You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_Painted_Target

Royal Navy Carriers of the "Pinup" Video

12 comments in this topic

Members
280 posts
5,022 battles

So this ends up being pure speculation, but with Gamescon and the brief mention of a CV rework coming soon (tm) I saw this image posted around a few discord channels.

It comes from the "Pinup" music video around the 4:20 mark (har har)

image.thumb.png.6bc1eea869696966c98984337c78495c.png

Note the plane on the right with the 6 bladed prop. I don't know planes very well but I'm confident that is some kind of Spitfire or Swordfish (correct me if you know what it is)

And then it gets more interesting a few seconds later.
image.thumb.png.0ff908064221ff88f77d0bb72e90cbaa.png

Enhance! The planes on the aft of the carrier appear to be Blackburn Firebrands, which could carry a single 2000lb (910kg) bomb beneath each wing. The carrier itself appears to be of the Illustrious class. Whether or not WG decides to announce Royal Navy carriers in the possible upcoming CV rework information, or this is just a nod at something that is way further down the pipeline, seeing these in a video with cinematic-grade models is certainly something to be hopeful for.
image.png.ca6d0e20cab7c579f89f5fe790d099d8.png

Thoughts?

• Cool 2

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,391 posts
4,284 battles

Time to place your bets! What stupid gimmicks will Wargaming attach to British ships this time? :cap_popcorn:

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles

Can't remember which year it was but they teased I think it was last year TWO UK lines, of which we only got one. Which they also promised the CV rework which A never happened and B: what changes they made backfired massively and well, then you had the GZ debacle. I believe in the same video they also had the "Ice Carrier", not trying to spell that bloody name, which seemed to further hint that it was possibly UK CV's. As well as the lack of a line being added in oh, 4 years (counting alpha/beta). 

And I do believe your right on the ship, it does appear to be illustrious class, at least, the third ship in line with the possible Firebrand. Your guess of Swordfish though is painfully far off and most likely, although far closer, spitfire.

However the answer for the 6 bladed plane is simply that it isn't British. Look at the far shot again - That is either Taiho or more likely, Hakuryu. And that plane is from that carrier, mostly likely the "A8M" as it looks like the Ki-94-II which was intended to have a 6 bladed prop - I do not own Hak yet so can't further confirm this. Could also be the insanely fake Wakusei. The problem of Wargaming making things up and not just say, calling it a Ki-94 conversion if that's what it is. 

And even if it were British, the nose is too flat at the front to be the Contra-rotating prop Seafire Mk 47 (which had 6 blades), and the other remote options, especially between tier 8 and 10 (illustrious herself would be 8 material at best, this could, however, actually be the Malta class - the likely tier 10 of the UK line), and they borrowed heavily from Illustrious and Midway (they were taking lessons from USN action and she was becoming more like a UK Midway class) to make the ship. Which the Firebrand is in the tier 8-10 range of aircraft (depending on role). The other two options were that not an IJN ship would be the Sea Fury, but that was a 5 bladed plane, and the Wyvern, but that is 2 4 prop blades meaning 8 total unlike the Seafires 2 triple blades. Then again the F4U's on now Midway (formerly Essex) are the 6 gun variant and while the drop off makes sense between F6F and F4U (90 rounds less per gun), makes none for the F4U-4 unless it was the 20 mm variant which had just over half the ammo. And the F8F which was designed as basically a "better Wildcat", except that pesky detaching wing,  designed to operate off smaller carriers as the tier 10. Navy actually used Corsairs still, even if more ground attack (still had them fighting aircraft though) in Korea, first time the F8F ever saw combat was the ones we sold to the French around the Indo-China war. Stack on tier 8 Bf-109"T" fighters and Stuka's, while they later downgraded the 109's to tier 7, when these are 109E's that are converted to CV use and Stuka's from 1938, against late war USN and IJN planes, I have some issues with Wargaming when it comes to planes, models of them, etc. 

If I had to take a guess, first ship is Midway (the one this takes place on) however, while it keeps consistency with the video - not sure why it has F4F/F6F's on the deck, unless those are meant to be the F8F's it no longer has. As I said above, 2nd ship is likely Hak, possibly Taiho. That 3rd though, if I'm right that the other two are tier 10's, I'm guessing Malta actually instead of Illustrious, as it'd be weird to have possibly 2 tier 10's then an 8. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,370 posts
7,948 battles
16 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Time to place your bets! What stupid gimmicks will Wargaming attach to British ships this time? :cap_popcorn:

Torpedo focus, with one, if any, DB groups, maybe 5 planes per group stock, gets the third TB group sooner than IJN but has lower damage. Chevron/arrow formation. Middle of the road fighters. I don't see DWT's added, but won't rule them out. Basically the true capital ship predator, with IJN being a bit more goes after everything. If they go like UK BB's they will likely have AA as good or better than USN. Armoured decks I'm gonna take a stab that they have better protection at range from gun fire and bomb protection. Long shot first CV's to get a heal. 

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts
24 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Im hoping they will come with a heal. :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles

I'd say the heavily-bladed plane would be the Hawker SeaFury (1946, navalised version of the Fury which was a lightweight version of the Hawker Tempest II).

Avios-Sea-Fury_4_0.jpg

The carrier could be a poor rendering of HMS Formidable... one of the "Batch 1" armoured carriers (that radar mast alongside the tower is waaay too far over - the only one of the armoured carriers that had it intruding into the deck in even a remotely similar way, Formidable. Illustrious had a pole mast protruding onto the deck for its first six months of service, but again nowhere near that far inset. ). Though based on the 40mm mounts under the round-down of the main deck, that looks to be a very hypothetical modified version. But the distinctive 'pillbox' 4.5in mounts on the 'four quarters' does identify it as a remotely British design.

(There were four types:  Illustrious, Formidable, Victorious (Batch 1), Indomitable (Batch 2), Indefatigable, Implacable (Batch 3). The Audacious class was a follow-up armoured carrier design - but that screen capture looks nothing like it.)

?format=750w

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles
45 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

The Royal Navy believed heavily in the torpedo. Dive-bombing was not ignored (that was an RAF "thing"), but it was considered secondary to the torpedo. (See, for example, the 1930s Skua which sank the first warship in the war - Konigsberg. Barracuda was primarily a torpedo bomber, with dive-bomber as a secondary role. Same with Swordfish. Development priority was on SeaMosquito and Spearfish torpedo bombers)

Therefore, I'm sure Wargaming will make the RN aircraft aerial leaflet droppers...

• Funny 2

[SPTR]
Members
25,618 posts
10,807 battles

Good analysis on the video once have I not thought those were even british CVs

[LODGE]
[LODGE]
Members
68 posts
11,280 battles

The First Carrier is of the Yorktown class. The Enterprise  is my guess. Check the arch on the port side of the island supporting the Pri-fly control station and the bow view with the AAA gun under the flight deck.

Members
96 posts
153 battles
1 hour ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

There dive bombers will get special HE bombs that are made from 419mm Conquerer shells with 86% fire chance and some sort of special fuse that starts the fire burning deep inside your ship melting it like it was made of Magnesium is my bet.