You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KSN

Is this beyond the pale? Or is it just me??

52 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,214 battles

Toxic chat... I've seen my share since starting to play in CBT, I'm even guilty of it. But this has got to be just about THE most awful thing I've ever seen anyone post in a match (Edited to conform with forum rules):

5b8263ac8dcdf_ThemostawfulthingIveeverseeninchat.thumb.jpg.1d089c878594d6cae851c302224814dd.jpg

Is it just me that thinks not just the words, but the meaning and import of those words is simply beyond the pale, and a total breach of red lines that you simply do not cross?

I seriously would like to know. As I'm getting older, I can 'see' the generational gap; but I always thought there were lines that civil people just didn't ever cross.

Is it because this is the internet?

I'm just completely shocked and appalled by this.

Members
705 posts

Pathetic but unsurprising. Places like Reddit, 4chan, and the gaming community are the vanguard in the fight for unfettered bad taste.

Welcome to the brave new world of roll your own decorum.

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
210 posts
4,056 battles

You'd shutter at the chat in World of Tanks.  I have it disabled in that game.  Like 1/5 games will have someone throwing around racial slurs, usually anti-semetic, like they're going out of style.  Plus almost no one types anything useful, it's all insults.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
557 posts

sadly, not even in the ballpark of some of the things ive been told in WoWs chat.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,214 battles
29 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

Did you send the original to WG staff?

inB4 lock

I did.

And I contacted the Clan recruiter via PM.

Hopefully a Moderator will not see this thread the wrong way (which is why I blocked the players name); the questions were legit, and not an attempt to generate controversy.

I'm really wondering if Clan officers should police their members when complaints come in. I've been a Director in EVE Online, and the 'clans' (Corporations/Alliances) don't put up with line members tarnishing the groups reputation with racist or outrageous @#$@ - they get kicked with little remorse.

Personally I choose not to be in a clan, despite the occasional after match invite, but if I were a Clan Officer I'd kick this guy to the curb without a second thought.

• Cool 3

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,336 posts
3,646 battles
33 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

Did you send the original to WG staff?

inB4 lock

....there is literally no cause for this to get locked from what I've seen.

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Agreed, they need to ban the whiners in game chat. The ones who start at the very beginning about radar ships, or the other carrier being OP or the ones with 40% winrates calling everyone on the team losers. 

They don't though. 

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

WG needs to take a firmer stance on this type of talk. I mean yeah everyone in the game can just be expected to ignore it, or disable chat and alter their gameplay experience... so one random [edited] can shoot his mouth off but that just isn't the way the world works anymore. 

So you report it, get some generic "we can't tell you what we're going to do but trust us, we will do something" reply. 

The tech support is meme generatingly bad and I cringe every time some intolerable [edited] starts f key Spamming to a degree that it needs to be reported... because now I know I have to go to support and answer 10 questions with questionable results  

So why bother reporting it you ask? 

That's a really good question...

I'd like to see weekly stats that demonstrate that something is being done. "We issued 1.2 million automated 24hour chat bans, 1 game ban and... 1 free ship to people who haven't played in 5 months." Or whatever.

I had a guy lob the N word at me a couple weeks ago in game- I mean he could have literally called me any other word but to go straight to that in the game while already on a reroll (he is no stranger to the forums) was astonishing to me. It doesn't offend me so much as that it's just not acceptable on any level for reasons beyond the scope of a gaming forum- everyone has their own reasons. 

Anyway... it's not as bad as some games but man I wish I could see a more tangible response.

• Cool 2

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,758 posts
12,414 battles

Report them in a ticket on every occurrence not just the profane but also the whiners and deriders. Let them draw a ban and then when they come here and whine about the ban report them again about that so they get a forum ban!

Cant handle the Truth downvoter! Bring them on waste your down votes here so you'll run out and not have one for the smuck that deserves it!

• Bad 1

[CAFE]
Members
1,393 posts
10,655 battles

I am not too surprised that the chat escalated to that level. First off it is ranked, which is a salt generating game mode, and it looks like your whole team was arguing and it eventually went too far... 

• Bad 1

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,694 battles

They blame violent video games for school shootings but Japan has 10 times more blood and gore in their games and no real world violence. It's not the games, it's the fact that parents use games as a surrogate because they're too lazy to be parents. So you get already troubled kids spending almost every waking moment not learning how to properly assimilate into society and they do and say things that result in rejection and further isolation. That ends up leading to resentment and anger which a select few manage to act out physically.

This gaming community no doubt has powder kegs playing it like any other game.

What would really be telling is if we could somehow see videos of what it looks like in real time when some players in this community have meltdowns over things said and done in game.  There are freak shows going on constantly throughout the day that we don't even know about. And I'm not talking about the anime body pillow crowd either but that's a whole other kind of freak show which as long as they don't hurt others is fine by me. Like those folks who make love to their automobiles.  Victimless activity as long as you don't get anything stuck in the tailpipe...

... and if you do, you must be Italian.

Edited by VGLance
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 1

Beta Testers
1,166 posts
7,933 battles

Honestly, my favourite "wth" insult in chat I've ever received was somebody using "you're adopted!".

I mean, yeah, I am, but, really?

• Funny 2

Members
17,763 posts
5,084 battles
16 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Honestly, my favourite "wth" insult in chat I've ever received was somebody using "you're adopted!".

I mean, yeah, I am, but, really?

Yup, whenever I get called "bastard", I just say "and? I've known I was one since I was 5".

Members
17,763 posts
5,084 battles
4 hours ago, KSN said:

I'm really wondering if Clan officers should police their members when complaints come in.

They generally do, according to the rules of their clan.

4 hours ago, KSN said:

I've been a Director in EVE Online, and the 'clans' (Corporations/Alliances) don't put up with line members tarnishing the groups reputation with racist or outrageous @#$@ - they get kicked with little remorse.

The thing is though, here, there's no clan interaction, no role-playing. If your clan is competitive, there's no advantage/disadvantage to any kind of reputation whatsoever.

4 hours ago, KSN said:

Personally I choose not to be in a clan, despite the occasional after match invite, but if I were a Clan Officer I'd kick this guy to the curb without a second thought.

Depends who you are, and what your clan's aims are. If you're all about winning, and the loudmouth is a good player, kicking him could start the dominoes; other players perceive you as not prioritising winning, and they leave. Then the rest go, because now their clan is gutted.

All those who left start a new clan, and now you have the same players saying the same things, and now you're on the outside, and not winning anything

Not necessarily excusable, just the way it is.

• Cool 1

[JUICE]
Members
814 posts
6,369 battles
2 hours ago, Captain_Kylere said:

Agreed, they need to ban the whiners in game chat. The ones who start at the very beginning about radar ships, or the other carrier being OP or the ones with 40% winrates calling everyone on the team losers. 

They don't though. 

If they did that there would only be about 50 of us playing the game. lol :Smile_trollface:

[SPCU]
Members
68 posts
3,673 battles

It's a shame it devolves into racial slurs and foul language. I like getting them riled with gems like "Your mom dresses you funny" or "Your simian countenance suggests a heritage unusually rich in species diversity" but that's just me. Sort of a don't raise your voice improve your argument stance.

• Funny 1

Members
4,443 posts
6,143 battles
5 hours ago, FirestormMk3 said:

You'd shutter at the chat in World of Tanks.  I have it disabled in that game.  Like 1/5 games will have someone throwing around racial slurs, usually anti-semetic, like they're going out of style.  Plus almost no one types anything useful, it's all insults.

WoW has IMO gotten a bit nastier as time marches on but it's rare that I see anything really over the top. Most here are pretty nice.  However WOT seems to attract some real freaks. Not sure why. I do know that many in that game are totally psycho about their stats and just spew hate at anyone they feel is messing them up. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles

It's idiocy being spurted by idiots who have no idea of how idiotic their rantings are, not to be taken seriously (on the criminal level)... but yes, in extraordinarily bad taste, and the less of it we see, the better.

• Cool 2

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
418 posts
1,822 battles
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

They blame violent video games for school shootings but Japan has 10 times more blood and gore in their games and no real world violence. It's not the games, it's the fact that parents use games as a surrogate because they're too lazy to be parents. So you get already troubled kids spending almost every waking moment not learning how to properly assimilate into society and they do and say things that result in rejection and further isolation. That ends up leading to resentment and anger which a select few manage to act out physically.

This gaming community no doubt has powder kegs playing it like any other game.

What would really be telling is if we could somehow see videos of what it looks like in real time when some players in this community have meltdowns over things said and done in game.  There are freak shows going on constantly throughout the day that we don't even know about. And I'm not talking about the anime body pillow crowd either but that's a whole other kind of freak show which as long as they don't hurt others is fine by me. Like those folks who make love to their automobiles.  Victimless activity as long as you don't get anything stuck in the tailpipe.

^^ That.

Also the ones you gotta worry about are not the loud ones but the quiet ones, as going postal goes. I've been playing online games since Doom over IPX (and MUD, but that was just nice), and grown a very thick skin over the years. I react to direct death threats and report those, that's about it, but I've only seen that a handful of times in all my time on EU and NA combined (all of this is/was worse on EU, it is heaven over here).

Edited by Krautjaeger

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,117 battles

Sorry, but that is not all that bad or outrageous, I consider that mild at best. People need to get a thick skin! 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[2347]
Members
177 posts
4,717 battles

I sometimes wonder if unmoderated in-game chat isn't cause for ESRB to slap an M rating on games like this. It might be argued that WG can't control what individuals say, but WG does have absolute control over what appears in the game, including chat, even if that control is limited to an on/off switch. All it would take is one determined parent to find out his or her child is being bullied in a game rated T for Teen and the T for Trouble would start. The small "Other: Users Interact" descriptor would not be much of a defense if something like "World of Warships promotes school shootings!" is suddenly all over Facebook. Never mind if something unfortunate should actually happen to someone's child because of in-game bullying. It sounds stupid and unlikely, an over-reaction that doesn't deserve a second glance, but have you seen American news? Have you seen Facebook? It's the stupid stuff that can really bite you when you're not expecting it.

Anyway, it might behoove the developers to protect themselves if not their customers, because life is a box of chocolates.

Edited by _Starbuck
  • Cool 1

Members
1 post
3,141 battles

It is sometimes hard to predict the sociopathic paths of 14 year olds. 

I agree some bans should be given for extreme chat language. The bans don't need to be permanent to work.