You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

Certain Clans Favored by Match Making

66 comments in this topic

[TRG]
Members
35 posts
11,876 battles

Me and a couple Players from different clan That I talk with came up with a test and got some interesting results. Ive noticed in two yrs of playing that some clans seem to be matched up with bad players resulting in good play by Me or one of my Clan members but still resulting in a loss, While members from certain top tier clans seem to be matched with players who have Lower win rates.  We spent a week gathering results from 3 players from 3 different clans. A Clan with a 47% win rate, mine with a 49% win rate and a Top tier clan with a 58% win rate. We made a list of players from each side in over 150 games. Then we checked the profile of the Player and the Clan they were in and found that the Player with 47% win rate was put against a team who had an average of 55% win rate. I was put against players that averaged 53% win rate While My Friend in a Top Tier clan was put in games that averaged a 47% win rate. I was kind of not surprised to find this out. I know I will receive some negative feedback but the numbers and math don't lie. My friends and I also know we probably will never be able to find out why this is Done by Match making or why they seem to favor some clans over others. Just found it interesting.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 7
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles

There are only two truisms in MM. If I win, it was fair matchmaking.

If I lose, WG inserted a bug in my queing process to dictate that I teamed with total scrubs and that they are out to get me.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Bad 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,000 posts
8,978 battles

Good clans inherently get good matchmaking as they are better than what is considered average and what MM has to fill the teams with. So if a clan plays in a div, they only have 9 slots filled with random, likely average stat players vs a team that has 12 random likely stat average players. Good players typically get good MM because they automatically make their teams better.

MM also is supposed to match up divisions, so that the divs are equally on each team (+/- 1) So if you have a div of 60% players, more than likely they will be matched up with a div of average 49% players.

So congratulations OP, you have figured out statistics and odds in WoWs.

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 5

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
1 hour ago, GSXstage1 said:

Me and a couple Players from different clan That I talk with came up with a test and got some interesting results. Ive noticed in two yrs of playing that some clans seem to be matched up with bad players resulting in good play by Me or one of my Clan members but still resulting in a loss, While members from certain top tier clans seem to be matched with players who have Lower win rates.  We spent a week gathering results from 3 players from 3 different clans. A Clan with a 47% win rate, mine with a 49% win rate and a Top tier clan with a 58% win rate. We made a list of players from each side in over 150 games. Then we checked the profile of the Player and the Clan they were in and found that the Player with 47% win rate was put against a team who had an average of 55% win rate. I was put against players that averaged 53% win rate While My Friend in a Top Tier clan was put in games that averaged a 47% win rate. I was kind of not surprised to find this out. I know I will receive some negative feedback but the numbers and math don't lie. My friends and I also know we probably will never be able to find out why this is Done by Match making or why they seem to favor some clans over others. Just found it interesting.

Show the data.

• Cool 2

Members
5 posts
2,515 battles
1 hour ago, GSXstage1 said:

2 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Show the data.

This.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,221 posts
3,566 battles
43 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Show the data.

Who needs data when you have feels.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,387 battles

@GSXstage1 MM considers only tier and ship type and tries to balance divisions by only tier and ship type. MM does not in any way consider player skill, clan names nor ship setups or Captain skill setups. 

[MIA-A]
Members
1,944 posts
6,549 battles

This is by definition for how statistics work.

Clans with 59% WRs are less common than ~50% (or high 40s). So by definition, a clan with a 59% WR is more likely to be matched to a div with a lower WR because clan matching is random.

This also means their team's average winrate will be higher, because... they have three 59% players instead of three 49% players. If you take a team of those three 59% players and pick 9 other random players, you are very likely to end up with a team with a better WR than a team which takes three 49% players and adds 9 other random players.

It's how probability/statistics work...

• Cool 3

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
158 posts
1,498 battles

Is it POSSIBLE that MM is rigged?  Sure.

Is it PROBABLE that MM is rigged?  No.

[WGA]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff, Retired Community Contributors
247 posts
12,193 battles

Heyo Captains, 

There is no such preferential matchmaking for clans, division or individual players. MM is only restricted by attempting to match even ship types/tiers within the first 3 minutes of queue after which it reverts to the old MM which attempts to put 12 players per a team.

Fem,

• Cool 5

[RKLES]
Members
7,094 posts
8,743 battles
25 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

Heyo Captains, 

There is no such preferential matchmaking for clans, division or individual players. MM is only restricted by attempting to match even ship types/tiers within the first 3 minutes of queue after which it reverts to the old MM which attempts to put 12 players per a team.

Fem,

Yes and actually one could argue that a top Clan has MM slightly rigged against them if anything. Since if you are in a top clan then enemy will likely recognize you as a good player that needs to be focus fired on...

[TRG]
Members
35 posts
11,876 battles

Some argued that a Top tier win rate clan Member with be matched with a low tier because his win rate is rare...Ok,,Then why when we checked the stats,,,My friend and I, which have win rates of 47 and 49 percent,,Why are we matched against teams that over half have win rates of over 52 percent,,and a few higher than that? That goes against your logic. When we checked games teams via screenshots,,we found one team with low win rates and the other always was higher. Sorry, The evidence shows MM is putting Low Win rates against High. At least what we saw showed that. We are not experts and our tests could be flawed but simple math and visual evidence that we saw say different

Edited by GSXstage1
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,926 posts
6,423 battles
4 hours ago, GSXstage1 said:

you hear that? thats the sound of tinfoil hats being put on

[MIA-A]
Members
1,944 posts
6,549 battles
6 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Some argued that a Top tier win rate clan Member with be matched with a low tier because his win rate is rare...Ok,,Then why when we checked the stats,,,My friend and I, which have win rates of 47 and 49 percent,,Why are we matched against teams that over half have win rates of over 52 percent,,and a few higher than that? That goes against your logic. When we checked games teams via screenshots,,we found one team with low win rates and the other always was higher. Sorry, The evidence shows MM is putting Low Win rates against High. At least what we saw showed that. We are not experts and our tests could be flawed but simple math and visual evidence that we saw say different

If it makes you feel better, as someone with a 57% overall winrate, the teams I'm on are wildly inconsistent in terms of average winrates.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,499 battles
4 hours ago, GSXstage1 said:

My theory for MM and I would think apply to Clans and why at times it seems so counter productive is it’s geared to what makes the most $$  for Wows

were every shot.. turn, every player is recorded, it to me makes the most sense

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

This is by definition for how statistics work.

Clans with 59% WRs are less common than ~50% (or high 40s). So by definition, a clan with a 59% WR is more likely to be matched to a div with a lower WR because clan matching is random.

This also means their team's average winrate will be higher, because... they have three 59% players instead of three 49% players. If you take a team of those three 59% players and pick 9 other random players, you are very likely to end up with a team with a better WR than a team which takes three 49% players and adds 9 other random players.

It's how probability/statistics work...

This is a VERY good post, Enderland.

Also, the very fact that a clan of 59%-ers beings a 3 ship div to a team is automatically going to mean that they have a statistical advantage if one assumes that all other players on both teams are server average at around 50%. 

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
346 posts
8,362 battles

Your numbers aren't relevant. Three people does not make a study.