You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Ranked. What Would YOU Do???

29 comments in this topic

Members
155 posts

Coming from almost 10,000 battles in tanks, I am finding WOWS a much much better game in general and I haven't really played much tanks since I started this a couple of months ago now.  I think this will be my go to game going forward.  I have a Mass, Roma, and Alabama and figured I'd give ranked a shot. It doesn't count for anything and I can maybe get some rank rewards as a bonus. But, after one day, I'm at rank 18, and facing having to stop at rank 16. This 2 tier ranked battles system is dumb. Why not just split the season in 2 with the ability to rank out in both T8s and T10s separately? 

I'm sitting on almost 1 million convertible XP and 50 million credits. I had a crazy idea of free XP'ing a T10 ship and giving it a go beyond rank 16. What do you think? Crazy? I was thinking maybe a Yamato since I have Musashi and I'm already familiar with the ship. 

• Cool 1

[JUICE]
Members
814 posts
6,369 battles

I would not do it just to play ranked. It is a very different meta in ranked than it is in randoms. Tier ten ranked can turn into a very expensive, salty grind. Plus you would have no experience playing the ship. You "could" just end up being an XP pinata for the other team.

The choice is yours...............

Members
1,107 posts
7,242 battles

Ranked is... caustic and at this point .. BORING... organized play has been all about T10 for too many sessions now, so mnay of us that have been beating our heads up against T10 for the past 6 months are tired of it...

But you go on.. and SPEND that resource on a T10, maybe even dig into your POCKET for more cash to fuel it... I assume that is why WG is doing what they are... but I would urge them to look at the effect...

have fun!

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,868 battles

What I'd  do is accept that I couldn't go further than rank 16 this season. Low experience and none with tier 10 competitive play isn't a good combo. For you or your team

But people do what they want...

If you're gonna do it Yammie is prob your best shot. It's a back line sniper anyway and you're familiar with Mushy. Being out of position with Yammie isn't nearly as fatal because of her range and accuracy.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,420 battles

@General_Lee_Miserable Do it but be prepared to be ridiculed if you do poorly. Pay no attention to the naysayers! Do whatever you want whenever you want!

@xXxRCADDICT I too am a realist but I find here that realism is naught but a pipe dream. One realism here though is that there are many naysayers here who delight in deriding any idea by anyone unless it suits them and offers an advantage to themselves!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[HYDRO]
Members
1,316 posts
3,668 battles

In my opinion gauge the rewards, the  signals you will have to use, especially in Tier X. Add to that losing credits if you don't have a permanent camo. Then consider your skill level and keep in mind you may need quite a few battles to rank out. 

To me skipping to Tier X Ranked won't be of much benefit.

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,767 battles
56 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Coming from almost 10,000 battles in tanks, I am finding WOWS a much much better game in general and I haven't really played much tanks since I started this a couple of months ago now.  I think this will be my go to game going forward.  I have a Mass, Roma, and Alabama and figured I'd give ranked a shot. It doesn't count for anything and I can maybe get some rank rewards as a bonus. But, after one day, I'm at rank 18, and facing having to stop at rank 16. This 2 tier ranked battles system is dumb. Why not just split the season in 2 with the ability to rank out in both T8s and T10s separately? 

I'm sitting on almost 1 million convertible XP and 50 million credits. I had a crazy idea of free XP'ing a T10 ship and giving it a go beyond rank 16. What do you think? Crazy? I was thinking maybe a Yamato since I have Musashi and I'm already familiar with the ship. 

IMHO just do the tier 8 part of the Ranked season and see how you feel at Rank 16. If you have enjoyed it, make you decision then. I actually had a good time this season but not going to bother with the tier 10 part of it. If you want to invest actual money to skip up the tiers, go for it. I would advise caution, tier 10 is a snorefest of epic proportion and an expensive tier to play. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles

Well, I did my grind to rank 15 like I do pretty much every ranked season, I'll live with the commemorative flag for 15, and avoid the special tier 10 stupidity. My last tier 8 game was already infected with it, so I'm guessing it's only gonna get worse from here on out.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

First congrats on migrating from tanks, same thing happened to me.  I have over 26k battles in tanks, with experience across all vehicle classes all the way into T10 meta.  Still play tanks occasionally.  I also have good amount of experience in this game, having ranked out once and spending most of my games in high tiers.

Back to your question: ranking out will turn into ugly grind for you, the closer you get to rank 1 the worse it will get.  You will need more stars to progress, you will no longer get a bonus star for getting the next rank (all star placeholders will be empty), and you will be losing more battles.  If you chose to play Yamato, expect to be focused heavily by players that really know what they are doing.  Choosing a wrong place to position might work past rank 10, but after rank 5 it’s going to  be a sure ticket to the bottom in no time.  It will be a lot of back and forth for someone with couple of month experience, so you have to manage your expectations.  You may not be able to reach rank 1 after 1000+ games, don’t be frustrated if you spend all that money and don’t get what you want.

<edit> I left the economy considerations out of this post, because I assume someone who has money to get Yamato in your case is expected to invest into permanent camouflage and premium time.  If you don’t do this, you will have additional issues with bleeding credits.

Edited by Ramsalot

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Unfortunately this scenario is the exact situation that WG abuses for short term gain... You spend the money to convert XP, move up to tier X because it's that or don't play ranked anymore... play a bit... lose interest and regret it. But they already have your money so they win because "it was your choice." 

I don't mind tier X play but what I will say is that it's an acquired taste. It takes some time to get used to it... 

If you have the disposable income then whatever dude... help yourself- but if you were a buddy of mine I'd try to talk you out of it. 

Edited by _ENO_

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
162 posts
1,527 battles

I'd recommend against doing that.  Play the 8s.  If you max out, then go back to co-op / randoms and take what you learned and practice on those skills.

That was my plan, anyway.  After years and years of WoT (console, but still same premise), I saw waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people speed their way to X and end up wrecking teams in a situation where one mistake costs you your vehicle.  And then the team is short-handed.

That can happen at 8, as well, but not quite as potently.  

Just my 2 cents.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Depends, are you ready for that level of play? You hide your stats which doesn't happen unless you consciously toggle them hidden so my guess is you're not yet ready. Maybe wait a season or two. You have a lot of learning curve to get through if you've only been playing a few months.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles
2 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

What do you think?

I think it's amusing that every high tier ship you've mentioned is a premium; how far have you progressed grinding silver ships? You are obviously a wallet warrior, and there is nothing wrong with that, but top end ranked can be quite toxic. Sometimes it's better to have more experience, but it is your life so do what makes you happy. Just remember the warnings you have received here from other players who have ground their way to the top tiers, as the experience you have may not be all that enjoyable.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,731 battles

TBH. If all OP has are premium ships, they are exactly the kind of players I don't want to be on my team, ranked or otherwise. 

• Cool 1

Members
587 posts

Watch the Yamato videos.   I like Flamu, IChaseGaming, EarlGrey. 

Play Coop. 

Then watch the videos again. 

Go play. 

My sense is that regardless of what we say you are going to push ahead so you might as well do it right.  Yamato is beyond boring but it is easy.  No you cannot do a secondary build.  If it doesn't work go back to Random and you can work on the Legendary/Unique mod.  Also you will want to work on the Yamamoto series? which gives you a unique Commander with slightly increased BB Captain skills. 

[ENDVR]
Members
367 posts
5,189 battles

Three factors...

1) Your monthly gaming budget.  If you feel that tossing $75-$100 at something that might disappoint you is something you can shrug your shoulders at, move to item 2.

2) Handling disappointment.  Many players do not currently like Tier 10 play (I am not among them) and you may feel the same. If you are okay with the chance of not liking the gameplay and either expect to work at it or give it up, move to item 3.

3) Desire for ranked play.  Ranked play this season is generally an exercise in herding cats and putting up with caustic remarks that can hamper success (despite the universal desire to win) interspersed with the occasional overall smooth match.  If your skin is thick enough, you know ways to get people quickly pointed back in the right direction, or are notoriously lucky with getting good matchmaking, by now you have likely decided.

With all of these possiblle negatives, I’m still having a blast.  If you decide to do it, make sure you do your research. Many mechanica such as angling and penetration translate, but yiu may be surprised with what ships simply click with you.  Fxp a Yamato only to find you needed just five more games to determine you actually didn’t like the Musashi/Yamato playstyle can be a real kick in the pants.

Either way, much of the decision making will be reminiscent of WoT and I wish you luck in either regard.

If me, I’d not do it and use this season as an opportunity to do a ton of research.  Budget constraints being my main reason as I’m not prepared to spend that sort of money on a month’s gameplay-worth of a guess.  If you’re trying to do well and open to teamwork, worrying if you’re going to piss off your team should not be a consideration since you’re already trying to do right by them.

Members
1,063 posts
6,148 battles

Just got out of a ranked match where our BB started team killing from the start. He did it all the way up to the end, too. And we had a chance to win the match except for his team kill tactics at the end. What a sorry piece of excrement. He should be banned, not just pink.  

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles
5 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Ranked is... caustic and at this point .. BORING... organized play has been all about T10 for too many sessions now, so mnay of us that have been beating our heads up against T10 for the past 6 months are tired of it...

Man, I hear that! It seems like everything anymore revolves around tier 10. It's like WG has forgotten that there's 9 other tiers. I don't find tier 10 battles boring, to me it's a ordeal and not fun.

Members
155 posts
3 hours ago, chewonit said:

TBH. If all OP has are premium ships, they are exactly the kind of players I don't want to be on my team, ranked or otherwise. 

I learned quickly in tanks that premium vehicles were the optimal thing to drive when they started to make them as good or better than tech tree counterparts. Why? WG doesn't nerf them. You can grind to a tank/ship for hundreds of battles, only for WG to arbitrarily make it near useless in one patch. Premium vehicles have an expectation of consistency that I'll gladly pay for,  rather than waste my time on something that is completely unpredictable and subject to WGs whims.  I also don't have to worry about credit income with premium vehicles.  I have 16 ships currently from tier 3 to tier 8 and none are tech tree ships and I'm very happy with that. That includes the Musashi and the Nelson. If I do not choose to get a T10 ship for ranked, I'll get the Kronshtadt. Yeah, I'm a wallet warrior, but this is my hobby. I own a business and live very modestly so I can dump money into things I deem fun. Being single with no kids helps too :-)

In response to the person who noticed my stats were hidden. Yup. I learned a few things in tanks that have resulted in my ships stats never being publicly available. 1) If you suck, people will tell you that you suck. 2) If you are awesome, you get focused in game. 3) If you are are awesome but have an off game or 3, refer to #1.  A game should be a game and not have those stressers. 

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. 

Members
201 posts
2,696 battles

Don't. If you haven't gotten at least a hundredish battles in tier tens then you aren't ready for it. Its a completely different game than randoms. Positioning matters, teamwork happens at a not infrequent rate, one ship lost in the beginning usually has HUGE consequences for that team.

Unless your a god at your Musashi (can't tell because someone has his stats hidden) don't do it. Not even in a Yammy. You'll be put in situations where you NEED to win a brawl or survive a 2v1 to win, and without some experience you wont be able to do it.

Edited by Sou1forge

[PVE]
Members
497 posts
4,086 battles

Ranked is not worth the doubloons to convert a ton of FXP. Just top out the T8 ranks then go back to randoms and play up a line. Chances are good that you can progress up from T8 to T10 in between this season and the next one.

I was able to grind up to T10 in between seasons and I don't play near as much as many people do.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,767 battles
2 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

Ranked is not worth the doubloons to convert a ton of FXP. Just top out the T8 ranks then go back to randoms and play up a line. Chances are good that you can progress up from T8 to T10 in between this season and the next one.

I was able to grind up to T10 in between seasons and I don't play near as much as many people do.

Agree, stick with the tier 8 part and get it finished. 

• Cool 1

[SOB]
Members
254 posts
3,237 battles
5 hours ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

In response to the person who noticed my stats were hidden. Yup. I learned a few things in tanks that have resulted in my ships stats never being publicly available. 1) If you suck, people will tell you that you suck. 2) If you are awesome, you get focused in game. 3) If you are are awesome but have an off game or 3, refer to #1.  A game should be a game and not have those stressers. 

To everyone else, thanks for the replies. 

Im not sure why you down voted VGLance, he gave you solid advice. 

Im afraid I dont buy your reasoning to hide stats. IMO stats are their to keep everyone honest. If you suck then you just dont want everyone to know you suck, if you're awesome you can handle being focused. In either case there is no reason to hide your stats unless you want to represent yourself as something you arent. 

Back to your original question. Stay in T8, T10 is a diff world & there is a better than even chance you wont like the meta. While you are discovering that you will be a detriment to the rest of your team in ranked.