB AP. 

5. My personal favorite, the player who pretends to be AFK for a bit so they can figure out the safest place to be to farm damage and save a star.  They are almost always the last one left, and the only thing more in abundance than their health bar is their negative remarks about the team.

I've kinda come to the realization that the true ranked "carry players" are those who can perceive and predict these stellar examples and adjust accordingly.   

Hell, I see stuff like that in Random too. And in Ranked as in Random, all you can hope for is getting a team that aint totally clueless. My philosophy is to just do my best and hope that everyone else on my team do the same.

Edited by ReddNekk