You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
deresistance

Ranked-Tips and tricks tier X

4 comments in this topic

[RMRGD]
Members
173 posts
16,703 battles

This is a re-post from my review last season.    I thought I was going to stop but I want steel and I do not play in clan battles.   So I am back.   This will be my 6th season of ranking out (long as I do it)  Stats below.    I am close to a unicum player but I am not the best.  I am a good player in DDs, CAs, and pretty solid in BBs.   I am not a unicum, super unicum, nor am I playing for OPG/ZR/I/K etc etc etc.   Wanted to give some solid advice to more skilled but average players.

Season - # of Battles

• 4 – 166
  • 5 – 349
  • 6 – 138
  • 7 – 218
  • 8 – 357
  • 9 – 320

My thoughts on ranked

It’s a chore.   Its stressful.    It is very competitive and can be very fun.   However the worst thing is playing a great game.   Everyone is feeling positive, each side thanks each other for a GG.   Then you go to the next game and its thrown.  You lose a star and they cancel each other out like you fell into a black hole.    The abyss is real.   I actually find this to be the worst part.

The other key thing is early on in ranked.  I can get to 5 pretty quick.   In season 9 I was able to be 1 star from Ranked 2 in under 130 games.  And it took 320 games to rank out.   Yes it was rough.   I was so back and forth.    It became easier as the super unicums ranked out.   I don’t hide that fact.   Ironically, I finished strong with the Shim this season.  But saved stars most often with Conqueror. 

Some advice for current Rank Season 9 now 10

• ·         If the other team has all the radar and your team has none it is extremely difficult to get a win
  • ·         Unicum players make a huge difference in carrying the team.   You see one of those big names focus them down
  • ·         If you haven’t ever played ranks 5+ all players in those ranks typically know what they are doing.   They know the maps.    Work on who is going to what position.
  • ·         You play DDs?   LEARN all distances of radar coverage.  Des Moines 9.9 but you can spot them at 10.3 (or so).   Use that.   They sit and camp often.   Soon as you see a DM they will hit radar like its going out of style.    Run away and wait 1:30 or so.    Then spot him for your team.   He will pay the price.    **Thanks jason199506 adding your comment**
    •       top config(radar mod) des moines is 9.9km 56seconds, he is spotted 10.6km away
    •       top config minotaur is 9.9km 56seconds, he is spotted 8.9km away
    •       top config moskva is 11.7km 35 seconds, he is spotted 13.8km away
  • ·         DD advice #2 – You know the YueYung and their radar?   Don’t smoke up and run.   You keep your smoke down and keep him spotted so your team can help.    And they will.   Everyone wants a piece
  • ·         You a DD player -  Your gonna lose a star most if not all the time.   Get used to it.   You carry the games and you wont deal as much damage as a BB/CA.  So that star is gone in a loss
  • ·         BBs snipe.   They hit hard.    Protect them as they save you often
  • ·         Cruisers camp in the usual spots 90% of the time.   Know them and spot them.  Or drop the occasional fish for maximum fun
  • ·         Radio Location is required for all DDs and is very OP in ranked.    Use it, love it, and for the love of all communicate it with your team.    
  • ·         All Minotaurs and YueYungs have radar in ranks 5 – 1.   Assume it always
  • ·         Never broadside to a minotaur.  Or better yet never show a flat side to a minotaur.    Those DDs who have a flat butt.    Even tier X DDs can bounce his shells long as you don’t show flat sides
  • ·         Spotting wins games
  •        If you spot a Minotaur and your a DD he will instantly pop radar.  Its a good 3-4km to outrun his radar and he will chase you.   Don't show sides and call for support.   BBs love to farm that damage from Minos.  
  •        BBs stay at a distance that is safe enough to go dark and heal.   If you get focused you can't turn around and run easily.   Team needs your tanky ability don't die early.   Its ok to hold fire and heal
  •        Stalingrads are not OP but keep fires on her.  That DOT will help a ton and she is a hard shell to crack.
  •        Lot of Worcesters in high ranks.   They are very difficult to hit with torpedo, has radar, AA, but she can easily get deleted when focused on.  Smash that F3 key when you see one and your team has shots on her. 
  •        DD you want to take on that Worcester?   Don't you will die.   Get someone with real guns to do it
  •        BB's don't snipe and sit still with a Worcester around.   She will burn you down with ease.  The spam is real. 
  •        12km+ its easy to dodge Worcester shells.    Since they sit in the air for 10 minutes before hitting the water. 

Some advice for Rank Seasons in general

• ·         Play the ship you are most comfortable with.   Its rare there is an OP ship.   **cough Belfast season **cough   
  • ·         Losing team will have major salt.   Get used to it do not be a part of it.   Offer good advice to player do not call them dumb
  • ·         Damage dealt keep you from losing a star.   But capping objectives wins games. 
  • ·         Going dark and not shooting is A GREAT OPTION try it.   Your death loses the team points
  • ·         Soon as you spot a DD call it out to the team.   DDs win games.  DDs carry games.   A team that loses their DDs early almost always lose
  • ·         Call out low HP targets.   We love kills
  • ·         Setting 1 fire to a BB is good.  He will let it burn and get you damage.   Move to other targets.   He will waste a heal on your 1 fire.   Let him.   Later in the game you want to be sure he has none left.
  • ·         Call out damage control usage.  If you know that target is vulnerable everyone will open up on him.   BBs take damage that you don’t want
  • ·         Smoke is EVIL unless you have someone spotting, or you know your target doesn’t have radar/hydro.       Don’t ever sit in smoke if there is even a slight chance torps are coming.   You have all done it. 
  • ·         Flanking wins games often.   Even if you do not deal much damage.   Causing a cross fire or pulling ships away from the main line is HUGE.
  •         Do not hold positions to your death.    A ship living gets points.    Kite from a flank will buy time to your team.  If your team is at risk of a broadside flank then you may need to hold.   
  •          Not spotted?   In a DD?   do a little duca duca to draw enemy fire away from your friendly BBs.    Gives them time to heal.   
  •  

Remember it’s a random team, random game, random skill, and random number generators.   Get used to it, it can be good and bad.  This will be my last season ever o7 to all of you.   See you out there.

**Adding some updates as you either post them or corrections

• Cool 7

Members
1,161 posts
501 battles
8 minutes ago, deresistance said:

This is a re-post from my review last season.    I thought I was going to stop but I want steel and I do not play in clan battles.   So I am back.   This will be my 6th season of ranking out (long as I do it)  Stats below.    I am close to a unicum player but I am not the best.  I am a good player in DDs, CAs, and pretty solid in BBs.   I am not a unicum, super unicum, nor am I playing for OPG/ZR/I/K etc etc etc.   Wanted to give some solid advice to more skilled but average players.

Season - # of Battles

• 4 – 166
  • 5 – 349
  • 6 – 138
  • 7 – 218
  • 8 – 357
  • 9 – 320

My thoughts on ranked

It’s a chore.   Its stressful.    It is very competitive and can be very fun.   However the worst thing is playing a great game.   Everyone is feeling positive, each side thanks each other for a GG.   Then you go to the next game and its thrown.  You lose a star and they cancel each other out like you fell into a black hole.    The abyss is real.   I actually find this to be the worst part.

The other key thing is early on in ranked.  I can get to 5 pretty quick.   In season 9 I was able to be 1 star from Ranked 2 in under 130 games.  And it took 320 games to rank out.   Yes it was rough.   I was so back and forth.    It became easier as the super unicums ranked out.   I don’t hide that fact.   Ironically, I finished strong with the Shim this season.  But saved stars most often with Conqueror. 

Some advice for current Rank Season 9 now 10

• ·         If the other team has all the radar and your team has none it is extremely difficult to get a win
  • ·         Unicum players make a huge difference in carrying the team.   You see one of those big names focus them down
  • ·         If you haven’t ever played ranks 5+ all players in those ranks typically know what they are doing.   They know the maps.    Work on who is going to what position.
  • ·         You play DDs?   LEARN all distances of radar coverage.  Des Moines 9.9 but you can spot them at 10.3 (or so).   Use that.   They sit and camp often.   Soon as you see a DM they will hit radar like its going out of style.    Run away and wait 1:30 or so.    Then spot him for your team.   He will pay the price.    **Thanks jason199506 adding your comment**
    •       top config(radar mod) des moines is 9.9km 56seconds, he is spotted 10.6km away
    •       top config minotaur is 9.9km 56seconds, he is spotted 8.9km away
    •       top config moskva is 11.7km 35 seconds, he is spotted 13.8km away
  • ·         DD advice #2 – You know the YueYung and their radar?   Don’t smoke up and run.   You keep your smoke down and keep him spotted so your team can help.    And they will.   Everyone wants a piece
  • ·         You a DD player -  Your gonna lose a star most if not all the time.   Get used to it.   You carry the games and you wont deal as much damage as a BB/CA.  So that star is gone in a loss
  • ·         BBs snipe.   They hit hard.    Protect them as they save you often
  • ·         Cruisers camp in the usual spots 90% of the time.   Know them and spot them.  Or drop the occasional fish for maximum fun
  • ·         Radio Location is required for all DDs and is very OP in ranked.    Use it, love it, and for the love of all communicate it with your team.    
  • ·         All Minotaurs and YueYungs have radar in ranks 5 – 1.   Assume it always
  • ·         Never broadside to a minotaur.  Or better yet never show a flat side to a minotaur.    Those DDs who have a flat butt.    Even tier X DDs can bounce his shells long as you don’t show flat sides
  • ·         Spotting wins games
  •        If you spot a Minotaur and your a DD he will instantly pop radar.  Its a good 3-4km to outrun his radar and he will chase you.   Don't show sides and call for support.   BBs love to farm that damage from Minos.  
  •        BBs stay at a distance that is safe enough to go dark and heal.   If you get focused you can't turn around and run easily.   Team needs your tanky ability don't die early.   Its ok to hold fire and heal
  •        Stalingrads are not OP but keep fires on her.  That DOT will help a ton and she is a hard shell to crack.
  •        Lot of Worcesters in high ranks.   They are very difficult to hit with torpedo, has radar, AA, but she can easily get deleted when focused on.  Smash that F3 key when you see one and your team has shots on her. 
  •        DD you want to take on that Worcester?   Don't you will die.   Get someone with real guns to do it
  •        BB's don't snipe and sit still with a Worcester around.   She will burn you down with ease.  The spam is real. 
  •        12km+ its easy to dodge Worcester shells.    Since they sit in the air for 10 minutes before hitting the water. 

Some advice for Rank Seasons in general

• ·         Play the ship you are most comfortable with.   Its rare there is an OP ship.   **cough Belfast season **cough   
  • ·         Losing team will have major salt.   Get used to it do not be a part of it.   Offer good advice to player do not call them dumb
  • ·         Damage dealt keep you from losing a star.   But capping objectives wins games. 
  • ·         Going dark and not shooting is A GREAT OPTION try it.   Your death loses the team points
  • ·         Soon as you spot a DD call it out to the team.   DDs win games.  DDs carry games.   A team that loses their DDs early almost always lose
  • ·         Call out low HP targets.   We love kills
  • ·         Setting 1 fire to a BB is good.  He will let it burn and get you damage.   Move to other targets.   He will waste a heal on your 1 fire.   Let him.   Later in the game you want to be sure he has none left.
  • ·         Call out damage control usage.  If you know that target is vulnerable everyone will open up on him.   BBs take damage that you don’t want
  • ·         Smoke is EVIL unless you have someone spotting, or you know your target doesn’t have radar/hydro.       Don’t ever sit in smoke if there is even a slight chance torps are coming.   You have all done it. 
  • ·         Flanking wins games often.   Even if you do not deal much damage.   Causing a cross fire or pulling ships away from the main line is HUGE.
  •         Do not hold positions to your death.    A ship living gets points.    Kite from a flank will buy time to your team.  If your team is at risk of a broadside flank then you may need to hold.   
  •          Not spotted?   In a DD?   do a little duca duca to draw enemy fire away from your friendly BBs.    Gives them time to heal.   
  •  

Remember it’s a random team, random game, random skill, and random number generators.   Get used to it, it can be good and bad.  This will be my last season ever o7 to all of you.   See you out there.

**Adding some updates as you either post them or corrections

oI5jBgT.gif

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Been looking for some numbers for comparison, as this is my first ranked season with a tier 10. Thanks!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,741 battles
2 hours ago, deresistance said:

My thoughts on ranked

It’s a chore.   Its stressful.  

These two things along with the impact of the teams play, you can play the game of your life and at best not lose a star while on the flip side you can potato out of the match early on and win a star, stops me from playing more than a few matches. I made it to 19 before it got to me last season and my objective for this one is 18.